The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

6 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The research into D&B abuse of young people beyond YEA/Cadets is already being organized at The Inquirer.

This is good.

What is better is that The Inquirer is owned by the (highest quality) McClatchy chain that has some 30 plus papers like the Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee, Wichita Eagle-Beacon and, like the Knight Ridder chain they acquired, a history and culture of developing writers over decades. Yeah, real adults who can scan a non-profit's annual Forms 990 and understands how to cross reference directors names' to records of civil actions in federal district courts. 

Real adult reporters with kids who can get good and angry at the subjects they discover has been cultivating their organizations as sex slave gardens.

Know it: you can almost smell the napalm on the streets of Indianapolis now.

Ha!

Hahaha!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

BYE! BYE! DCI!  

I'm not sure where you are getting the "BYE! BYE! DCI!" from, but I think your comments are over-exaggerated. 

There is no doubt that there will be more fall-out from this and that is sad. The most important thing is to encourage those who were abused to reach out and tell their story so they can have piece of mind and know that they helped to make DCI a better place.  We need to get rid of the scum and filth hurting the activity.  However, the activity also has a long and distinguished history of excellent teaching, mentoring, and amazing performance opportunities. 

American Drum & Bugle Corps have provided thousands and thousands of people with some of the best experiences of their lives.  The teamwork, training, performing, travel, and world-class instruction has led to success and enriched lives for hundreds of thousands of Americans. To falsely assume that it's all bad or that every director or staff member was some criminal is incredibly myopic and uninformed. 

• Like 6

Just now, BRASSO said:

Yes, people should remain focused on the victims and the decades of alleged sexual abuse, rape, etc here by this guy,... and not as you have brought up, the " gotcha " moments that some might be feeling now re. a guy they have not liked for years, but for different reasons.  All that is irrelevant at the moment, and as we read the 100 plus threads noe of commentary on here, 99% of it is on the victims and what this guy and YEA did, did not do.

100% agree. Although there is plenty there for many to sink their teeth into the allegations should be the focus and IMO deserve to be separated. 99% in one small place though doesn't mean what I said wasn't true.. IT IS BIG TIME. ( not that you said it wasn't true) my phone and e mails haven't stop.

56 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

This needs to happen.

Open all the doors and put it all out there. (edit: at every corps, not just Cadets)

Agreed. Incise and drain. Or extraction. Sometimes it’s the only way to cure an infection.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

A lot could happen here. It's hard to say how things will shake out. Saving US Bands is a big deal. If that falls apart then YEA may well be history. The alumni of The Cadets (Garfield/Holy Name) could easily take control of the D&BC and move operations back to New Jersey. Once the BOD is forced to step down, as I believe will happen, the present CEO and Director will need to move with efficiency and speed to put in place new plans for future success -- hopefully with the help of alumni. 

my question is how will th city of Allentown react to the Cadets being on the front page of news papers all across the country ?Still with  open arms ,or here's the door get out .

• Like 1

Just now, Florida Sun said:

my question is how will th city of Allentown react to the Cadets being on the front page of news papers all across the country ?Still with  open arms ,or here's the door get out .

I know what I hope BUT don't want to derail.. it's easy here..lol

18 hours ago, Seahawk said:

makes you wonder about what happened at the end of the 2016 season when a large portion of Cadets staff jumped ship, including long term staff. George has always had the reputation of being difficult to work with. Is there a possibility those staff also had a hunch about what was to come. I doubt it will happen but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of some of them.

I thought the same thing when I looked at an old thread discussing an email Hopkins sent out an emailadvertising for a new accounting position and his displeasure that the woman left without notice. (From the email quoted in the OP: “there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old.”) It was mentioned in the thread that it was possibly due to a family emergency but now it’s hard not to wonder if it this could’ve played a part. (Pure conjecture, of course.) Hopkins replied to the thread, actually— reading it now is nausea inducing. (I’ll find it in a sec...)

On 6/12/2009 at 12:48 PM, YEAguy said:

Tristan ???

You sent an e mail to me?

Really ?

I answer most every e mail I receive, and it is many ... I would be stunned if I did indeed receive it and I did not respond.

Perhaps it went to my trash? it does happen?

As for the article, which was mailed to YEA! fans and friends, and the slightly altered article, that ran on the website ... I really am not going to comment. The article ran, we received 50 interested responses and we hired someone today who will begin July 8th. Those within our community know what what was said is but 1/2 the truth. The article was honest, pointed and spoke as intended.

In the world we live today, it is, and perhaps should not be enough, to depart a public institution with no notice ... at all ... before a crucial season, and have the action met with " Mary Lou Departed the company today due to unspoken circumstances" Perhaps there should be a consequence for an action? If a school teacher quits and walks out of the classroom, or a corps director leaves today, or a politician suddenly resigns, there is a reaction ... no?

As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred.

We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take. That said ... we have made the change, we are up and running, and all involved will have a grand and happy life.

By the way Tristan, what value did u see in posting this? If the action was inappropriate, why would you wish to further shed attention to the past bookkeeper?

Would it not be best, a month after the fact, to allow the situation to stay inactive? Or ... would there be another reason I am unaware of?

I am a bit curious?

Have the best summer!!!!

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I thought the same thing when I looked at an old thread discussing an email Hopkins sent out advertising for a new accounting position and his displeasure that the 25 year old woman left without notice. It was mentioned in the thread that it was possibly due to a family emergency but now it’s hard not to wonder if it this could’ve played a part. (Pure conjecture, of course.) Hopkins replied to the thread, actually— reading it now is nausea inducing. (I’ll find it in a sec...)

The revolving door at YEA still going around and around. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

The revolving door at YEA still going around and around. 

This particular issue aside, It certainly is not an easy place to work. I was offered a job there 5 or 6 years ago and actually thought about it....until I came to my senses..lol

• Like 3