The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

"I do not agree with your business/financial model. YEA! is nearly $1 million in debt and it is because you do not know how to use a simple budget. USBands should have a budget, Performing Ensembles should have a budget. These are simple rules of business. Instead, we fly by the seat of our pants and have our travel credit cards declined while we are on travel because you can’t pay the bills."

If all of this is true, then it's plausible they don't have current financial statements, either, or Hopkins doesn't share them with senior management. If YEA! does have $1,000,000 in debt, what are their net assets? What is their revenue less expenses? There's simply not enough information to evaluate the situation fairly. 

I don't want to marginalize this person's post (presuming it's authentic) because I have heard from enough people familiar with the way YEA! accounts for things to say that I believe the contention is accurate.  IMO, George thought the world was always dog-eat-dog, where his sole responsibility was to sic the dogs on each other to protect himself from being bitten.

His narrow-mindedness about DCI's potential as the basis for his attempted G7 coup was all the proof that I needed.  George believed you could become profitable by killing your competition, IMO, but he didn't realize what he had when all the competition was dead.  A budget was the least of his worries, daily.

IMO

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You hold yourself up as some formidable whatever to me.. you flatter yourself too much... lol. I barely even think about your posts to the degree you apparently think of mine.. nor this " wilting " or whatever crazy thing you are peddling at the moment now as to what you think I'm doing. I am much more interested in the thoughts from people both here and elsewhere whose opinions and experiences in Corps over the years I trust and value. I can't help it if I don't include you in that company of those whose opinions/. thoughts I value. So do as you wish.. I don't care either way... lol.

Well, OK.  There you go.

You seek opinions that validate your own.

Now we know.

I won't reply; you've already assured it's not worth it.

But I will continue to correct the embellishments and fallacies you post here.  The subject is just TOO important to let your speculation be repeated enough to be believed.

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Let's remember, often speculation, inquisitive, curious etc etc can also be called gossip or conspiratory theorists and sometimes certainly with agenda but lacking in actual fact or source. Social media often is nothing more than that too. just look at the world today :blink:

Facts often get in the way sometimes..lol

True.. but organizations, people in high positions in these organizations, their enablers, lie or deceive, cover up,  a lot too. The good news is that in a free society, most of the time, the truth ultimately prevails, despite the agendas, the lies, the deceits, the enablings, the denials, the obfuscations, the cover ups. the fake news, the bogus rumors, etc  Most of the big stories of the last 20 years actually broke first on the secondary news outlets ,ie in the the much maligned" internet" .Not in the so called " mainstream outlets ". Look where the reporters are principally digging right now for '"the truth " in DCI Drum Corps . Its surely not DCI HQ, or YEA now, is it ?

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't want to marginalize this person's post (presuming it's authentic) because I have heard from enough people familiar with the way YEA! accounts for things to say that I believe the contention is accurate.  IMO, George thought the world was always dog-eat-dog, where his sole responsibility was to sic the dogs on each other to protect himself from being bitten.

His narrow-mindedness about DCI's potential as the basis for his attempted G7 coup was all the proof that I needed.  George believed you could become profitable by killing your competition, IMO, but he didn't realize what he had when all the competition was dead.  A budget was the least of his worries, daily.

IMO

It always struck me that there was a constant asking for money, one emergency crisis after another, as if he was looking in a corner of the room or inside a janitorial bucket for money somewhere, couldn't find it... so get online and plead. Correct me if I'm wrong... but I've never seen that pattern as standard practice from the other DCI World Class corps. They seem to have how they take in and spend money more well controlled and thought out so that they're not looking in the bucket like that. Would that be a corollary of not having a budget or sensible fiscal controls in place? Just askin'.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Let’s just say I trust what the exMarine told me about the medical condition which was the reason for leaving. They went to pick up the young person hoping to tell someone with Cadets they were sorry that #### happened like this. No one would talk to them and later found out the youth was being bashed and lied about. Told the exMarine about the current GH mess last week and got an eye roll in response. Either too classy to say what was on the mind or didn’t trust to respond. And yes not revealing gender of exmember or exMarine. 

What's an X marine have to do with it, doesn't mean there can't be another side to a story. Whatever the reason was legit or not, should someone had said something? sure. With people on reserve sometimes in these bigger corps there's no need to bash or lie about BUT one never knows. Always 2 sides. 

If there is more or has to do with the subject of the thread than that also can be another story.

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True.. but organizations, people in high positions in these organizations, their enablers, lie or deceive, cover up,  a lot too. The good news is that in a free society, most of the time, the truth ultimately prevails, despite the agendas, the lies, the deceits, the cover ups. the fake news, the bogus rumors, etc  Most of the big stories of the last 20 years actually broke first on the secondary news outlets,ie the much aligned" internet" not the so called " mainstream outlets ". Look where the reporters are digging right now. Its not DCI HQ, or YEA now, is it ?

Yes, it is true, you are quite right, there can be cover-ups all over the place in high places, All we have to do is look to any news outlet today to see it.

The internet can certainly expose BUT can also and most often be a breeding ground for nothing more than gossip, vendetta-driven, etc etc

The reason for this it can and does include most to inject drifting from a subject, personal agenda, opinion lacking or ignoring the facts, pettiness etc etc.

Yes, it is true people in high places are not immune to forms of corruption also.

As far as digging on this subject, it can be just the beginning and may include many more ( especially the who knew what when  or ignored ) and this will end up in several backyards.

Edited by GUARDLING

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, since you asked me..Some Cadets insiders are saying this ( I'll pm you on this ), not just " speculating " on it. On other social media, HockeyDad. I'm speculating they could be right.  ( maybe they're wrong too... its possible.. who knows )  My " speculation " also points to DCI, as terms of the probation, is rather unusually looking into the financials there as well, and wants assurances that their financials are in order. Those 2 things allows us as outsiders to " speculate " on this possible debt that may or may not be present. I'll " man up " and say I'm speculating on this ( as I am ), if that makes you happy though. HockeyDad.... lol.... 

I spoke to DCI and they are not in control of The Cadets.  They are on probation to make sure that they can financially tour this year and meet their commitments to DCI.  They will not dictate anything else to the new board nor get involved with any discussion that the corp makes or any other corp makes.  The Cadets are financially ok, They have a director in place and they are touring this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

It always struck me that there was a constant asking for money, one emergency crisis after another, as if he was looking in a corner of the room or inside a janitorial bucket for money somewhere, couldn't find it... so get online and plead. Correct me if I'm wrong... but I've never seen that pattern as standard practice from the other DCI World Class corps. They seem to have how they take in and spend money more well controlled and thought out so that they're not looking in the bucket like that. Would that be a corollary of not having a budget or sensible fiscal controls in place? Just askin'.

Having been on the Cadets mailing list, the  begging for money was nonstop. Can only imagine the bulk mailers expense. I could never figure out why it was more expensive to feed the Cadets vs another corps either. Are the Cadets meals different? Often wonder why parents didn’t ask for a refund on fees. Doesn’t tuition cover meals? If so, why not a refund for those meals that were paid for by donors? GH always held you up for a buck. 

• Like 1

Don’t want to side track but where are the two sides? The member had a medical problem that caused them to need to leave. The member went to staff and explained the problem honestly. When parents picked up the member staff refused to talk to them. Later corps members were saying the member left because he/she “wasn’t Cadets material” and not because of the medical issue. IOW the medical reason was BS. IIRC the member was getting crap from the corps “family” before they left. Would love to know what the Cadets side is. And why bring up parent an exMarine.... has to do with honor and being truthful which I believe the parent is after being around them for 15+ years

fyi the reddit link with throwing people under the bus reminded me

Edited by JimF-LowBari