The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

DCI would need to change their mission statement and expand on its services and capabilities as an organization which would require its member corps to accept. I doubt the resources are available to revise its foot print let alone extend its authority without a vote by its member corps. 

Then they'd best get on with making it happen.  Vote on it.  Do it.  Because  the current organizational and administrative model isn't serving them too well.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes- and according to DCI's statement putting the corps on probation, RAINN will be starting to report in to DCI HQ starting any time between now and the and of the month and every 2 weeks thereafter on how things are going. I felt this part of DCI's probationary terms will be the most demanding to achieve, I still do.

And since DCI is the only game in town they can prohibit by their authority participation in their shows based on a number of yet to be made public defined qualifiers.  My question is - does DCI have the authority based soley on these allegations to put an organization on probation when no known sexual abuse or misconduct policy to my knowledge currently exist at DCI?

Edited by Jim Schehr

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

It’s not the responsibility of the organization that schedules and promotes shows for member corps to provide policy, processes and procedures, let alone disciplinary actions, unless the member corps put forth a proposal for the member corps to pass and agree to follow those requirements and procedures in the proposal. 

How did it come to pass that this organization, which can only schedule and promote shows, placed a corps on probation?

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How did it come to pass that this organization, which can only schedule and promote shows, placed a corps on probation?

My question too. 

25 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Certainly understand the sensitive nature of this subject.  Don't know how BOA and or WGI is structured with regards to these issues. (great discussion) However if either has policies in place that stipulate how they are handled, it may be a model to mirror. That's if DCI member corps agree to expand the arm of authority of DCI. 

I assumed they were taken care of by the schools that participted in those circuits. DCI is a much more complicated matter as the corps are independent bodies of their own.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BigW said:

There may be something in the bylaws granting the equivalent of "broad discretionary powers" for extreme circumstances like this one. My guess is there is something in there like it.

I would like to read what is specified in those bylaws.

14 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I'll restate my guess is that there are some kind of the equivalent of "Broad discretionary powers" that can be used in extreme situations somewhere in the bylaws.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I would like to read what is specified in those bylaws.

I wouldn't know. My guess might be that it would be very loosely worded to allow something quick to be done and actions taken in emergency situations without the need to consult.

51 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Certainly understand the sensitive nature of this subject.  Don't know how BOA and or WGI is structured with regards to these issues. (great discussion) However if either has policies in place that stipulate how they are handled, it may be a model to mirror. That's if DCI member corps agree to expand the arm of authority of DCI. 

WGI and BOA will operate the same as DCI. anytime there is a conflict in WGI even between competitors and loose rules often they refer you to go back and let directors hash it out. AS with many loose rules often they suggest this or that and say they do not condone. 

Don' think for a second WGI and others haven't swept their own issues  with many subjects under the rug and unless you are in the thick of things many don't even know something existed

• Thanks 1

Ok, this made me just go and revisit RAMD. 90 minutes I will never get back.

• Haha 1