The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

if it walks like a duck. quacks like a duck...

Nobody is going to try and  make the case that a probation is not a ' disciplinary penalty " ,skevinp,.. in any endeavor... so I'm not sure what your point really is and where you'd like to go with this... lol!.

I'll take that as a "no".  Thanks for clarifying.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

I thought monitoring is every two weeks beginning April 30th...probation until September2018 at minimum...unless I read wrong..

The first monitoring report is to be preferably made before the 30th if possible. The way I read it, it seemed to imply September as an early target if things went well.

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

Just read the new article. Jesus. Marched with Jessica. Three of these accounts are from around when I was marching there (2006). It It makes me sick to think what he was doing and what people were experiencing while I was marching. He always seemed crazy and narcissistic and blamed members for everything but this puts it in a whole new light. Jesus. 

When something like this becomes personal to you, when you know affected individuals, it really increases the hit inside by an order of magnitude. Heck, the individual I know was only "approached"... and this has hit me.

Said a prayer for the affected individuals by this mess. I felt like I got a response when I prayed to the effect that "Dude, I've been working  hard on this one for a LONG time."  My thoughts are that if you know affected people and are their friends, keep being their friends. That's the best way to help them. If you're so inclined to pray, pray. I find it can change things for the better, but that's just me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't really have any words for this. Extremely sickening and disappointing. I feel like all those "Hop talks" I listened to through the years I marched were all hypocritical.

*nods* Had the same feeling after growing up 30 miles from PSU after everything broke there and being fed all the hype from childhood on. Still do.

The thing is, as Guardling said- you have friends there that you will always have. I met Jim Fawber when I was a 16 year old Rookie that could barely march and I'd kill for the guy 39 years later. You'll still be that way too about your corps friends when you get there. I know it.  Can't let this guy diminish those connections, ever.  I know you won't. As we say at UPS when things get bad, Be Strong.:worthy:

9 hours ago, JMS1995 said:

The man Beyer said she confided in, Sean King, last week was named as Hopkins’ interim replacement.

...stunned if this is true.  OK, board of directors #2 out... time for panel #3!

This is what some of us asked from Day 1.  I could go back to my first post here and link it, but I'll paraphrase:  Who else knew and who else let it go on?

As great as it was for the board to resign and be replace quickly.  As much as DCI covered in their conditions of the probation, it was all about following rules going forward.  The key question of who is still employed by this organization who knew about this stuff has not really been addressed.  Now, one alleged name has emerged and he just happens to have gotten a promotion to being George's replacement.

Organizations have culture and culture usually is established at the top.  The longer an organization has the same leadership, the deeper that culture gets.  This organization had the same leader for decades.

From the article:  (the quote is said to be from King)

Overwhelmed by the unwanted attention, Beyer said she more than once told a superior that Hopkins was making her uncomfortable, stopping short of telling him about the alleged rape but sharing some details about Hopkin’s texting and office behavior.

“I was told that’s just how he was,” Beyer, 33, said. “‘You know how George is.’”

I have to wonder if DCI amends its demands.

• Like 1

LOL! More to remind each other when things are out of control and really bad, to be strong mentally and hold together. The physical thing is one thing there, the real challenge is the mental stress and bombardment. Stuff we all learned in corps kinds of things.:happy:

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

The man Beyer said she confided in, Sean King, last week was named as Hopkins’ interim replacement.

King took the helm of Youth Education in the Arts, the Allentown nonprofit that runs the famed Cadets drum and bugle corps, after Hopkins resigned last week. King declined to speak with a reporter. Through a spokesman, he denied that Beyer or any woman told him of being sexually harassed by Hopkins.

“I have never heard of him [George] sexually abusing anyone,” King said. “I never received an allegation. Ever. Had someone brought that to me, I would have reported it.”

This is not true.  Everyone that knows Sean King knows he would have reported it in 2 seconds.  I also know other instructors and former YEA employees that I have asked if they saw any of this and everyone of them has said no. There are at least 10 YEA employees that never saw George do any of this.   I am not defending George, he will have his day in court I am sure.  If they make Sean King a victim of what Hopkins is alleged of doing then I and many others will never donate another penny to this organization again. This man has the most integrity of anyone I know and everyone who is close to the situation knows this.   This would be yet another tragedy  to an innocent person. If Sean says he did not get told, believe it.  I hope the donors all take a stand and not let this mans good name be damaged.  I have personally given 10's of thousands to this organization.  This will be a huge mistake to make this man a victim too.

Edited by ebo

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Unfortunately (and maybe, fortunately), I cannot read the article unless I buy a subscription. I guess I'll wait until next month to get angry again.

Scan  AP news it’ll get around 

Edited by Jeff Ream

7 minutes ago, ebo said:

This is not true.  Everyone that knows Sean King knows he would have reported it in 2 seconds.  I also know other instructors and former YEA employees that I have asked if they saw any of this and everyone of them has said no. There are at least 10 YEA employees that never saw George do any of this.   I am not defending George, he will have his day in court I am sure.  If they make Sean King a victim of what Hopkins is alleged of doing then I and many others will never donate another penny to this organization again. This man has the most integrity of anyone I know and everyone who is close to the situation knows this.   This would be yet another tragedy  to an innocent person. If Sean says he did not get told, believe it.  I hope the donors all take a stand and not let this mans good name be damaged.  I have personally given 10's of thousands to this organization.  This will be a huge mistake to make this man the next victim.  

So the whole Hopkins rapey thing was a smear campaign to take down King? I believe the woman.

• Like 1