The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

My attempt to work through all this on my blog.  Comment if you'd like.  Thanks guys. 

https://yhwhjanitor.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/what-to-do-about-george-hopkins/ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I can't see how the current YEA BOD is not replaced.  All of them. Their actions, coupled with that statement yesterday, would appear to have sealed their fate. Sounds like some decent folks with ties to the Cadets are prepared to clean house. Good for them. I wish them great success in their efforts to get control there....and before its too late.

This may come off as sounding unsympathetic, but it's not intended to be, as I know the men who have been asked to take the reigns of the Cadets and C2 (and the new CEO) respectively, but part of me is thinking that there needs to be a top-down overhaul of the entire management structure of YEA, the Cadets, and any other subsidiary program offering of YEA. New board of directors (first and foremost), new CEO, new directors of programs, new positions created (HR, for example), with extensive interviews of a variety of candidates with an eye towards the long-term. If there are people holding these current positions who would like to continue in those positions, they can be free to apply and interview for those jobs along with everybody else when the time comes, but nobody should just be rubber-stamped at this point. Not after what just took place. The new YEA should be seeking a blend of fresh new blood and old blood, people from outside the organization as well as those from within (in some cases people from outside the activity as well), definitely more women and people of color, and the selection process should be absolutely meticulous and painstakingly thorough.

I've always felt that YEA in theory was a wonderful concept, but as long as George ran it the way he did, it would never come close to being what it could be. They have an opportunity here to really put this thing back together the right way and for the long haul, but they need to find the right people and that takes time. But that can't happen with this current board of directors in place. They need to go, period. And as soon as is humanly possible. Obviously, they need a CEO and directors of the Cadets and C2 in the interim to get the two corps through the summer in one piece, and I think those gentlemen will do a fine job all things considered. They will also need a team back at the office to do the best they can to set up the band schedule for the fall. But the process of rebuilding YEA (in a truly substantial way, not cosmetic tweaks of just moving people around who have worked there for many years) has to start immediately. I don't envy anyone involved in attempting to accomplish this task, but I do wish them all good fortune in their efforts.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

My attempt to work through all this on my blog.  Comment if you'd like.  Thanks guys. 

https://yhwhjanitor.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/what-to-do-about-george-hopkins/ 

great read

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seen-it-all said:

This may come off as sounding unsympathetic, but it's not intended to be, as I know the men who have been asked to take the reigns of the Cadets and C2 (and the new CEO) respectively, but part of me is thinking that there needs to be a top-down overhaul of the entire management structure of YEA, the Cadets, and any other subsidiary program offering of YEA. New board of directors (first and foremost), new CEO, new directors of programs, new positions created (HR, for example), with extensive interviews of a variety of candidates with an eye towards the long-term. If there are people holding these current positions who would like to continue in those positions, they can be free to apply and interview for those jobs along with everybody else when the time comes, but nobody should just be rubber-stamped at this point. Not after what just took place. The new YEA should be seeking a blend of fresh new blood and old blood, people from outside the organization as well as those from within (in some cases people from outside the activity as well), definitely more women and people of color, and the selection process should be absolutely meticulous and painstakingly thorough.

I've always felt that YEA in theory was a wonderful concept, but as long as George ran it the way he did, it would never come close to being what it could be. They have an opportunity here to really put this thing back together the right way and for the long haul, but they need to find the right people and that takes time. But that can't happen with this current board of directors in place. They need to go, period. And as soon as is humanly possible. Obviously, they need a CEO and directors of the Cadets and C2 in the interim to get the two corps through the summer in one piece, and I think those gentlemen will do a fine job all things considered. They will also need a team back at the office to do the best they can to set up the band schedule for the fall. But the process of rebuilding YEA (in a truly substantial way, not cosmetic tweaks of just moving people around who have worked there for many years) has to start immediately. I don't envy anyone involved in attempting to accomplish this task, but I do wish them all good fortune in their efforts.

well said - completely agree about the board

I also agree that the "idea" of YEA.org was never going to be completely realized under Hopkins (even without the revelation of abuse) - perhaps now, let's hope, that idea and promise becomes fully realized

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I can't see how the current YEA BOD is not replaced.  All of them. Their actions, coupled with that statement yesterday, would appear to have sealed their fate. Sounds like some decent folks with ties to the Cadets are prepared to clean house. Good for them. I wish them great success in their efforts to get control there....and before its too late.

Agreed. 100% they MUST be replaced. ALL of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

See, this is where details and semantics make the difference.

"

And the discussions at hand were not about this specific case and, to my ear, there was only one reference to Cadets in organized meetings and the reference was to their recent hire .

Yes... and nowhere above did I mention that the winter meetings involved a public discussion there of the " specific case " of the Cadets. nor of its Executive Director. Yes, words do have their meaning. I wish you would not misquote mine. That said, do I believe that the Corps Directors had knowledge of what was about to occur there with the Cadets ? Yes. Most of them anyway, Do I think it prompted them to discuss the issue as to what they all can do to put systems in place, or shore up current policies and procedures  regarding issues surrounding sexual harrassment and such with their individual Corps ? Yes. Do I think the meetings involved  ( your words ) " discussions of the specific case " of the Cadets and its Director at the time ? No. And I never said this above either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. 100% they MUST be replaced. ALL of them. 

There are others who should be kept at a distance from the organization. 

• Like 1