The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

45 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

There are others who should be kept at a distance from the organization. 

One would assume that the current YEA Board, while still there, would have the legal (and common ) sense to instruct the resigned CEO there that he is to to stay away from schools, camps, offices, practice facilities where the Cadets organization current members will be, and where these alleged sexual crimes occured. Failure to do that, would likewise potentially present the YEA Board even further legal problems one would think. Since there is still an on going investigation into his behaviors, the YEA  BOD might be also wise to make sure they have no further written, verbal, phone, etc communication from here on out during the investigation period between the resigned former Executive Director and themselves, nor he with them. Let their respective lawyers handle any communication that might need to take place between YEA and its former CEO.  But... I suppose thats something this organization ( and perhaps DCI ) will have to decide on now moving forward.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's a digital publication distributed to thousands

Yes, I still have the ones back from when I marched and it was printed on paper. I subscribe to the online version but I never read them.

49 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

My attempt to work through all this on my blog.  Comment if you'd like.  Thanks guys. 

https://yhwhjanitor.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/what-to-do-about-george-hopkins/ 

Excellently expressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I can’t help what you believe and I can understand you’re having a difficult time believing Terri, however I found it difficult to believe when he was telling us how he became Mr. Peabody Chairmen of the Cadets BOD’s. We looked at each with this okay look on our face. Email him yourself and ask him directly because he didn’t seem hesitant to tell us. 

I don't doubt you. It just justifies my general perception of how the YEA board would have functioned even before these allegations came out.

How did the Cadets function before YEA was formed? I would believe they would have been some form of non profit organization back them that also should have had a BoD.

Edited by gbass598
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gbass598 said:

I don't doubt you. It just justifies my general perception of how the YEA board would have functioned even before these allegations came out.

How did the Cadets function before YEA was formed? I would believe they would have been some from of non profit organization back them that also should have had a BoD.

Just a guess here but I believe that anyone who gave him any pushback, was shown the door.  Basically, I think the board is a puppet show.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Just a guess here but I believe that anyone who gave him any pushback, was shown the door.  Basically, I think the board is a puppet show.  

Absolutely 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eleran said:

FORMERLY headed by  ...

And by the way, my local high band program is run by the husband of one of those 9 women, and still all of their competitions were USBand shows.

This is a situation I hope would behoove this band director to move to another competition circuit in NJ. Out of respect for his wife and the benefit of his schools music program.

There are some early indications into this sorry saga with YEA/ Cadets, that the victims will not be pursuing civil damages from YEA for these reprehensible behaviors if this matter is handled correctly moving forward. If so, this gives the new YEA a lifeline to perhaps be able to rebuild and to repair its damaged current reputation. That would be potentially good news here for all of us who never want to see any DCI Corps fail. But, this organization ( and perhaps DCI ) will need to handle this properly and efficiently moving  forward now. That goes without saying.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes and good people, even some whom who were recruited to serve on the board, left out of frustration. Hopefully that will change now, but him "resigning" was the easy part. The more difficult challenge will be to sever all his backchannel pathways into the organization. That will take time and seems to me that full credibility doesn't return until they can demonstrate that has been accomplished. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The quicker this BOD resigns the better - they cannot be a part of the process forward

I'd encourage Sean King (& others involved) to seat a temporary board while internal/external reviews are underway

I'd also encourage several other basic initial responses:

1. release any 2018 contracted member from their contract with a simple written request submitted by, say, May 1st

2. all staff and volunteers should receive harassment training and sign a detailed harassment policy (including a see-something, hear-something, say-something clause) prior to the corps moving in for ST

3. a key part of the internal investigation must be the "who knew what when" dynamic. Anyone who had first-hand knowledge of the reported abuses (and failed to report it) must be removed from the organization immediately IMO

4. DCI should place the Cadets organization "YEA" under probationary member status and start the clock ticking. An inadequate response by the Cadets organization should/must result in permanent suspension of their DCI member status. As a probationary organization they should lose voting status during the probationary period. I'm not certain how/if such a clause/status is written into the membership agreement - so this may require the adoption of a new process/policy on DCI's part. 

I’m sure when the paper publishes tomorrow’s follow up, the panic mode of the last 2 days will multiply exponentially 

• Like 3