The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 hours ago, GeekySam said:

as a former YEA! employee, none of the people I worked with over the 2 years I was there are surprised about Hopkins  we all knew he was a hypocrite and a creep and for some employees there was freedom for plenty of what some would call locker room talk. it was part of the work culture.

i agree Sean is good and he mostly stayed out of the messs but there was no HR department, just colleagues venting to one another.  being there the longest Sean would daily hear frustrations of employees and then he would get dumped on by Hopkins daily.  

i can imagine Jess probably went to Sean's office and said something basicly like, "George is unbearable and rude and inappropriate." And Sean probably nodded and said, "I know.  Just avoid him."  that basic conversation happened hundreds of times while i was there. most times it was because hop yelled about ticket sales being low or not enough bands being signed up for a band show. if she didn't explicitly say what hop was doing to make her uncomfortable sean probably assumed it was typical stuff.

Sean probably didn't know exactly what was going on and even with all the complaints there was no recourse for him to do anything with the complaints. There was no HR and no spines on the board members. So Sean just took in people's venting and did what he could to make them feel supported.  Had he been told of a physical assault I have no doubt he would have reported it to the police or advised her to do the same but at a certain point 'Hop is rude and an ###.' was just part of the job that everyone accepted because if you didn't, you'd be the one out of a job.

This is an important post, I think.

9 minutes ago, camel lips said:

I gotta say it sucks to be George Hopkins right now. 

Yes, rightly so. Let's say he avoids jail time, what do you do now? All I can come up with is move to Tibet and hope nobody recognizes you.

4 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

There are a lot of references to "back then." But even today, a certain set of circumstances can deeply foster these behaviors.

• If a workplace is small enough. (example: not big enough to have a functional HR dept)
  • If a workplace, or job in insulated enough. (example: an "industry" that isn't exposed much to forces outside of it's own way of doing things)
  • If the employees have never had experiences with organizations with well-defined and observed policies. (example: a lot of green workforce, or "passion jobs")

Combine any or all of these with other assorted factors and the situation is ripe for abuses.

My wife needed a break from her professional life about 2 years back. She started bar-tending at a restaurant during that time. It had been 20+ years since she worked in the restaurant business. We quickly found out how little has changed in that industry in all of that time. Watch the film Waiting (with Ryan Reynolds) today and it is still not far from the truth. An industry that matches the first 2 bullet points to a T.

Valuable comments there.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

So now we are judging any and all individuals who have ever chosen to work with YEA or the Cadets? I mean, let's get over ourselves and perhaps realize (and respect) that individuals make their own choices for many reasons. There are many who have worked with YEA and greatly benefitted from it. Cadets are among the most recognized marching-music entities in the world - the chance to work with such a group is a huge benefit to those who have done so - be it just a "resume" builder or skill set gain. Many stayed for decades with the Cadets (working alongside Hopkins) and reportedly enjoyed the experience. So there ya go.

Sometimes, when I read people talking about the Cadets, I get a strong impression of "Cadets Exceptionalism".  A lot of people who have worked with other corps can say the same things about "resume building" and "skill set gains".  So, what is it about the Cadets that is/was different from--say--Blue Devils or Crown or Santa Clara?  What was truly unique to the Cadets?

And whatever that "thing" is, does it have any relevance to what has unfolded over the last week?

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Sometimes, when I read people talking about the Cadets, I get a strong impression of "Cadets Exceptionalism".  A lot of people who have worked with other corps can say the same things about "resume building" and "skill set gains".  So, what is it about the Cadets that is/was different from--say--Blue Devils or Crown or Santa Clara?  What was truly unique to the Cadets?

George Hopkins.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

If I'm on YEA's board, based on what we know so far, I would be inclined to reinstate King (following a review). Cadets was clearly a dysfunctional organization led by a monster, the complaint was (apparently) routine and thus, sadly, easy to forget (especially ten plus years on), and they didn't have policies for staff to deal with this sort of thing. They do now.

My opinion would certainly change if the known facts do.

2 hours ago, ebo said:

No it means that what George did was not in the open where others saw it can could even know what he was doing.  In fact look at all the stories and read them.  Most were where he told them out or to a hotel room...etc.   How would the YEA people see this?  Don't make them victims too.  I have spoken to YEA employees and they all said they didn't see any of this at work. That is not saying that George didn't do it nor am I defending him.  I am defending a person who should not be another victim of this, Sean King. 

I want to trust and believe in Sean, but this one nagging thing has been in my head for weeks...

it was recently announced Sean was leaving YEA.

Why? I mean I saw the press release....but we all know those can be fabricated. So really....why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Yes, rightly so. Let's say he avoids jail time, what do you do now? All I can come up with is move to Tibet and hope nobody recognizes you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/04/10/geoffrey-rush-virtually-housebound-anxiety-misconduct-claims/

No one should be beyond reclamation, but obviously Hopkins can never work in this field again. I hate to ask this, and I care much less about his well-being than about that of his many victims, but: does he have any family or other support structure that he can turn to? Confronted with the truth and shame of their crimes, offenders sometimes hurt themselves. The last thing anyone should want is for Hopkins to be seen as a victim himself. (A friend has a saying: "The most cowardly words in the world are 'You made me do this.'")

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

The article was poorly written, and the reporter's investigation was not thorough.  That being said, it is possible to believe BOTH the victim AND Sean.  Perhaps this specific episode is a bit of a misunderstanding?

it reeks of Paterno and McQueary. Mike didn't tell Joe fully what he saw. So while Joe knew there was a concern and took it above, Mike didn't tell everything. 

could be the same thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Awesome. Then you aren't supporting the organization, you're think you're buying influence.

works in politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1