The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 minutes ago, VoC said:

Anyone else notice that GH is still in charge of the YEA Facebook page?  He is the only “team member” currently listed.  

They had camp this week. They’ve been in full crisis mode since Thursday. It’ll get changed 

20 minutes ago, jazzman334 said:

My long-departed grandfather once told me, "there's book-smart, and there's walkin'-around smart. Don't ever think that one makes you the other."

Here, those who keep insisting that DCI doesn't have the legal authority to do A, B or C - don't assume for a minute that at the end of the day, they can't somehow make YEA! agree to just about any darned thing they want to - IF they want it done badly enough. Just because they don't have the "right" to do it doesn't mean they can't get it done.

WTH?  What country do you think we live in?

We have laws.

We have rights.

DCI has exactly the authority vested in it by its board members, nothing more.

Just now, garfield said:

WTH?  What country do you think we live in?

We have laws.

We have rights.

DCI has exactly the authority vested in it by its board members, nothing more.

Yes, but that doesn't mean DCI can't do pretty much anything about Cadets it deems necessary to protect DCI.

DCA, by a vote of its board members, banned Renegades from the 2014 championships after Renegades trashed their hotel rooms in 2013. DCI's board members, or perhaps the full membership of DCI overriding the board (as happened during the attempted G7 putsch) likewise could make demands on Cadets: "Take steps X, Y, and Z or we will not allow you to perform in the 2018 championships, or in any DCI-sanctioned event, or some other similar punishment".

I'm not saying DCI should do so, but they absolutely could. Might a lawsuit from YEA follow? Sure. Obviously DCI would want to consider all ramifications of any drastic steps.

Drum corps has become so tainted I have to use antibacterial gel after I read this forum.

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Nah.

One bad seed doesn't taint the whole barrel.

You’re right, but we both know Hopkins wasn’t the only bad seed. He was the only one EXPOSED.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean DCI can't do pretty much anything about Cadets it deems necessary to protect DCI.

DCA, by a vote of its board members, banned Renegades from the 2014 championships after Renegades trashed their hotel rooms in 2013. DCI's board members, or perhaps the full membership of DCI overriding the board (as happened during the attempted G7 putsch) likewise could make demands on Cadets: "Take steps X, Y, and Z or we will not allow you to perform in the 2018 championships, or in any DCI-sanctioned event, or some other similar punishment".

I'm not saying DCI should do so, but they absolutely could. Might a lawsuit from YEA follow? Sure. Obviously DCI would want to consider all ramifications of any drastic steps.

Dci May very well be waiting to see what else is out there. My hunch is YEAs problems are just starting 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

I’m confused by the call to sanction the current MM. George is gone and not lettting the Cadets compete does not hurt the BoD - it hurts the kids.  My son is a current member - when he read the article his reaction was “I will only march if Hop resigns.”  I am pretty confident that the brave women who came forward would be horrified with all this speculation about whether the kids could/should compete this summer. 

Some kids wanted more than him out

• Like 1