The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

42 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To again cite what hostrauser mentioned more than 250 pages ago: according to the FBI, claims of sexual assault are false only 3% of the time. Which means that the odds of just the first nine victims (and now there are at least two more) lying are 1 in 50 trillion.

(A) I'm not sure that is an accurate quote of Hostrauer, but his post seems to have gone missing.  I thought his quote was 3% of all claims, not specifically sexual assault claims.  In fact, one of the latest and apparently most accepted studies  holds that claims of rape are 5 times more likely to be false than other reported crimes, though still finding only 5% of rape complaints being without basis.   

(B) Those statistics also relate to actual filings of complaints with a police department, not telling a reporter.  A person willing to put themselves through the process of a police investigation and court case is much less likely to make up, or embellish in any way, their claim, especially since they risk criminal penalties.   There is also the 6th Amendment, which gives the accused a right to confront the witnesses against him, and there is a right for a defense to cross-examine testimony.  All those things weigh against filing a false report.   

None of that, of course, means that any single fact any of those women said was untrue.  I just prefer that we be accurate when we discuss these things.

Edited by Eleran
  • Thanks 3

Just now, camel lips said:

It really is hard to believe that if these allegations are true that SOMEONE at The Cadets or YEA had not heard them before and failed to act on them or investigate them. I mean seriously!

If there were people running around saying stay away from GH hes a creep , stay away from GH he's that way... then it HAD to have gotten back to the BOD . HAD TO! No if ands or buts about it.

Maybe? How long are board members' terms? How long had the current crop been there? How much influence did Hopkins have on board membership? Board members who heard about it in the past might have been quietly pushed out.

Just now, cowtown said:

Question, this Coup; was it due to Cadets recent drop in placement?

we're they sitting on this info for a while?

what are you really saying

IDK I really haven't followed the Summer Bands closely since 2009 other than peeking in on scores at finals weeks. Haven't been to a show since 2009 or even seen a clip I am so disgusted with the direction of the activity on the field. 

But the scuttlebut on Social Media was at the end of 2016 there was a major upraor about something at The Cadets and GH was scrambling to look for replacements at both Cadets and Cadets2. So it makes one wonder WTF?? 

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Jeff's not much of a ranter, actually. Not his style.

As a ranter, I feel a bit slighted

though I've yet to rant on this, just watching, gathering and asking a few questions

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, year1buick said:

As long as you don’t mention any trampolines. That’s just going too far...

:laughing:

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

(A) I'm not sure that is an accurate quote of Hostrauer, but his post seems to have gone missing.  I thought his quote was 3% of all claims, not specifically sexual assault claims.  In fact, one of the latest and apparently most accepted studies  holds that claims of rape are 5 times more likely to be false than other reported crimes, though still finding only 5% of rape complaints being without basis.   

(B) Those statistics also relate to with actual filings of complaints with a police department, not telling a reporter.  A person willing to put themselves through the process of a police investigation and court case is much less likely to make up, or embellish in any way, their claim, especially since they risk criminal penalties.   There is also the 6th Amendment, which gives the accused a right to confront the witnesses against him, and there is a right for a defense to cross-examine testimony.  All those things weigh against filing a false report.   

None of that, of course, means that any single fact any of those women said was untrue.  I just prefer that we be accurate when we discuss these things.

Accuracy is good. For reference, here is the post in question.

• Like 1

Did we lose the sign that said to refrain from feeding the trolls? I think it’s hanging around somewhere. 

Some cleaning and hammering has happened, please leave the name-calling out of it. I get enough of that at work. 

• Thanks 1

Any reason given for Rich Templin leaving. Man over 40 years since he was yelling me for my marching “skills”.

• Thanks 1