The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So the Indy report says DCI has reporting procedures and will make sure corps will have them too. Good as that piece has not been discussed in the statements some corps have made. Can’t fight this if people don’t know how to report it. Especially if they don’t trust who they would report it to

Bingo

• Thanks 1

I've been lurking here and just want to share how much I appreciate the professionalism and overall tone in this thread.  It has been informative and encouraging.  We love this activity and have seen it change lives.  I was not blessed to march but have been close to some who have or are currently marching. 

Thank you for the information and your thoughts but more so for your apparent love for the activity and for the MM.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Today I learned that in certain special legal circumstances, there's actually something called a "taint team", and I so want that to become relevant to this story.

Can you please clarify why you WANT that to become relevant to this case?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the rumor was there. the question is if they knew specifics. In fact the rumor started spreading from the meetings IN indy

Well, the Indy star did a good job for us here today so that we learn some new things, and clarified some other things :

1 ) Despite , according to the Philly Inquirer, YEA being informed of these 9 incidents of sexual abuse ( including rape) by GH,  in early January, Dean A. at DCI HQ states here ( Indy Star ) that he was not aware of this until the story broke a few days ago. If true, the YEA Board failed to notify DCI HQ.

2) DCI has in place policies that requires all Corps to notify him at DCI HQ when serious matters such as this are brought to their attention by outside authorities, in this case, Victim's Attorney.

3) Corps not in compliance with such reporting requirements to DCI HQ are subject to ( Dean's words to the reporter ) potential " dismissal of the Corps from DCI  membership. "

So as some of us said from the beginning, any  belief  that DCI HQ has little to no authority here over Corps is inaccurate.

Edited by BRASSO

32 minutes ago, garfield said:

Bingo

BIG part of my annual DoD training. 

And can’t resist on taint team.... is that taint as in tainted or (turn on Larry the cable guy voice) “taint supposed to do that”

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, the Indy star did a good job for us here today so that we learn some new things, and clarified some other things :

1 ) Despite , according to the Philly Inquirer, YEA being informed of these 9 incidents of sexual abuse ( including rape) by GH,  in early January, Dean A. at DCI HQ states here ( Indy Star ) that he was not aware of this until the story broke a few days ago. If true, the YEA Board failed to notify DCI HQ.

2) DCI has in place policies that requires all Corps to notify him at DCI HQ when serious matters such as this are brought to their attention by outside authorities, in this case, Victim's Attorney.

3) Corps not in compliance with such reporting requirements to DCI are subject to ( Dean's words to the reporter ) potential " dismissal of the Corps from DCI  membership. "

So as some of us said from the beginning, any  belief  that DCI HQ has little to no authority here over Corps is inaccurate.

Is this the paragraph you reference in your 2) above?

"The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors."

It's the only paragraph that discusses policies and it DOESN'T APPLY TO DRUM CORPS, it applies to DCI employees.

In fact, the paragraph says that Dan's office is NOW reviewing how to create a similar process for those...involved with drum corps groups.

If this is the paragraph you reference, it's another example of you making stuff up to bolster a flawed position.  "...that requires all Corps <sic> to notify him..."  <--- where did you get that from the reporter's comments from Dan (quoted above)?

EDIT:  Or is this the paragraph?:

"Participating groups that fail to meet Drum Corps International's policies can lead to that group's dismissal."

Dismissal from what, Brasso?  Participation in DCI events?  I agreed with that long ago.

Edited by garfield

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

3) Corps not in compliance with such reporting requirements to DCI are subject to ( Dean's words to the reporter ) potential " dismissal of the Corps from DCI  membership. "

I'm no fan of YEA to the extent they have culpability in this matter, but if DCI's notification requirement is truly based on serious matters being brought to the attention of the corps (or DCI, or both, not sure which it means) by "outside authorities", I think they would have a strong argument that a victim's attorney is not an authority.  When an attorney represents someone, he or she is, by definition, an advocate, has no obligation to be objective (beyond truthfulness) and, in fact, has an ethical obligation to zealously represent one side only.  I would think outside authorities would be something like law enforcement, a governmental agency, the judiciary, or the like.  If they did use those words, they probably did so to ensure credible objectivity, lest they open the floodgates to everyone who would claim they have a serious grievance based on their own personal opinion.

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is this the paragraph you reference in your 2) above?

"The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors."

It's the only paragraph that discusses policies and it DOESN'T APPLY TO DRUM CORPS, it applies to DCI employees.

In fact, the paragraph says that Dan's office is NOW reviewing how to create a similar process for those...involved with drum corps groups.

Now, read more comprehensively and stop making your it your priority to simply prove how right you are.  I bailed on this once before so the thread wouldn't be derailed...

Just stop. I know how to read.  This thread is not about YOU either. People can read what authority Dean is saying DCI HQ has over Corps in non compliance with reporting requirements to him of serious matters that involved potential illegalities  . Dean is not using the phrase " dismissal from DCI Membership " as a potential penalty they could impose , and that he is referring to " DCI HQ employees "  with that comment. If you are unsure, instead of criticizing me about my reading comprehension skills, I could suggest you reread who he is referring to with that.   It seems rather clear to me he is referring to YEA/ Cadets in what actions DCI HQ COULD take upon them, as the investigation of this reporting requirement DCI commences both internally at DCI HQ , and from YEA/ Cadets to Dean A.               

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe DCI should have a "Compliance Director" on each of the Corps' BOD. Similar to what many NCAA member institutions have. One that is beyond reproach and reports any violations, no matter how small to DCI.