The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

The focus is on George Hopkins and the Cadets at the moment, but digging deeper, why wouldn't we also look at corps like Carolina Crown -their entire centerpiece was Roxanne, where they dressed the guard as prostitutes, even feigning a sex scene on the table as the stagecoach passed by just in time to leave a little bit to the imagination.  Is it possible that the show themes themselves are part of the issue.. promoting a culture where inappropriate behaviors are condoned by staff members?  Look at Crown's trumpet section from 2016, the Roxanne year... singing some pretty lewd lyrics in Military Park.  It seems well-rehearsed, meaning it was probably done many times over the season and deemed OK by staff members?  If we say, "Oh well, that's just how they get hyped up."  OK, so there is no other way to do this than by shouting out, "me so horny"?  George may be bearing the brunt of this at the moment, but it is going to be up to all of us to take a closer look at what type of image we want corps and DCI to carry forward.

Us? what corps as far back as I remember sang off-color songs...including the females..OMG. I'm not going to go there..shows can and should move forward....this is not the topic of this thread. I guess unless some want to go there

Edited by GUARDLING

3 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

The focus is on George Hopkins and the Cadets at the moment, but digging deeper, why wouldn't we also look at corps like Carolina Crown -their entire centerpiece was Roxanne, where they dressed the guard as prostitutes, even feigning a sex scene on the table as the stagecoach passed by just in time to leave a little bit to the imagination.  Is it possible that the show themes themselves are part of the issue.. promoting a culture where inappropriate behaviors are condoned by staff members?  Look at Crown's trumpet section from 2016, the Roxanne year... singing some pretty lewd lyrics in Military Park.  It seems well-rehearsed, meaning it was probably done many times over the season and deemed OK by staff members?  If we say, "Oh well, that's just how they get hyped up."  OK, so there is no other way to do this than by shouting out, "me so horny"?  George may be bearing the brunt of this at the moment, but it is going to be up to all of us to take a closer look at what type of image we want corps and DCI to carry forward.

Nope. No rationale for rape on the face of the planet, imo. You can look... 'won't find it anywhere, imo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

Now you're just taking it too far. If the guard had an issue with the uniforms I'm sure they would have said something. If the performers had a problem with the sexual innuendo on the field, I'm sure they would have said something. So what if that's the song they sing to get hyped? Hell, when I was in band in high school we would sing Baby Got Back to get hyped. Whoopee. Also, did you notice that there are females in that circle too? Singing along? Shew. Stop trying to point fingers where they shouldn't be. This is about staff members taking advantage of their members. I'm sure an investigation will be done into all corps, but stop trying to make something out of nothing. 

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

You don’t believe young males are victimized?  

Not by the way he takes about "boys in small shorts" on COTC.  Then again, maybe he didn't like seeing them because...no no, I joke I joke. 

2 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

I can’t disagree more. Saying that art with sexual content leads to sexual assault is misguided. Whether it’s The old Betty Boop cartoons in the 1930’s, Mae West’s racy talk, or even the lyrics and musical productions from something as tame as Grease, it’s quite a stretch to say that any of this creates an atmosphere for sexual (and power) misconduct of leadership and educational staff. That’s just too simple. Don’t blame the art for the failings of humans. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Couldn't imagine it. You talking about senior female instructor/managers pressing the young guys - or the other configuration? 

both although most perpetrators were probably male. Don't be obtuse

• Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Couldn't imagine it. You talking about senior female instructor/managers pressing the young guys - or the other configuration? 

Both. There are instances of Female teachers involved with male students. It happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

Be careful not to "slut shame". The issue is not expressions of sexuality but abuse of power.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6