The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Legally the charges were removed from the record as part of the sentence which had been posted here, so yes he passed the check.

but it was known. Reputational risk is huge. 

Yeah, Big time. Another experience I had several years ago: Guy after a show with the staff looked familiar. I couldn't place him. I just knew I knew him, been a long time. Chief Judge comes to me.

"You know who that is?"

"I should but can't place him."

"He's Mister X, the guy at Y who got canned because of relationships he had with 5 girls. They cut a deal to drop charges if he surrendered his Teaching License and paid for the counseling of his 5 victims!"

THEN I remembered- it'd been over 10 years or so. He'd crossed the state border to a nearby competitor and was there on staff.

My voice goes up three octaves, Dunno if Jeff has head that when I panic. I pray he hasn't. :satisfied:

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?"

"Talk to the director. Now."

The Chief Judge told the director what we both knew, my head moving like a bobblehead.  The director told us,

"It's okay, I know, I keep an eye on him." I blurted out about four octaves higher now

"YOU CAN"T KEEP AN EYE ON A GUY LIKE THAT! EVER!"

The chief judge says...

"He's right. You can't. Either you fire him now, or we both go to your band parents and tell them everything."

My head is still bobbleheading and I squeak out,

"YEAH!"

The guy was fired pronto, then and there. I hope and pray he never got a crack at any students. I hope my friend and I caught him in time. Man, I still panic thinking about the whole thing. I do feel good that we hopefully prevented a disaster for some young women. It does leave me wondering whether the guy is staffing programs under the radar and his name isn't announced , nor does he show up at contests for fear of being recognized. I don't know, it's chilling. One of those times I sit back and know for once... I helped do something good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MisterA said:

"I know what I think I would have done had I been in any of those situations mentioned in the article."

I assume by your screen name that you are a man. To say you know what  you would have done is completely irrelevant. You CANNOT know how these women felt in these situations.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sideways said:

The past is the past in regards to on-the-field related things and I do not see how revisionist history serves the healing process or the future of DCI.  If DCI wants to make an example out of Cadets reduce their performance fees by 50% this season and do not allow them to perform at Indy.  This would again be punishing the kids albeit still letting them tour and compete but also send a loud a clear message to all organizations to clean their own houses.

ans who would want to do this ( member)  NO!

47 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Penalties for failure to do these things are unfortunately not provided here.

We can assume that DCI  does not have the legal authority to specifically demand and enforce the replacement of any Corps Board of Directors.  However, it seems to me that DCI has the legal authority to protect both the brand and reputation of its DCI afiliations if it is determined that any of its member Corps has violated policies and procedures regarding its membership in DCI. if true, DCI is not simply a bystander in all this, imo.  They have oversight authority and a fiduciary DUTY it would seem to me to impose some sort of sanctions of some kind should ( for just one example ) the current YEA Board refuse to resign, step down.

DCI has unilaterally exercised its oversight authority in the past to revoke a Corps from further participation in DCI Competition until that Corps got its internal infrastructure up to acceptable standards as determined by DCI itself. The Troopers in 2006 were informed by DCI that they were suspended from further participation in DCI World Class Competition until such time as a mandatory change in their infrastructure  of their organization took place. They also needed to clear debt. Presumably, the Troopers made personnel changes inside their organization that allowed them to become in compliance with DCI's demand. The Troopers made the neccessary organizational changes, then reapplied for full evaluation of their internals. DCI went and look at their internal organization changes, and a year later, the Troopers saw the return to their full membership status for World Class Division. This was primarily of a financial nature this suspension too. Its hard to imagine that DCI would not have similar oversight authority to impose sanctions on a Corps on a much more serious set as circumstances that effect all of DCI from what was just revealed in the national media.

Perhaps DCI can be sparred from having to make some rather difficult decisions here re. The Cadets, if the YEA Board there simply does what is called for here, imo. They should now follow the lead of the person that put them in that position of trust and oversight responsibility for YEA in the first place and resign. One would think they would do so if they really had the best interests of YEA at heart now anyway. As said by many others, its seems unlikely that the healing process, and the rebuilding process with the Cadets, USBAA, Schools, Housing sites, etc can proceed with a current YEA  Board that seems so dysfunctional in too many ways to list.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yeah, Big time. Another experience I had several years ago: Guy after a show with the staff looked familiar. I couldn't place him. I just knew I knew him, been a long time. Chief Judge comes to me.

"You know who that is?"

"I should but can't place him."

"He's Mister X, the guy at Y who got canned because of relationships he had with 5 girls. They cut a deal to drop charges if he surrendered his Teaching License and paid for the counseling of his 5 victims!"

THEN I remembered- it'd been over 10 years or so. He'd crossed the state border to a nearby competitor and was there on staff.

My voice goes up three octaves, Dunno if Jeff has head that when I panic. I pray he hasn't. :satisfied:

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?"

"Talk to the director. Now."

The Chief Judge told the director what we both knew, my head moving like a bobblehead.  The director told us,

"It's okay, I know, I keep an eye on him." I blurted out about four octaves higher now

"YOU CAN"T KEEP AN EYE ON A GUY LIKE THAT! EVER!"

The chief judge says...

"He's right. You can't. Either you fire him now, or we both go to your band parents and tell them everything."

My head is still bobbleheading and I squeak out,

"YEAH!"

The guy was fired pronto, then and there. I hope and pray he never got a crack at any students. I hope my friend and I caught him in time. Man, I still panic thinking about the whole thing. I do feel good that we hopefully prevented a disaster for some young women. It does leave me wondering whether the guy is staffing programs under the radar and his name isn't announced , nor does he show up at contests for fear of being recognized. I don't know, it's chilling. One of those times I sit back and know for once... I helped do something good.

You did!  Thank you!  

4 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

What would you suggest Catherine - going back to the VFW American Legion days with Tony Schlecta and the gang in their  #### cutter hats? 

At least someone else besides Tom P. and I call them P-cutters.:cool:

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.  

This the Sept 11 event for DCI.

Nothing will be the same as before.

And depending on how far knowledge of this criminal behavior went, and for how long it was known, it could be the end of the activity as we know it. 

People's passion for hyperbole is on full display in this thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

If the YEA corporation is in-fact chartered as a "non-member corporation", the reason the Board of Directors are still in place is because they have not voted to replace themselves.  The alumni, fans, member families, and DCI have no legal authority to affect a change in the Board of Directors.

My $0.02

-john

"Independent counsel Carlo Gambino today announced that the entire YEA board was persuaded to resign after he held a closed-door meeting with the board members. 'It took about five minutes,' Gambino said. 'Once I laid out their options, which included the possibility of spending the rest of their time on this planet either above or below the surface level of the Schuykill River, the board members decided to step aside.'"   :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3