The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Forget Hillary in prison, let’s put Hop in there 

This is happening in Pennsylvania, where Bill Cosby is currently on trial over very similar accusations.

If 'Justice is Blind', I would expect GH to be in the dock soon.  Several cases are well within the 12-yr statute of limitations.

1 hour ago, totaleefree said:

This is still all based on accusations. For basic background checks to be a teacher or work with kids it only shows if you have been charged with a crime or maybe had a bankruptcy. I think that he has to be charged with something, until then there is nothing  legaly preventing him from working with a youth organization. I don't want a legal battle with huge costs killing the corps.  But as long as he has not been charged it could be difficult to ban him from that activity.

Perhaps nothing legally preventing it, but for all practical purposes, as things stand currently, the ban is in place from the publicity alone. Any simple google search will bring all this news up for the foreseeable future. Plus he has been an extremely high profile figure in the relatively small world of corps/band. Word has/will spread far and wide. Enough to scare off the vast majority.

It's all a tragic story. One of his own (alleged) making, but still tragic. A reminder of how easily everything one has assembled can vanish if you make poor choices and treat others badly.

1 hour ago, oldsoprano said:

Pretty sure that the last time I did any Grade A Heckling at a drum corps show, the recipient of said heckling was one George Hopkins. It was at the Rose Bowl and he was on the field #####ing about hash marks.

Coincidentally, it was the Cadets, 91 East prelims. Mike K. still is prolly trying to figure out who wolf howled in the Copland number and where all his hair went. :innocent:

18 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

If it was such big news, why was it not on here ?

Not everything hit's the public  chat pages of the internet. If it did your head would spin. As shocking as this is there has always been plenty over the decades. We as an activity are not immune to anything you see in society. Many think we are immune to all this stuff, including politics,  and think it doesn't have anything to do with us. Nothing is further  than the truth,

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Just now, bishtom said:

Is Hopkins in jail yet?

That... takes time to determine. DA's/prosecutors who do the right thing and seek to be fair to the Victims and Accused as well really make sure they have an ironclad case they've put together before they go public. It takes time to put something like that together the right way. Competent prosecutors really work hard at that. They last thing they want is to blow a case and let someone get away by being sloppy and hasty for publicity or to placate the madding crowd. Or, to jump the gun and accuse someone without enough of a case built up to succeed in front of a jury.

We'll have to see on that. It could take several months- maybe longer- for anything of that sort to happen. I wouldn't be surprised either way if something or nothing happens right now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BigW said:

That... takes time to determine. DA's/prosecutors who do the right thing and seek to be fair to the Victims and Accused as well really make sure they have an ironclad case they've put together before they go public. It takes time to put something like that together the right way. Competent prosecutors really work hard at that. They last thing they want is to blow a case and let someone get away by being sloppy and hasty for publicity or to placate the madding crowd. Or, to jump the gun and accuse someone without enough of a case built up to succeed in front of a jury.

We'll have to see on that. It could take several months- maybe longer- for anything of that sort to happen. I wouldn't be surprised either way if something or nothing happens right now.

He’s now a pariah. 

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

The changes will definitely improve them on the field this summer!  The constant design panic and rewrites had been killing their chances of being clean.  Can't wait to see the greatness their unshackled designers and staff will help the MMs deliver this summer!  

This is what I keep thinking as well. If they are allowed to unleash the talent, this could be a great year for them. I haven’t been a Cadets fan primarily due to the Hop,  but I’m in their corner cheering them on now. 

• Like 3