The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Yes, any beef DCI/Acheson had with the Cadets was all about GH.  Now that the dictatorship is over, the rubber stamps will flee.  It would be a huge surprise if HQ takes any action that would negatively impact the remaining innocents.  

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

Regardless of the strained relationship, there is only so much they're empowered to do. And now that the source of the strained relationship has been excised We'll have to see of there's any vindictiveness. My guess is they'll take the high road.

From everyone I've talked too over the years, Dan Acheson is a decent, honorable, fair minded individual. He really does put the kids first, and the safety of them is imperative and all encompassing .He has a fiduciary responsibility too of protecting the brand and reputation of DCI itself, when any of its members so egregiously mishandle their duties. And he can be decisive when its called for. I have no idea what DCI HQ will do here, as we really are in unchartered waters. I would imagine Dan Acheson will need the proper time to ascertain the damage done here to DCI and will do what he sees fit. But he has a reputation for being fair and not a vindictive personality by nature. So we'll see how this plays out.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Yes, a compliance director or an ombudsman should be put in place immediately --touring hasn't started but camps/rehearsals have.  The ombudsman [or woman] would not be affiliated with or directly paid by any corps -this is essential so that anyone reporting knows their reports are not simply being tossed around within the corps itself, where the problem is occurring.  The funding for this position(s) would be paid by each corps to DCI as a condition of participation.  The fact that this position is not in place already (as of many years ago, pick an arbitrary starting date) --that it will be put into place reactively instead of proactively-- has helped fuel the crisis we now are living through.  Think of the countless hundreds-of-thousands of dollars spent over the last x-number of years on equipment, staff, etc. to create state-of-the-art shows; if only a fraction of that had been spent in the way described above, we would possibly have averted this and saved some people from some scarring experiences.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BigW said:

Regardless of the strained relationship, there is only so much they're empowered to do. And now that the source of the strained relationship has been excised We'll have to see of there's any vindictiveness. My guess is they'll take the high road.

That would be mine, too.

44 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

From everyone I've talked too over the years, Dan Acheson is a decent, honorable, fair minded individual. He really does put the kids first, and the safety of them is imperative and all encompassing .He has a fiduciary responsibility too of protecting the brand and reputation of DCI itself, when any of its members so egregiously mishandle their duties. And he can be decisive when its called for. I have no idea what DCI HQ will do here, as we really are in unchartered waters. I would imagine Dan Acheson will need the proper time to ascertain the damage done here to DCI and will do what he sees fit. But he has a reputation for being fair and not a vindictive personality by nature. So we'll see how this plays out.

See?  We can agree.  Dan's a peach.

Without passing judgement on his ability to be a leader on contentious issues, I've always liked him and respected his service.

• Like 1

Don't know why this crossed my mind....

but imagine if Stu were still posting here.  This thread would already be 5,000 pages long, with him parsing every single word anyone has said. :tongue: 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Don't know why this crossed my mind....

but imagine if Stu were still posting here.  This thread would already be 5,000 pages long, with him parsing every single word anyone has said. :tongue: 

Ahh yes, whatever happened to Stu?  

My hope is that DCI recognizes that there are currently 150 members of the Cadets that worked hard and earned their spot in that corps.  If the ax must fall on the corps as a whole, can we please wait until their season is done.  Those members did nothing wrong and deserve the summer they worked so hard for.  If the corps must fold, let it be Sept 1, 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I generally agree with Garfield, you don’t want to put this in the hands of DCI the org because if they fail, they all go down. And the cost. Of course, DCI can review policies of the corps and take action should a corps violate their policies but the onus needs to remain on the individual corps. How could it be any other way with all the corps on the road for several weeks, 1 monitor per bus, please?

People’s attachments and loyalties to their corps will be the saving grace, as in the article many don’t want to take the corps down; they seem more focused on individuals’ responsibilities. And as much that has been laid on the staff, it seems there are more member to member issues but I assume that has already been covered by the contracts they sign with the corps

It’s good to get the house in order now, to shame the activity in to better behavior but in the end, this could just be a PR nightmare and not much more unless the lawsuits or external investigations start flying. Not to make light of the situation but it seems a bit hysterical. 

4 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Ahh yes, whatever happened to Stu?  

My hope is that DCI recognizes that there are currently 150 members of the Cadets that worked hard and earned their spot in that corps.  If the ax must fall on the corps as a whole, can we please wait until their season is done.  Those members did nothing wrong and deserve the summer they worked so hard for.  If the corps must fold, let it be Sept 1, 2018.

Well... as long as C2 isn't suspended on Sept. 1, since that's the day of DCA prelims.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1