The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

For those that may want to write to the cadet board...this was posted online....

XJ5z7mN.jpg

Mods: please remove post if against forum guidelines

Did some LinkedIn browsing.... The only board member that appears to have any connection to the marching arts is Roger Floreska.  He was a band director for about 5 years, ending in 2001.  The majority of the rest seem to be in positions that could not be further from youth, education, and/or arts.

... so weird that they botched this.

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I agree with this. According to the Philly Inquirer reporter, the YEA BOD was told by the Victim's Atty ( Hahn ) the details of each of the 9 separate acts of sexual abuse spanning decades. Only the names were withheld. But those names AND the women would be provided for interviews to YEA, if YEA agreed to suspend GH, and allow for a 3rd party independent investigation of the victims alleged abuses. If these are the terms, given the fact the alleged victimization span decades,  involved 9 people, and the sheer numbers of victims that will be made available for interviews to the YEA Board, it seems a no brainer to me. The YEA BOD needed to GH and told him he needs to step aside for a bit until this matter can be resolved by a 3rd party investigation, then DCI immediately notified as well of their decision. The YEA BOD however, in their quest to protect YEA  made a decision ( allowing GH to stay on with these multiple allegations from victim's Atty swirling about ) that was actually perhaps counterproductive to that quest. Given the depth and breadth of the multiplde acts of sexual abuse allegations, the YEA BOD had a moral, ethical, perhaps legal, obligation to make certain that the Cadets MM's, staffers, workers were now in no future potential harm.  They failed .. miserably... in their duties to fall on the side of caution and safety above all else, particularly when its a YOUTH organization they are representing.

I couldn’t agree more. There nothing more important than the MMs’ and staff’s safety and well being. When in doubt, err on that side.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

makes you wonder about what happened at the end of the 2016 season when a large portion of Cadets staff jumped ship, including long term staff. George has always had the reputation of being difficult to work with. Is there a possibility those staff also had a hunch about what was to come. I doubt it will happen but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of some of them.

And there it is.. AS I said many times earlier. this can go far beyond Cadets and Their board. We are a small and very much in breed activity in many ways. one can ask as you do WHY but also ask what did they know especially if they were around a very long time..This can spread very far. 

My heart goes out to all the victims and to the 2018 members. The door is open Mr. Hopkins. Please just go and save the victims and the Cadets anymore pain.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Did some LinkedIn browsing.... The only board member that appears to have any connection to the marching arts is Roger Floreska.  He was a band director for about 5 years, ending in 2001.  The majority of the rest seem to be in positions that could not be further from youth, education, and/or arts.

... so weird that they botched this.

I don’t believe the chairman mentioned any marching experience when we sat by him in LaCrosse last July.  

Edited by Terri Schehr

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Philly newspaper says they are printing part 2 on Sunday

Required reading for all in the drum corps community. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t believe the chairman mentioned any marching experience when we sat by him in LaCrosse last July.  

Anyone know what the process was to get on the board of YEA?  

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh how I would love to hear the story of your conversation that night.