The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

This is an impressive DCI Administration response to a major crisis in its long history. Most impressive is how quickly Dan Acheson and other leaders reacted. Every group participating in DCI sanctioned events will benefit from DCI's appropriate reactions to such a difficult situation.

Well done!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm still pessimistic that the organization will survive - just being realistic. But, this direction does give them a fighting chance to make it. This will be a battle fought by the leadership and new board, the performers will have no impact on that battle. Hopefully they can stay focused and put out a great show this year. It's very wise to do a financial review and make sure that a successful season is possible. It looks like they're doing things right. IMO, the biggest potential peril is that donations dry up. Not because alumni, I assume they're the greatest source of donations, don't support the organization, but if lawsuits happen people don't want to donate money to help pay off lawsuits, they want to support the corps. That's my analysis from the outside. Hope they make it, killing the current BoD is the best move I've seen so far.

Things could change, of course, but up to now there has been no indication that I'm aware of that there are potential civil lawsuits out there that are about to be initiated. Hope thats true. I like the Cadets/ YEA chances of making it here. However, should there be lawsuits initiated, that becomes much more problematic to overcome with its inherent  costs/ time/ resources that would need to be spent on that, and away from the Corps proper.

Edited by BRASSO

20 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I see no info on this DCI release this evening that puts YEA/ Cadets on immediate probation that DCI imposed this probation upon YEA/ Cadets by virtue of a membership vote. Absent that voting info, it appears that DCI has the broad disciplinary powers to impose penalties upon Corps at the DCI HQ level for failures to follow DCI rules . Glad we could clear up any previous misunderstandings here on DCP of DCI HQ's very broad powers.

I can envision the Cadets new Executive Director and the newly installed YEA Board making an aggressive, good faith effort, as well as substantive, reportable evidence of compliance here to fulfill these DCI demands, and as such will probably have their DCI probation lifted in Sept 2018. I also can't see any effect on the Cadets summer tour schedule at the present time. But they need to move swiftly with this, it goes without saying.

In other words ... Told ya’ so?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Things could change, of course, but up to now there has been no indication that I'm aware of that there are potential civil lawsuits out there that are about to be initiated. Hope thats true. I like the Cadets/ YEA chances of making it here. However, should there be lawsuits initiated, that becomes much more problematic to overcome with its inherent  costs/ time/ resources that would need to be spent on that.

I'm a programmer / systems guy professionally, so I'm always looking for the thing that could go wrong. Thus, my continual pessimism. Occasionally I smile, but only briefly.

• Haha 2

"The terms of the probation include multiple steps for YEA! to take in order for its drum corps to participate in the upcoming 2018 DCI Summer Tour."

It they lays out all of the steps. 

That reads to me that they have a very short time to get these things accomplished.  2 Months?

If he left them in a bad way, this may be the hardest.

The YEA! organization must also submit a comprehensive financial plan and budget that clearly demonstrates its ability to participate successfully in the 2018 DCI Summer Tour while providing a safe and quality experience to its member students.

Edited by Daave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rmm155 said:

DCI's ethics and compliance page now shows:

This includes ethics concerns, as well as alleged violations of DCI’s values, code of conduct, and policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and retaliation.

The "code of conduct" is no longer capitalized... but is there an actual written code of conduct?  Again until seeing this, I'm unsure of what they are asking everyone to adhere to specifically.  Fore example, they indicate that they prohibit discrimination.  This is false. They openly condone discrimination by allowing the Scouts and Cavies to deny women access to auditioning for those corps.

DCI’s policies for the Cadets for the upcoming season are reasonable and can probably be accomplished. The financial piece is interesting. While we have heard of people on this site planning to donate, including some alums who have not given in years, there are others who will not, and I would imagine some donors would be corporate sponsors who may have policies that would prohibit donating so soon after the allegations have been made and have not been settled. We may say the healing process has started, people who have dealt with organizations who have faced this matter will say it has not yet begun. I would also think the compliance officer should be someone appointed by DCI and not hired by Cadets and approved by DCI, at least initially. I also think there should be a policy that all need to have temporary policies regarding sexual harassment and misconduct for this summer and an actual plan no later than September, 2018. Since quite a few corps already good policies in place, this should not be too difficult. 

8 minutes ago, Daave said:

"The terms of the probation include multiple steps for YEA! to take in order for its drum corps to participate in the upcoming 2018 DCI Summer Tour."

It they lays out all of the steps. 

That reads to me that they have a very short time to get these things accomplished.  2 Months?

It can be accomplished, imo... but not if they move with the speed/ efficiency of this :

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I see no info on this DCI release this evening, that puts YEA/Cadets on immediate probation, that DCI imposed this probation upon YEA/Cadets by virtue of a membership vote. Absent that voting info, it appears that DCI has the broad disciplinary powers to impose penalties upon Corps at the DCI HQ level for failures to follow DCI rules. Glad we could clear up any previous misunderstandings here on DCP of DCI HQ's very broad powers.

Actually, the statement says:

"To ensure continuing appropriate action, the DCI Board has placed the participating drum corps of YEA! on probation, effective immediately."

What I had said, and what you had seemed to agree with, was that Acheson alone probably could not make this decision; rather a vote of either DCI's board or the full membership would be required to impose any penalties on YEA.

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Actually, the statement says:

"To ensure continuing appropriate action, the DCI Board has placed the participating drum corps of YEA! on probation, effective immediately."

What I had said, and what you had seemed to agree with, was that Acheson alone probably could not make this decision; rather a vote of either DCI's board or the full membership would be required to impose any penalties on YEA.

DCI HQ level....' agreed Dan Acheson probably could not act alone. But I never really believed that DCI HQ  needed the vote of member corps in order to impose penalties, sanctions on Corps that failed to follow DCI rules. And 'gave examples where DCI HQ imposed suspensions on Corps before that DCI HQ believed were in non compliance, that had me believe this. Today, DCI HQ level imposed a probation upon a Corps that DCI HQ believed was in non compliance, and no vote outside of DCI HQ's Board was required for such a disciplinary penalty.

Edited by BRASSO