The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

At the risk of being redundant, I guess the thing that is sticking in my craw the most right now, is why is the Board of Directors still in place?  I’m sure there are outstanding alumni and other leaders in our little world who would step forward.  Especially now.  It seems to me this is not a good step toward the healing process.  

In my experience with several non-profit corporation boards, the corporation is chartered as a "non-member corporation", meaning the voting 'members' (shareholders) are the Board of Directors itself.  Unlike a business or public corporation, there are no "shareholders" that have the authority to replace Board members.  Non-profits are often setup this way - mainly to ensure the corporation is able to conduct business without having to assemble a quorum of some set of "members".  The Board is expected to protect the public trust their charter should require to maintain the corporation's tax exempt status.

If the YEA corporation is in-fact chartered as a "non-member corporation", the reason the Board of Directors are still in place is because they have not voted to replace themselves.  The alumni, fans, member families, and DCI have no legal authority to affect a change in the Board of Directors.

My $0.02

-john

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Hopkins - the man who took down DCI?  This is bad. Real bad. For the entire activity. As in, defining moment big. Teetering on the brink big. Wow. 

Yes.  

This the Sept 11 event for DCI.

Nothing will be the same as before.

And depending on how far knowledge of this criminal behavior went, and for how long it was known, it could be the end of the activity as we know it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRacer said:

DCI assessing a fine would be a tough call but I could see alumni coming together to address that ob$tacle.

I see more “sting” in the form of He Who Shall Not Be Named’s HOF induction being revoked. Championships being vacated would be another blow with no “new winner” declared in solo years (e.g., ‘87, ‘90, ‘93, etc.) and instead being noted with the dreaded asterisk while the “tie year” (‘00) would revert to the co-champion. Before I get flamed please note that while drastic this idea is not without precedent in college athletics, and since DCI bills itself as “Marching Music’s Major Leagues” internationally then drastic may be in order. 

I agree with the HOF idea completely, but revoking championships is the most ludicrous idea I've heard so far. Those wins belong to the kids that worked all summer to be the best they could be.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

In my experience with several non-profit corporation boards, the corporation is chartered as a "non-member corporation", meaning the voting 'members' (shareholders) are the Board of Directors itself.  Unlike a business or public corporation, there are no "shareholders" that have the authority to replace Board members.  Non-profits are often setup this way - mainly to ensure the corporation is able to conduct business without having to assemble a quorum of some set of "members".  The Board is expected to protect the public trust their charter should require to maintain the corporation's tax exempt status.

If the YEA corporation is in-fact chartered as a "non-member corporation", the reason the Board of Directors are still in place is because they have not voted to replace themselves.  The alumni, fans, member families, and DCI have no legal authority to affect a change in the Board of Directors.

My $0.02

-john

That explains a lot.  Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

Possibly a fine.  I'm still trying to figure out what DCI's Code of Conduct is (it is alluded to on their website, but with no link to it) to really lay that against what GH has done... within that Code of Conduct, I would assume it would spell out the penalties that could be levied should someone break it.

This is all I could find...

https://www.dci.org/news/ensuring-a-safe-and-educationally-appropriate-drum-corps-experience

The past is the past in regards to on-the-field related things and I do not see how revisionist history serves the healing process or the future of DCI.  If DCI wants to make an example out of Cadets reduce their performance fees by 50% this season and do not allow them to perform at Indy.  This would again be punishing the kids albeit still letting them tour and compete but also send a loud a clear message to all organizations to clean their own houses.

Edited by Sideways

26 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Championships being vacated would be another blow with no “new winner” declared in solo years (e.g., ‘87, ‘90, ‘93, etc.) and instead being noted with the dreaded asterisk while the “tie year” (‘00) would revert to the co-champion. Before I get flamed please note that while drastic this idea is not without precedent in college athletics, and since DCI bills itself as “Marching Music’s Major Leagues” internationally then drastic may be in order. 

Never gonna happen, nor should it.

• Like 2

On a side note I feel they can keep the same rep but a different title is needed.  As is it will carry too many negative connotations into the summer for the members.