The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 hours ago, MisterA said:

Jeff, you start by saying "here's the problems with your post" and then say that, several of us on here know some of them. So how is that a problem with my post? I do not personally know them, or their stories. I don't know you personally to know that you know them. I do take into consideration the people, including you, that have mentioned on this board, that some of these women mentioned these things to other people decades ago. I only know an article that I read that looks bad. Very bad. But there were parts of the article that didn't add up. Nothing against the alleged victims, just things that were written that seemed to have an agenda. Again most of the questions I have regard more of the way the article was written than what these women had to say. I agree it seems highly suspicious that 9 different women all had similar experiences. But if I were on a jury, and the evidence provided was just the Inquirer article, and then the weird YEA post stating their side of it, I couldn't say 100% without a doubt is George guilty of everything. Even though I strongly dislike him, disagree with SO many decisions he has made over the last 10-12 years, and personally think he is an egocentric  horses caboose.

On the other part, I don't disagree that George has pretty much made himself the face of YEA. He is a dictator, and wanted total control. I agree and get that. Same thing with Cadets, he was definitely the face of Cadets. And I completely agree if something went wrong, he blamed others, and took credit for every success Cadets had. That being said, I do not agree that he WAS the Cadets, or WAS  YEA. To state that would completely discredit the thousands of young men and women that performed their butts off every year in all the organizations under that umbrella. George didn't win 10 championships, the kids on the field did. He may have tried to take the credit, and some of it he deserves for leading them, but like any good leader(which he clearly was not), he wanted the fame and glory for himself, instead of raving about the thousands of AMAZINGLY talented performers(and staff) he worked with over the years.

It’s a problem because the post I quoted comes off as Fox News scoffing at the victims as if they conspired together to put the screws to him.

anf you can claim what you want about the organization but he set it up so over time he had absolute control. Even the board had no say. Don’t like his budget and disagree? Gone. Think working 70 hours a week for 30 grand and never getting promised OT is miserable? See ya. Don’t like that his show design became preach snf out dated? Bye. It was his way or no way on all matters. No one could ever have control but him

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s a problem because the post I quoted comes off as Fox News scoffing at the victims as if they conspired together to put the screws to him.

anf you can claim what you want about the organization but he set it up so over time he had absolute control. Even the board had no say. Don’t like his budget and disagree? Gone. Think working 70 hours a week for 30 grand and never getting promised OT is miserable? See ya. Don’t like that his show design became preach snf out dated? Bye. It was his way or no way on all matters. No one could ever have control but him

And he famously said "I would never be part of a governing org that I didn't control."

To me.  Sorry, rephrase for accuracy.  Was told to me by the person it was told to.  Geesh.  Typing that felt like marching 7/8.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

And he famously said "I would never be part of a governing org that I didn't control."

To me.

Well, in the end he got his wish.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

However one wants to look at it, the court of public opinion can litigate, defend, convict, commence with a trial, always be on the side of right. It can and has been more damning than actual law sometimes

Ask Weinstein and Spacey. Cosby. And others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What does that even mean?

He/she hates dci for every possible reason imaginable 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Online Petition Calls For YEA Board To Resign Amid Allegations

Group tops 2,500 signatures

http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-valley/online-petition-calls-for-yea-board-to-resign-amid-allegations/726504071

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Fallout continues from the scandal rocking Allentown's famed Cadets drum and bugle corps.

An online petition is circling calling for the Board of Directors of Youth Education in the Arts to resign following the group's longtime director's resignation amid sexual misconduct allegations.

A group called 'The Cadets and Friends' started the petition on change.org Friday night.

The group originally asked for 2,500 signatures, which they achieved and are now looking for 5,000.

Following a Philadelphia Inquirer story earlier this week which published nine allegations of sexual misconduct against former Allentown Cadets Director, George Hopkins. Hopkins resigned despite denying the accusations. 

The Board of Directors of Youth Education in the Arts also put out a statement calling this a "painful moment." 

The board also said it conducted an investigation into the matter and claimed "there was no cooperation at all from anyone making those accusations." 

They went on to say "no responsible board of directors can take action based solely on anonymous allegations." 

Upset about the response, the group 'The Cadets and Friends' started the a change.org petition asking for the resignation of the Board of Directors for YEA!.

'The Cadets and Friends' said in its petition, "it has become clear that this Board is incapable or unwilling to address the actual problem."

The group goes on to call the YEA! statement "the worst kind of victim blaming."

Some who signed the petition explained why they did.

Chris Perdikos commented "Drum corps members, staff and volunteers need to feel safe at all times !!"

Lenette Haliburton said "I'm still honestly shocked that an organization would keep something like this under the radar for so long."

Yet, we've learned this is not the first time the Allentown Cadets have dealt with scandal this year.

In January, the organization dismissed its Brass Caption Head and contract worker, Scott Atchison after working for the Cadets for just a few months.

According to media reports from 2003, Atchison was arrested in California on an allegation of videotaping a 17-year-old female student changing in a private room while serving as a high school band director.

Atchison resigned after his arrest.

On the site Drum Corps Planet... one person who identifies himself as SLA writes "it's time to set the record straight."

"2003 I was falsely accused of wrong doing during my tenure as a teacher in California."

I have consistently said nothing wrong took place."

Though the court records show Atchison was found guilty, the poster SLA says, 

"...that charge was later dismissed."  

And court records back that up.

The YEA board released a statement to 69 News in reference to Atchison saying quote:

"YEA! only employs people who pass the required background check."

Drum Corps International ... the body that sanctions the Cadets said it is conducting its own investigation.

It is unclear what 'The Cadets and Friends' next step will be should it get the 2500 signatures it's seeking.

Legally the charges were removed from the record as part of the sentence which had been posted here, so yes he passed the check.

but it was known. Reputational risk is huge. 

• Thanks 1

Funny thing: 7 years ago someone knee  deep in this adamantly told a student not to go there.

then taught there themselves 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Sad 1

Maybe it's me, but I don't see anything new in the article.