The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No idea. It doesn't on his. Most recent post was in January. But he's checked out for several months at a time before. Real life gets in the way sometimes.

True.  He’ll probably be back as we get closer to the season.  He’ll have a lot of catching up to do.  :blink:

I’ve never shook my head in disbelief as much as I have the last five days.  And I’m 60. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Anything G7 is 8 years old and dead in the water. It’s time to stop beating that dead horse

Well, except one thing...

Is it untrue that the corps can perform almost every function that DCI performs, better?  Is this situation an example where the corps are better at performing an activity function better than central control and supervision from DCI?  This was a central theme of the G7 corps' presentation and contention.

There is very little enthusiasm among directors for governance from the DCI level, preferring to act themselves as individual corps.

I'm wondering if that viewpoint has provided a level of cloistering among individual corps that somehow provided cover and enabled the actions of one among them.

I'm wondering if the antiseptic of transparency required to meet activity standards - in the light of full disclosure during examination - would have exposed the flaws in Cadets BP that allowed for these victims to not have any avenue to report their abuse.

I believe there is a general lack of respect for edicts passed down to the corps from DCI with many or most directors simply ignoring them repeatedly, almost with disdain.

If we're going to have a full house-cleaning to eradicate the circumstances that permitted the cover under which the accused acted, we have to include an honest discussion about the circumstances that apparently prohibit centralized command and control of issues as important as this one.

IMO.

37 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm waiting for there to be a call to arms to expand the search to who, boa, and all the local circuits. It might be a witch Hunt.

A witch hunt has the connotation of going after innocent people. I don't think anyone here is suggesting setting aside due process.  Even with Hopkins. He resigned. Had he not resigned he should have been suspended as a precautionary measure until the allegations go through legal process. His resignation doesn't automatically mean he's guilty. 

Ok banned does not show up in the profile anymore. Found my problem child from the past and just says members. 

And just got a text from my sister stating it’s hard for her to believe after all these years only one corps has had a problem like this. IOW this might be the start of a rough time for the activity 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am confused by the argument several pages back concerning the Indianapolis Star article.

This text seems unambiguous to me:

"Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said. Participating groups that fail to meet Drum Corps International's policies can lead to that group's dismissal."

To me that plainly means that DCI believes that it already has the power (presumably by some vote of the DCI board or full membership) to expel a corps from DCI membership or otherwise discipline a corps if the corps doesn't meet certain standards--and we know DCI has punished corps in the past for matters of far less import than the cover-up of sexual harassment and assault (which is what Cadets may have done). It seems Acheson's review aims to spell out such consequences more plainly in advance, but is irrelevant to whether DCI has the ability right now to kick out Cadets, if it (again by some sort of vote) so chooses: it can.

(Not saying it should.)

Glad, of course, that you jumped in.

But you miss a critical connection that I just simply can't seem to get through in this discussion.  Read your quote again - WHO'S best practices is DCI ensuring compliance with? (sorry for the preposition) 

Does each state where a corps is located have actual laws regarding reporting, and is there federal law governing reporting that each org must follow?

"Reporting abuse"?  To WHOM?

Nowhere in ANY of that did DCI say it has policies regarding harassment that CORPS MUST FOLLOW.  The policies that they discuss in the Indy Star article relate to DCI employees, not member corps.

It is true that DCI can prevent drum corps from participating in the tour if they don't live up to established criteria (financial, food, MM health, etc), and it can EXPEL a corps for not maintaining those minimum standards to tour.

Stu - I mean Brasso - even wants to assert that DCI was made aware of THESE accusations in January when, if you read the words clearly, DCI said they were made aware of THESE accusations when we were. 

Isn't it possible that DCI was made aware of SOME accusations in January, but they didn't know about THESE accusations until last week?

It's not semantics and one can't substitute meaning for words that doesn't exist.  Once DCI actually HAS a policy of its own THAT APPLIES TO THE CORPS, it can expel corps for not living up to it.  If DCI finds that corps are not living up to local or federal law for reporting, they can expel that corps from the tour until they do.

That's all there is AT THE MOMENT.  There is not more.  But, that said, I think it's entirely probable that the other corps directors have already granted power to DCI to make definitive demands of Cadets BoD to ensure compliance with tour requirements, and also to address the general degradation that a prolonged process of transition would bring.

Edited by garfield

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok banned does not show up in the profile anymore. Found my problem child from the past and just says members. 

And just got a text from my sister stating it’s hard for her to believe after all these years only one corps has had a problem like this. IOW this might be the start of a rough time for the activity 

the system does not automatically change the profile when we change the account status - we have to remember to do it manually.  sometimes we forget

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's like Tuddy and Paulie Cicero. All messages to Dean go through Dan. Dean only talks to a very few people, and never on the phone.

Maybe Dean wears a red bandana and Dan wears a blue one?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

the system does not automatically change the profile when we change the account status - we have to remember to do it manually.  sometimes we forget

Interesting (remember John I work IT lol). Think dcp went to a new system since this guy was banned. Guess this is one piece that did not get converted. Working on converting an old application to web based so catching all loose pieces is on my mind. Oh yeah my new duties deal with Hazardous Waste... how appropriate 

Edited by JimF-LowBari