The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

To the women who have so bravely come forward, as I read your stories you were saying my own words.  Not in drum corps and not at the Cadets, but my words at 18yrs old in a similar situation.  Thank you for your bravery.  Because you have come forward some young girl may not have to experience the initial blaming of herself, or the years of self shame after.  She will know when to call it what it is quickly and loudly and eventually abusive behavior will not be allowed to continue for decades as has happened.  You are my heros.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My only contention is corrective action needs to be swift, meaningful, and noticeable. One person resigning is not sufficient. That much was already expected by all observers.

Again, I'm confident the Cadets will be fine after a good house-cleaning. I plan to, at least, cheer the members through this mess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I don’t believe DCI can’t levy a fine for this sort of thing. 

We just need to look to 2010 to get an idea of what the member corps and their director reps will can command DCI to do.

Edited by garfield

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

We just need to look to 2010 to see what the member corps and their director reps will command DCI to do.

Remind me?

21 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

. One other thing - DCI will levy a fine against the Cadets too. I doubt it will be small.

Is this just your speculation ? If so why state it with such certitude in your tone ? DCI is still in the information gathering stage at the moment. Its hard to believe that they have already come together on a decision on any sort of " fine " on the Cadets, let alone on its size.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

My only contention is corrective action needs to be swift, meaningful, and noticeable. One person resigning is not sufficient. That much was already expected by all observers.

Again, I'm confident the Cadets will be fine after a good house-cleaning. I plan to, at least, cheer the members through this mess.

Yes... swift action.  Apparently the Cadets or Yea! have already removed the traces of GH on their website

https://yea.org/bio-pop/21-static/yea/24-george-hopkins-bio

This used to link to his bio... not any more!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

The impression I am getting is quite the opposite of what is being predicted by some on here, the attitude of a lot of the members I have seen on various places as well as alumni I know is, after getting Hopkins out, to pull together and push to not let this tear their corps apart.

The members don’t deserve for this to destroy their summer and corps.  Appropriate actions need to be taken and people who committed those atrocities need to be removed and punished......but I don’t think that means not fielding this summer.  It’s gonna be so hard in some regards but I don’t think anyone who sees them perform this summer, me included, is gonna scoff at the site of the Cadets because of a stigma.  We all know who was responsible and I am sure giving those members my full support.  

To me what has happened prior to this is what would push people away and not want to be a part of that organization.  Now that change is happening and the times are tough it seems the opposite is happening.

Of course all from someone outside looking in with a mere few connections.  

Yes I would hope this is the outcome. In fact, the entire activity will need to pull together and DCI will need to stand up too as one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

You are correct. I don't have a crystal ball. But we have all seen the outcomes of these exact situations in recent times. We aren't special as an activity, and are far less powerful. I am highly concerned.

OK!  I think all of us here are concerned to varying degrees and I appreciate yours.

This thread has remained amazingly sanquin during this event because of the particular nature of the subject.  That sensitivity has allowed us to discuss without creating hypotheticals that stir passions and tend to derail threads and get people booted.

There are lots of scenarios that could play out here, included the Cadets having a marvelous season that brings down the stands in August.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Is this just your speculation ? If so why state it with such certitude in your tone ? DCI is still in the information gathering stage at the moment. Its hard to believe that they have already come together on a decision on any sort of " fine " on the Cadets, let alone on its size.

What's this?  Agreeing with me again?

Get the camera - dogs are sleeping with cats somewhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1