The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

DCI may not have a legal responsibility with cases involving those over 18, whether it involves Cadets or other corps, but if a case involves minors and the abuse is illegal in that state, my thought would be that they would have a legal responsibility to report the situation, even if it is just a rumor. Law enforcement would much rather conduct an investigation than have someone decide credibility when it comes to minors. The fact they are an umbrella organization that only has the authority given it by corps directors may possibly shield them from reporting allegations involving 18+ marching members, but it would not shield them when it comes to minors.

what I would hope to see happen is for DCI to have an emergency directors meeting, set up a committee involving educators, law enforcement, and other professionals, and come up with a policy that applies to all corps. The committee should be as independent as possible. It should then be approved quickly. I do understand how DCI works, and it may involve changing bylaws, but something has to happen fast, and where colleges and most youth organizations already have such policies, DCI would not be reinventing the wheel. It would not inhibit a corps’ independence either. It is plain common sense.

You and I see this the same, Tim.  There's something wrong, IMO, when edicts passed down by DCI are continually ignored until becoming irrelevant. 

The power to inflict punishment from the halls of DCI would go a long way, IMO.  Meeting minimum standards should be the minimum, and codifying those standards at the activity level is only worthwhile if there is a backbone and teeth granted DCI to enforce them.

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, part of the robust changes most corps are making.

So, I ask again: Is it a good use of funds allocated to DCI from the corps?

Unsure.. as I don't know what the financials nor the organizational structures/ shared responsibilities agreed upon really are. But in general terms, any monies spent on safety issues at both the DCI HQ level and at the individual Corps level seems money well spent to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

When I was with the Westshoremen Alumni corps, I didn't sing the corps song until the corps' final day, at the York, PA, indoor show in 2016. For much the same reasons you stated. 

I was very happy and proud to be a member of the alumni corps, and was warmly welcomed as part of the 'Shore family... but I had never marched in the competition corps, so it just didn't feel right to me to sing along. Until that final day, and a very emotional corps gathering after the last performance.

Plus those from 82 would have shot you lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its a little bit more than asking in a broad sense for " tips " covering a wide range of subjects though.

What are the chances a Philly Inquirer Sportswriter would write in their column... " anybody out there that has some dirt on the Philadelphia Eagles players, Mgt, Organization, please feel free to email me, or call me. I'll make sure your correspondence is kept confidential with me if you'd like ". ?   My guess, no chance. Plus, you've got to admit its a bit lazy for journalists to conduct their jobs in this fashion. The fact that we witness journalism conducted in this fashion does not mean this is how it should be practiced, imo.

If they have a losing season it does happen lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if she could stop using photos of The Cadets in these articles?  Use the accused’s photo.  

Email her

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Unsure.. as I don't know what the financials nor the organizational structures/ shared responsibilities agreed upon really are. But in general terms, any monies spent on safety issues at both the DCI HQ level and at the individual Corps level seems money well spent to me.

I think dci needs more than letting the inmates police themselves however that ends up showing up.

be side history shows the inmates will #### up

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, part of the robust changes most corps are making.

So, I ask again: Is it a good use of funds allocated to DCI from the corps?

What changes are being made now? Read a few of the corps statements and most are reviewing their policies which is a good thing. What is being changed that I missed and is it something that should have been done in the first place. Like I said earlier informing members how and who they can contact in case of questions or problems is lacking from what I have read. 

To go with Jeff’s post DCI should have a contact in case a member or family member does not feel comfortable/safe contacting the corps they are in.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

If they have a losing season it does happen lol

Reminds me of a baseball manager of a last place club, after another losing effort, in ther post game interview, was asked by a reporter... "  So Coach, what would say about your players execution today ? "... the exasperated manager, thought a bit, then dryly repled... " Not such a bad idea.  "

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You mean, the style that hundreds of college marching bands use today?  With the same age young adults, in numbers vastly larger than drum corps?  Performed each year in front of millions?  That style?  You look down your nose at it?  Yes, the spandex emo brigades are so much more popular. Especially with the thunderous goo mixed in, and the body movement for the sake of body movement, usually with no context other than getting that "simultaneous demand" box checked. And on and on. Hey, if it's time for extreme makeover - drum corps edition - I say let's rethink it all. 

Performed each year in front of millions who couldn't care less and just want halftime to be over. 

• Like 2

The Inquirer reporter's open call for other victims to reveal their own related experiences in drum corps absolutely expands the story well beyond discovery of a YEA situation. ALL drum corps are subject to be called upon to comment about a claim of misbehavior within their own organization. That will be challenging for any administrator receiving a call. Every corps better be considering how to respond.

We can only hope the reporter will be careful to properly screen the responses. No doubt the objective here is to finish the Inquirer Special Report with a summary, some conclusions, and  recommendations for the future.

We all know this important matter deserves everyone's attention. We also know, problems of this nature are not unique to drum corps.

• Like 2