The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

the newest statement from the YEA Board continues to make it sound like they aren't going anywhere.

They dug a whole too deep to get out of. They must go. They LET this happen for decades... an "oh, we're sorry" email way after the fact doesn't cut it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soccerguy315 said:

They dug a hole too deep to get out of....

I prefer to think of it as they’ve dug a mighty tall hole to climb. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Additional response from YEA:

https://yea.org/news/2005-healing-and-the-future

Good for them. Some better thinkers are gaining control, perhaps. I'd have mentioned something about cutting ties with GH, and there is still an edge of we-ness to it, when right now for me "we" is what looks like a pretty flawed board. But then, the larger group of Cadets, staff, parents and others is also a pretty good "we" to be thinking of. 

4 hours ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Does anyone really believe the members of the drum corps would in any way be worse off if DCI was disbanded?

Goodness gracious yes. You have no idea what services DCI provides to corps on a daily and nightly basis.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Good for them. Some better thinkers are gaining control, perhaps. I'd have mentioned something about cutting ties with GH, and there is still an edge of we-ness to it, when right now for me "we" is what looks like a pretty flawed board. But then, the larger group of Cadets, staff, parents and others is also a pretty good "we" to be thinking of. 

I think the response is well intentioned, but as I read it, I thought it was to early to say much of what the statement contained. For one thing, there is still a great deal we do not know, namely is this the iceberg or just the tip of the iceberg? They speak about the healing process beginning, they do not yet know the wound. I do hope they are correct that members have come together to joyfully play music and there has been generous financial support, but in traumatic situations sometimes it takes time for information to settle. I think YEA needs to wait till move in’s in May to know if there are any holes or if they have enough money to tour before it speaks about beautiful music.

Short term: an outside group independent of YEA needs to assist with helping those who have made accusations begin the healing process. Ideally, DCI should step in here. While I know it is not DCI’s job, it would show good will, that the activity cares, and DCI could probably find donors who would fund it.

48 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think the response is well intentioned, but as I read it, I thought it was to early to say much of what the statement contained. For one thing, there is still a great deal we do not know, namely is this the iceberg or just the tip of the iceberg? They speak about the healing process beginning, they do not yet know the wound. I do hope they are correct that members have come together to joyfully play music and there has been generous financial support, but in traumatic situations sometimes it takes time for information to settle. I think YEA needs to wait till move in’s in May to know if there are any holes or if they have enough money to tour before it speaks about beautiful music.

Short term: an outside group independent of YEA needs to assist with helping those who have made accusations begin the healing process. Ideally, DCI should step in here. While I know it is not DCI’s job, it would show good will, that the activity cares, and DCI could probably find donors who would fund it.

You bring up some excellent points, especially how early it is in the process of healing. I know nothing of what revelations come forward beginning today, but I am starting to think the group most negatively impacted is the organization labeled Youth Education in the Arts. Drum Corps International can endure this, I'm sure. I believe the division labeled Cadets will also be fine after removing most, if not all, of the managers. I am particularly concerned about the future of Cadets2. Surprising to many would be how young that ensemble really is.

I would like to see Youth Education in the Arts go away entirely. That brand has been severely damaged. Of course, YEA does many good works despite the past connection with the accused. Still, all of the non-Cadets functions can be parceled out and survive so far as we can tell now.

It's important for a highly visible change to take place. In my mind, that would be erasing the name Youth Education in the Arts and discovering new vehicles to assume its current offerings. All of the affiliated high school bands aren't going anywhere. The Cadets2 component is really not essential, and there are several Allentown Area groups in place to absorb the rest of what happens locally.

I just can't stop thinking about this situation but feel confident DCI, and even the Cadets, will be around for a very long time going forward. Different, perhaps.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Any one share information from the new article? Any new information etc? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2