The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Regarding financial audits for non-profits (and perhaps for profits too)

when a change of leadership takes place, it is customary to have an audit, either in house or out of house. This should not raise any red flags. 

If the audit is because it is believed criminal wrongdoing has occurred, neither YEA not DCI can say all that much, so if they suspect payouts or financial crimes, we are not going to hear until after the audit has taken place unless GH is formally charged.

Most likely, the audit is to make sure the corps can tour, pure and simple. Later and more thorough audits would determine wrong doing. If something is obvious, that’s a different matter.

Edited by Tim K
Did not complete original post
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I was always intrigued with GH rants about how hard and long he worked and how little sleep he got. He posted a picture of his car being the only one in the garage at night. The first thing that came to mind was he really is trying to demonstrate to the board and alumni that no one but he would ever want his job. When in fact he knew nothing about time management, delegation or being a CEO. The problem never seen himself as the problem. 

Work for the military and if a boss or team lead complains about too much work or everything depends on them, they get told to delegate...... Delegate because it is GOOD FOR THE ORGANIZATION 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

Yeah that rings a bell with me too. It was bizarre. I remember inferring that he seemed to think employees were expected to forsake life outside of YEA. His job announcements would get copied or posted here too. Now I'd guess his comments then were motivated by jealousy/frustration at one that got away.

Yeah I read the announcement here while I was on vacation and using hotels business center lol. It was like a train wreck just couldn’t ignore it 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Work for the military and if a boss or team lead complains about too much work or everything depends on them, they get told to delegate...... Delegate because it is GOOD FOR THE ORGANIZATION 

Delegating is very hard for control freaks to do. And when they do it, they still want to micromanage. It leads to organizational dysfunction, lurching from one crisis to the next. Control freaks don't make good bosses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

Delegating is very hard for control freaks to do. And when they do it, they still want to micromanage. It leads to organizational dysfunction, lurching from one crisis to the next. Control freaks don't make good bosses.

Clearly. 

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Back in October of 2017 on Reddit I read the resignation letter from the director of USBands that stated YEA was nearly $1 million in debt and it is because GH didn't know how to use a simple budget. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/75djf0/the_truth_about_george_hopkins/

I don't doubt this reddit poster's point, but a closer look at the 2016 numbers he quoted tells a little more about "debt".  As of the time of the report's creation (Nov 13, 2017):

Total liabilities: $1,325,888

Made up of:

Accounts payable and accrued expenses: $617,980

Deferred Revenue: $293,111

Second Mortgages and notes payable to unrelated third parties: $124,797

Unsecured Notes and loans payable to unrelated third parties: $290,000

So, of the claimed "...million dollars in debt..." by the Reddit poster, only $414,797 is actual debt.  Accounts payable and Deferred revenue are cash flow items that are temporary components of liabilities, unlike true "debt", which is considered long term.  Interestingly, they reported just over $18,000 in interest expense, and just under $30,000 payment to Hop's daughter for guard and "AR" work which, I presume, stands for "Accounts Receivable" (maybe she made collection calls to members who still owed tour fees?).

Is roughly 7% debt ($414m) to gross revenue ($5.53mm) a big number?  Is it a lot of debt?

Well, for example, for the 2015 year, SCV paid $23,000 in interest on $777,000 in liabilities, and $4.586mm in revenue (3% debt to Gross Revenue)

In 2016, Crown paid $18,458 on $556m in liabilities (almost $500m of which is actual secured debt) and $2.404mm in revenue (7.6% D/GRev).

(There are lots of other examples.)

I'm not seeing the legitimacy of the claim either by the Reddit poster or other speculators that Cadets are carrying a lot of debt relative to other orgs like it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This thread is really jumping the shark

lots of guessing and supposition and few facts 

No.... on DCP??... guessing and supposition??? uninformed opinion with few facts????

/shockface

If the mods shut down every thread with guessing and supposition, all we'd be left with is... YEA job posting announcements... /no, wait

Add some facts. The financial discussions by people with background in 990s have been very interesting.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, one of the people I was referring to above. , ie an individual that as the former Director of USBands one would assume would have direct knowledge of the YEA financials at the time this was written ( Oct, 2017 ) is stating they are ( his words ) "  nearly 1 million in debt ". Was it true then ? Is it better, worse, now ? Well, thats why DCI HQ is conducting their own financial audit, and why it is not at all unusual for people both here and elsewhere to " speculate " on what DCI might/ will find. The rumor of such possible debt, heard in several quarters, has been out there for at least 6 months. The upcoming  DCI  HQ audit will determine what the true state of their financial situation is, and take all this out of the realm of mere speculation.

No, they're not.  Please source this quote that DCI "is conducting their own financial audit".

• Like 1