The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

22 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Isn't he just "INTERIM" anyway?..or did I miss something?

No. I believe you have it right.. It was reported that Sean King was chosen a few days ago as " Interim ". Corps DIrector there at The Cadets. But he was supposed to be Dan Acheson's principal contact person there at the Cadets as the Cadets were on a heavy, tight schedule to put together lots of things before the end of April for DCI for DCI's assurances that the Cadets were in a stable position organizationally to allow the marchers to go out on tour. Today, at this moment, if the info is accurate regarding Sean King's suspension, the Cadets have no Executive Director for their Drum Corps. Naturally this needs to change, and FAST, as the clock is ticking, and the Cadets move ins are less than a few weeks now away. Ugh. Not good. Not good  here at the moment at all. And here I was yesterday, feeling pretty good about the chances of the Cadets emerging from this ok... Now, with the removal of 2 Corps Directors at the Cadets within less than 2 weeks time, the instability of the Corps at the moment is regrettaby most unfortunate... most especially to the 2018 Cadets marchers. They were blindsided by all this, and don't deserve this at all. Hopefully, the new YEA BOD has a Plan B, they can implement ASAP, get a new Corps Director chosen  ASAP, and get working ASAP on DCI HQ's requirements. Time is of the essence, but things need to be done correctly and methodically too, of course.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

How is a reporter reporting a statement directly from Sean King himself "unconfirmed text"? She's been covering it from the beginning.

I suspect that, when you go on vacation, you enjoy dodging lava flows or trying to outrun tornadoes, or maybe standing in a high-rise building on one of those glass-floored terror chambers that let you stare straight down 1,000 feet to your doom

Tempting death and destruction (of brain cells if not body parts, here).

:lle:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ebo said:

Like I said he is an amazing person and he does not deserve this.   

20 minutes ago, ebo said:

I believe Sean.  if you knew him you would too.  

I totally understand your frustration, I haven't interacted with him personally, but from what I've gathered from a far and from others he seems to be a man of character.

2 things I see could have happened.  She didn't mention anything to him and made that part up.  It's possible.

The other thing I see could have happening, she may have just said as a small concern (in his eyes) that George is making her a little uncomfortable, and his response was that GH is innocent, he is that way with everyone.  

Do I believe he purposely brushed aside a major concern of hers.  NO.  

But, it may have come off as a small plea for help, and innocently enough, he looked to make her feel comfortable rather than bringing the issue up with GH.  It is completely understandable, but with ALL of these stories and allegations and the alleged victims of his horrendous behavior, sometimes the bad optics are going to win, and right now a man of high moral character is (hopefully temporarily) is paying the price of another. 

I understand you give $$,$$$'s of dollars, and you may withhold that.  BUT...put yourselves in the new board's shoes.  What are they supposed to do when a current employee is shown in a negative light?  The board can't condemn GH on one hand and allow him to stay on.  That's horrible press, and I guarantee you the PR firm working with them said they at least have to suspend him.

In the end, we have to hope the full truth (no matter what it is) comes to light.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No. I believe you have it right.. It was reported that Sean King was chosen a few days ago as " Interim ". Corps DIrector there at The Cadets. But he was supposed to be Dan Acheson's principal contact person there at the Cadets as the Cadets were on a heavy, tight schedule to put together lots of things before the end of April for DCI for DCI's assurances that the Cadets were in a stable position organizationally to allow the marchers to go out on tour. Today, at this moment, if the info is accurate regarding Sean King's suspension, the Cadets have no Executive Director for their Drum Corps. Naturally this needs to change, and FAST, as the clock is ticking, and the Cadets move ins are less than a few weeks now away. Ugh. Not good. Not good  here at the moment at all. And here I was yesterday, feeling pretty good about the chances of the Cadets emerging from this ok... Now, with the removal of 2 Corps Directors at the Cadets within less than 2 weeks time, the instability of the Corps at the moment is regrettaby most unfortunate... most especially to the 2018 Cadets marchers. They were blindsided by all this, and don't deserve this at all.

No, he was interim CEO.  Rich Hammond is the director.

12 minutes ago, Liahona said:

That wasn't enough for an investigation then versus a brush off?...I don't know either of these people...but I'm just not buying his account here...crude comments are inexcusable behavior in a professional work environment...

Yes, they are today but much less so back then.

This was common-knowledge back then and the way it was dealt with was to cover it up and wait for the victim to report something they could take to the police.

After the crime.

Today we do things different, of course and thank God.

46 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Ah. Nevermind my question. Your role here is clear.

"Crafty little bugger, aren't you?"

-- Said that professional hunter in Jurrasic Park who thought he was outfoxing a raptor in front of him, right before one other poked its head out of the bush right next to him.

7 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

No, he was interim CEO.  Rich Hammond is the director.

Ah, thanks.  I thought I'd read that, too, but Brasso made me doubt.

Glad to know they have an ED still.

CEO's are unnecessary for the daily operation and, with DCI looking over the shoulder, most decisions made by the creative staff are looked after with, likely, a direct line to Dan A's office if they need help. Then I'd bet Dan calls in help from DCI's BoD to address whatever they need.

39 minutes ago, ebo said:

I believe Sean.  if you knew him you would too.  

Fair enough. I really don't know who to believe for certain, but in cases of women stating what happened in situations that involve sexual abuse, ( and proper notifications of such improprities of a sexual nature at the office ) ) I tend to give far more credence to the women's side of the story. Money seems not to be this women's motivation for coming forth with this either. And... she is a former marcher with the Cadets. She says she loves the Corps. She says she did not want to come forward as this info would damage the Corps. If her account is true however, it seems to me she has not damaged the Cadets... ( nor the other alleged victims _.). The people in positions of authority there have damaged the Cadets, not the young marchers/ workers there . This victimization occurances span from 1980 to 2006 at the moment. Thats over 25 years of on going sexual abuse and apparent classic workplace enabling going on there if these reports are to be believed. Not sure any longer that a fix for all that with The Cadets can be done in a few days/ weeks/ months now. But... one can only hope.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

There are a lot of references to "back then." But even today, a certain set of circumstances can deeply foster these behaviors.

• If a workplace is small enough. (example: not big enough to have a functional HR dept)
  • If a workplace, or job in insulated enough. (example: an "industry" that isn't exposed much to forces outside of it's own way of doing things)
  • If the employees have never had experiences with organizations with well-defined and observed policies. (example: a lot of green workforce, or "passion jobs")

Combine any or all of these with other assorted factors and the situation is ripe for abuses.

My wife needed a break from her professional life about 2 years back. She started bar-tending at a restaurant during that time. It had been 20+ years since she worked in the restaurant business. We quickly found out how little has changed in that industry in all of that time. Watch the film Waiting (with Ryan Reynolds) today and it is still not far from the truth. An industry that matches the first 2 bullet points to a T.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Dcas statement:

“DCA has recently learned of the troubling allegations made against a former director of a national drum corps.  In light of these allegations, DCA, will continue to monitor its policies and procedures to ensure the safety of all persons participating  in, or associated with, DCA.”

I expected more 

Silence would have been better than this pathetic, two-sentence nothing burger.