The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 hours ago, Ghost said:

Ahhhh,, I see loads of zeroes on that check.  May the finished work allow you to recoup your investment in the tuba's value.  Time to increase the insurance policy.

Because it's vintage... not worth a ton. The project is being done to make one of the half dozen or so of these extant play as new again. It's one of these. This one seems to be the only older one, none of them really play well, they "kind of play". I wish to change that. :biggrin:

https://www.robbstewart.com/conn-eb-tuba/

I... also caved and well... I've always wanted an Urbie Green since I was a kid... they like me, cut a deal.... and this one was likely one of Urbie's for a time before it went to a service Jazz band guy...so... I ended up with one of those too, once they get it spiffed up for me. Need to work on my slide fu some more.:whistle:

Edited by BigW

2 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

Why do more than 15,000 friends still follow GH's Facebook page?

Why do some NASCAR fans go to Talladega... in hopes of seeing the "Big One". I think they're hoping for the same kind of huge wreck at FB.

16 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Some people here just want the maximum punishment even at the expense of the members. 

Some = a very, very, small percentage. Most folks want to see the Corps perform as well as they can and for the MM to have the kind of "Cadets Experience" they seek in every positive way that term should have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was long gone by then. 

Unfortunately, I was around to hear a ton of craziness, and STU was one of those posters.

I appreciate the journalist trying to go after the story. My heart is with the victims. Reading that article today referencing RAMD and Mr. Rice, all that credibility is slowly going out the window.  I understand chasing the lead, but slow down there.  

I’ve seen and dealt with reporters like this wanting a story. I was a superintendent and dealt with journalists just like what I’m seeing here. Trying to find any lead and person who they can interview to get any additional dirt. It’s why I never take any news on TV or in paper as the absolute truth. 

A couple years ago I dealt with a journalist student studying to be an investigative reporter.  They were dragging in anyone who wanted to put the school in a bad light. They wanted to come on campus and do interviews with staff, the whole nine yards. Our Governing Board didn’t play and I had my PR person squash that in an instant. We went to her boss/professor and even the president of the university.  We told them if they run this sensational piece we’d come with our own and how they are attacking our school that is quite unique and diverse.  We were already being as transparent as we could and were holding information nights for community.

In the end, the article was published but had nothing to do with the original reason they wanted to write about. It sounded more like disgruntled parents and some staff. It was quickly forgotten.  The reporter’s article didn’t have legs because of the sources she was using.  In the end the reporter could only salvage what they could because we were proactive about it and her sources lacked credibility.  That reporter has a webpage and all the investigative articles they have written over the years. Ours is not included on their page   

Honestly this issue with Yea! is starting to feel just like it.  Some us know or read the ramblings of Stu back in the days and we know just how interesting an individual he was.  This issue is important and I want the victims to get justice but let’s do it in the right way and for the right cause.  

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, if what Rice claims in the article is a true quote, it pretty much seals my point about what power DCI has in the issue.  Dan A. himself said specifically and exactly what I've been saying since last summer: The effort should be directed at the corps, not at DCI. [1]

Interestingly, Dan A has made a very successful career out of being exactly what his BoD has asked him to be. I don't think anything at all should happen to him as a result of his inaction.  He was doing exactly what his BoD asks him to do. [2]

I don't know how many times I have to express it or in how many different ways.

If the corps want an ED of DCI that has teeth and punitive powers, formal guidance procedures, and responsibility for compliance supervision of all or some corps' policies, they'll determine if Dan A has the respect and authority to implement their wishes or if they'll begin a review to replace him with someone they believe will command it.

[1] Except that DCI has now done what Dan A. supposedly said in 2003 DCI couldn't do.

[2] When was "I was only following orders" ever acceptable? Do we not all have moral obligations?

(As I indicated in another post, I'm willing to give Acheson a pass here, but not without some scrutiny.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand