The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Relax cowboy. The speculation that the Cadets might be carrying debt here in April 2q018 is something shared by even some Cadeters with supposed inside info on this themselves.  The world is not coming to an end. I just posted this morning above that  the new YEA BOD chairman, Doug Rutherford told a reporter 48 hours ago that he is confident the Cadets 2018 Corps will you out on tour.  I said I believe him at this moment in time... and giving him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that YEA could be in some level of financial debt here in April 2018 is being reported... and publically too... on other social media by Cadeters, and around the water coolers. If that speculation had not caught up to you this morning, I have no issues with that. Maybe its a slow news day for you, or maybe the Cadeters are way off the mark on this too... all possible. But don't shoot the messenger here today ( me ) on speculating on what others are speculating on today. Relax, the DCI HQ will monitor these financials soon enough, and everybody will know one way or the other. But take your trigger finger away from your holster cowboy, as speculating as to why DCI is now looking inside YEA/ Cadets, coupled with what some Cadeters with inside knowledge are saying about POSSIBLE debt within YEA. Cadets here in April, 2018 is worth " speculating about " such things on as Drum Corps Discussion Board, imo

I read all of your posts, Brasso!  You know that!

And DCI's looking at Cadets' finances doesn't bolser, validate, add credence, or point to anything related to speculation about Cadets' debt.

Funny that you're saying I should steady myself in correcting you because there's speculation happening elsewhere.  You do see it, don't you?

I know that we all know that somebody is going to report that DCI has debt or not.  It may be when DCI prevents them from touring because they have excessive debt, it may be when or if Cadets' management decides to make a public accounting of their finances, and it may be when they file their 990 15 months from now. 

"Having debt" is not a point of worry as it might seem to some speculators (in other social media of course, not here :whistle:)

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wasn’t there a parting shot email from a person who resigned from USBands during the last marching band season?  I seem to remember reading it. 

Yes... although I am not sure it was posted on DCP. I believe it was on Reddit. It was a real flame thrower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

DCI, is a nothing-ness.  Vapor.  Almost entirely air.  It produces nothing itself except the organization of the summer tour and, to the extent permitted by the BoD, "promotion" of the activity.  Without the drum corps' existence, DCI is a big, fat nothing-burger.

Yes! But.

But that's a big exception in that final sentence.

DCI has long outlasted more than a few of its member corps that are now defunct.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Best reply yet on this, imo.... as it will speak with clarity and full transparancy as to where they are here in April, 2018, post George Hopkins/ former YEA Board.

I am sure the new board is just as eager to understand this as well. Seeing that we are just staring day 5 of the new regimen it may take a little bit to sort through all that is on their "to do" list.

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I Reddit somewhere...see what I did there?   

Thanks you. First chuckle of the day!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, since others on this thread are pointing out second and third party hearsay that's unfairly affecting others, I think it's time to stop saying "some are saying" or "I have heard", etc. Say what YOU think.  

Sure then... that seems a fair request to me. As such, I don't have a clue on whether or not (  even what some Cadet alums / donors are saying ) about the possible debt situation at YEA/ Cadets here in April 2018 is accurate or not. My reply above was initially to the DCP poster asking us why we think that DCI is  taking the rather unusual step to go and pour over the books and the financials now of YEA/ Cadets as part of their probation terms... DCI says its to be certain they are financially stable enough. Rutherford says they are. I stated above I believe him. I stated there are people stating there is financial debt there here in April 2018. Not sure if thats true, or not, nor if true, the levels of it.' Guess we'll find out soon enough with DCI HQ, audit of their financials. So that what I " think " at the moment on this, HockeyDad.

What do you think ? Do you think YEA/ Cadets are in some levels of current debt, or in good shape  financially here in April, 2018, HockeyDad  ? And why so  ?

Edited by BRASSO

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

.....pour over the books and the financials now of YEA/ Cadets as part of their probation terms...

Did ya mean pore?

So they are gonna pore over the books to see how poor they might be; people will pour a glass and watch with interest.

Sorry Brasso, couldn't resist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I know a little something about the financial health of the drum corps, all of them, and I can tell you that almost every, single corps in the activity is on "firmer ground" than DCI.  While I don't want to presume that you have a literal definition of "firmer ground", I'm not going to hold you to one because I think your general sense is wrong, not specifically your detailed understanding of DCI's finances.

Looking at the facts, this is debatable. DCI has net assets (assets minus liabilities) of $901,182 as of the end of 2016 per their 990. For example, one world class corps had net assets of of -$396,675 in 2016 per their 990 and a long-term pattern of deficits on their 990s. This is not the only DCI corps with negative net assets. 

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Really?  Who is speculating?  Other than you?  How about you man up and instead say, "I speculate that there is some level of financial debt."  Own your statements. 

Though this comment was directed at BRASSO, allow me to respond with one such example from within this thread:

On 4/13/2018 at 11:39 AM, George Dixon said:

There's a ton of nonsense in this thread. I have no idea where these "shaky finances" crap is coming from. They've literally just bought a $100K trailer for the sowing ladies and over last winter outfitted an entire new top-notch kitchen trailer. These aren't "broke" type of moves. The corps is FINE financially from the perspective of Cadets. They've never been flush with cash - due to their situation and IMO weak business management aka Hopkins. So compared to BD they are "shaky" but they will be fine and I'm hopeful they will pay down debt and build an emergency fund moving forward.Well, here is one such example from within this thread: