The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Here’s the thing about the call: we only know what Rice said on RAMD. We don’t have a transcript of the whole call. I’m not defending either one, just stating an obvious fact 

Completely agreed.  I don't know how you begin to discover the truth of what precisely happened... a legal proceeding would potentially bring witnesses of some sort forward.  I'm not saying it will go that direction.

• Like 1

Back in 2003, I was involved in the long process of evicting someone from an apartment building I owned. There were many phone calls, with many people. In all honesty, I could never remember every call, every person, every other kind of communication I had on that matter.

I believe it is unfair for any of us to claim that Dan Acheson should have clear recollection of his calls from spectators during that same period. He must have had hundreds of calls, a great many of them either negative, or statements in the form of hearsay.

Of course, we can't know more about what exchanges actually did take place back then, until/or if that comes forward later. Until then, I believe Dan's response to the Inquirer reporter was handled very well.

Edited by Fred Windish

I find it interesting that obviously the big news is with GH, but the article redacts the other DCI staffer but doesn't say they will look into the matter.

36 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I think these are different. The accusation for Sean was by someone who was directly impacted by the action. She was a victim. For Dan, this was someone sharing a rumor that GH was sleeping with members. While not good on either front they are very different circumstances IMHO.

The rumor aspect is key for Dan Acheson. George Hopkins was always the subject of rumors, and as we know from earlier posts some saw this situation as a speeding freight train, and others, even some who are not GH fans, were, if not surprised, didn’t expect what has happened. If a specific name of an accuser was not mentioned with the rumor, he may have a leg to stand on, but where he could have some trouble is that it was mentioned in 2003, about ten years after the Boy Scouts paid large settlements and put into practice policies that have shaped not only child protection but were adapted for workplace protection. It was also a year after the sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church came to light and almost as bad as the abuse of minors was either ignoring complaints or covering up predators. 

Should he resign or be removed? If it involved a minor or the person reported it to someone in authority at the Cadets, no question, but based on what has been reported, that does not seem to be the case. Keep in mind if he worked for a public school, IBM, Starbucks, or any other corporation, he would either be fired or forced to resign. What he should do in the meantime is reach out to corporations and law enforcement for sexual harassment prevention training and methods of reporting. This way he’d be admitting there is a problem while working toward a solution. 

• Like 1

Unless the "source" that is often referred to in the article is now willing to come forward with the information, there is most likely little any investigation could do with third part hearsay that is 15 years old.

"... and everybody wanted to get in the newspaper story about it."  Arlo Guthrie - "Alice's Restaurant Massacree"

9 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I find it interesting that obviously the big news is with GH, but the article redacts the other DCI staffer but doesn't say they will look into the matter.

I can messaged you the unredacted version.  

• Like 1

I have never looked at YEA's books so I have no idea how its finances look.  Several years ago when c2 was new, someone that I knew was marching with them. In July he sent out an appeal that the corps needed a couple thousand dollars  to get them to DCA finals. I sent $25 to the corps since I thought c2 was a worthy cause and since it was only a year or 2 old a few thousand in late expenses made sense. Then  for the next 2 years every month during the summer I got an email from YEA saying they needed 5k  in July to make sure the new uniforms were ready in time for finals, or 5 people to sponsor meals for finals next week.  All the thing were 5k or less so it didn't make a big alarm like corps who need 100k in the middle of the summer would.   I don't know if they just had a horrible plan and needed funds for basic things every July and August or if it was just a tactic that worked  creating an emergency to raise some extra funds. Based on those requests you would have thought that every July they didn't have 2 dimes to rub together.     Now years later I think that was just a fundraising tactic. Hopefully when the books are reviewed we will know what the actual financial status of the corps are.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I don't think anyone wants to punish the members. 

But, we don't want the Cadets to melt-down mid-tour, not because of talent or member effort, but because of leadership or financial failures.  In my opinion, that would be a lot harder to recover from than DCI telling them to hake a year off to sweep all parts of the organization that need to be swept & to get their ducks in a row for 2019. 

In my opinion, you don't just give up. You fight through hurdles. Life doesn't give you hurdles to just shut down. Cadets should keep their season going. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So, assuming this is true, what should happen to Dan Acheson as a result of his inaction?

Well, if what Rice claims in the article is a true quote, it pretty much seals my point about what power DCI has in the issue.  Dan A. himself said specifically and exactly what I've been saying since last summer:

The effort should be directed at the corps, not at DCI.

Interestingly, Dan A has made a very successful career out of being exactly what his BoD has asked him to be.

I don't think anything at all should happen to him as a result of his inaction.  He was doing exactly what his BoD asks him to do.

I don't know how many times I have to express it or in how many different ways.

If the corps want an ED of DCI that has teeth and punitive powers, formal guidance procedures, and responsibility for compliance supervision of all or some corps' policies, they'll determine if Dan A has the respect and authority to implement their wishes or if they'll begin a review to replace him with someone they believe will command it.

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

An interesting revelation in today's Philly.com article that jumped out at me was... Dan A is making $114,000 a year versus $177,000 for GH? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

I'm pretty sure that GH would say that Dan A doesn't produce anything of value, not design or art, not gate receipts, and not teaching young minds.  

I'm also pretty sure that GH would claim it is exactly how it should be.

• Like 2