The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

(Almost) everything else you say here is based on one, simple premise, and I agree with it all: DCI can require certain thresholds be met in order to participate in the tour.

But, If GH took the Cadets to Broadway, continued running the rest of their programs, and flipped his middle finger at DCI, then DCI would have no more power to force him to change anything in his organization.

Yes, DCI has teeth when it comes to the tour.  And the members can ask the DCI to take any action they, and their counsel, decide.

Wanna bet DCI just writes a very heartfelt response and encourages all Drum Corps to set policies of education, self-awareness, consequential actions, sensitivity, protocol, etc etc. I even see DCI ( for a cost of course ) holding seminars on this issue to help corps understand. and that's where this goes with them.

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

WOW is a good response. 

Yes, for me, too. Then, when I thought I had gone far enough, my wife said, "Did you really need that?" and it was "WOW!" again. This will not be easy. It must be done. For all the #metoo in our families (yes, every single one in mine, wife and 3 daughters) and in our activity.

Edited by footform

34 minutes ago, garfield said:

The power that DCI has and chooses to use, if any, will be known by all soon enough.

Agreed. My guess, the LAST thing DCI wants to do is to get dragged into making any sort of unusual decisions regarding this mess there. DCI  probably would  prefer to have YEA/ Cadets try and fix whats broken there.  Thats my sense anyway. But we're in unchartered waters now, so who really knows.  So we'll just have to see what happens.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Wanna bet DCI just writes a very heartfelt response and encourages all Drum Corps to set policies of education, self-awareness, consequential actions, sensitivity, protocol, etc etc. I even see DCI ( for a cost of course ) holding seminars on this issue to help corps understand. and that's where this goes with them.

Whatever the Member corps want him to be, Dan Acheson is going to be.

The corps' Boards of Directors sharing their best-practices and making each corps better is a much more organic solution than is top-down administration, IMO.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Whatever the Member corps want him to be, Dan Acheson is going to be.

The corps' Boards of Directors sharing their best-practices and making each corps better is a much more organic solution than is top-down administration.

Yes,

My point also was they will skirt around a correct response and have a less direct answer. Like most politicians

But you are right

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

oh lord no

things are getting a little bit over the top in this thread! (IMO)

Emotions are running HIGH. I've given a pass to a few posts that I felt were over the top.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup. With the camp this weekend as well - I'm sure there are many "to-do" the next few days. Hopefully a meeting with the BOD advising/suggesting/recommending they resign is among the "to-do" he has in mind. Launching other internal reviews, lining up an external/independent audit/review and a check in with each staff member is key as well. An "inventory of sorts" is key

Before making any BOD changes review the bylaws. Would love to review a copy to learn how the president and other members are appointed.  Would think that the organization will require a complete internal financial audit now too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

In my experience with several non-profit corporation boards, the corporation is chartered as a "non-member corporation", meaning the voting 'members' (shareholders) are the Board of Directors itself.  Unlike a business or public corporation, there are no "shareholders" that have the authority to replace Board members.  Non-profits are often setup this way - mainly to ensure the corporation is able to conduct business without having to assemble a quorum of some set of "members".  The Board is expected to protect the public trust their charter should require to maintain the corporation's tax exempt status.

If the YEA corporation is in-fact chartered as a "non-member corporation", the reason the Board of Directors are still in place is because they have not voted to replace themselves.  The alumni, fans, member families, and DCI have no legal authority to affect a change in the Board of Directors.

My $0.02

-john

That's actually about $20.00 worth. Most non-profit boards of the 501c3 variety are exactly like that.

For YEA!, board member removal would more likely result from the kind of external pressure that makes continuing untenable. Or, even better, members reconnecting with something called integrity.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

That's actually about $20.00 worth. Most non-profit boards of the 501c3 variety are exactly like that.

For YEA!, board member removal would more likely result from the kind of external pressure that makes continuing untenable. Or, even better, members reconnecting with something called integrity.

Yep, or as I wrote back on p. 63 of this thread:

That entire board has to go.  Immediately.  Alumni are all well and good, but who has the power to oust the board?  Honestly asking.

Donors, sponsors, members, and alumni, in effect, by telling the board that unless they all resign, all income stops.

If that's what the donors, sponsors, members, and alumni want, they have the power to make it happen.

• Like 2