The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, ebo said:

What they did was updated the original story and changed what she said.  You would have to be following it very closely to catch the change and know she changed what she originally said. This happened in 2008, Sean and her had a good working relationship. I think what it proves is that she now admits that Sean never saw the texts or emails so if it was addressed to him in a serious matter you could only assume that she would have showed him to convince him of the seriousness of her being uncomfortable.  She admits she didn't show him when before she did.   The fact that she recanted that he saw the emails and texts is in my opinion proof that Sean does not remember her ever coming to him.  

When did the updated story air?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Quote from the Reddit post:

"I do not agree with your business/financial model. YEA! is nearly $1 million in debt and it is because you do not know how to use a simple budget. USBands should have a budget, Performing Ensembles should have a budget. These are simple rules of business. Instead, we fly by the seat of our pants and have our travel credit cards declined while we are on travel because you can’t pay the bills."

Things like that are why DCI wants to see the books.

Sheesh...if true then the old YEA BOD was paying a lot of money to Hopkins ($177,000 per year) and getting nothing for it. Seriously.  The guy apparently couldn't manage a budget, had no clue how to delegate and let his staff do their job, was alleged to have committed any number of crimes, and has now left The Cadets in a very difficult position. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ebo said:

What they did was updated the original story and changed what she said. 

Is there a link

Edited by Jim Schehr

1 hour ago, BigW said:

It always struck me that there was a constant asking for money, one emergency crisis after another, as if he was looking in a corner of the room or inside a janitorial bucket for money somewhere, couldn't find it... so get online and plead. Correct me if I'm wrong... but I've never seen that pattern as standard practice from the other DCI World Class corps. They seem to have how they take in and spend money more well controlled and thought out so that they're not looking in the bucket like that. Would that be a corollary of not having a budget or sensible fiscal controls in place? Just askin'.

I said that about 100 pages ago.  I gave $25 dollars once and it seemed to get me onto the  YEA emergency of the month email club.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, ebo said:

What they did was updated the original story and changed what she said.  You would have to be following it very closely to catch the change and know she changed what she originally said. This happened in 2008, Sean and her had a good working relationship. I think what it proves is that she now admits that Sean never saw the texts or emails so if it was addressed to him in a serious matter you could only assume that she would have showed him to convince him of the seriousness of her being uncomfortable.  She admits she didn't show him when before she did.   The fact that she recanted that he saw the emails and texts is in my opinion proof that Sean does not remember her ever coming to him.  

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused by the way you're describing what happened. And I can't seem to locate any articles online or links to what you're saying for corroboration.

Has the paper who originally published the story stated that she changed her story?

Did she herself come forward and state (on the record) that she changed her story?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I don't want to marginalize this person's post (presuming it's authentic) because I have heard from enough people familiar with the way YEA! accounts for things to say that I believe the contention is accurate.  IMO, George thought the world was always dog-eat-dog, where his sole responsibility was to sic the dogs on each other to protect himself from being bitten.

His narrow-mindedness about DCI's potential as the basis for his attempted G7 coup was all the proof that I needed.  George believed you could become profitable by killing your competition, IMO, but he didn't realize what he had when all the competition was dead.  A budget was the least of his worries, daily.

IMO

Killing the competition in band works worked out so well Cavalcade and TOB have been growing for several years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ebo said:

I did not see any new updates.  Which outlet updated it?

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I had a discussion with a C2 parent about tuition. I had heard it was 1500 dollars, she corrected me down from that. I then asked about various fees.... she went on with several fees, which I added up in my head. 150 dollar uniform fee for instance. I then said, with all of the fees you've mentioned... you're over 1300. Any more fees to get to the 1500 I heard? Everyone laughed.... she blushed and got quiet.

Along with that "more expensive" thought from Jim... Last I knew, C2 in DCA was about 1500 total. Other DCA corps ranged from about 450-800 a season that I knew of. I even asked about additional fees- and they grinned and said "NONE". They knew why I asked. It's a significant difference.

Their 8 day mini camp  in july might add some to it. But they cost quite a bit more than comparative DCA corps in that region. When you go to DCA corps far away from the Northeast some have high costs, but that is mostly for having to travel long distances to shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Sheesh...if true then the old YEA BOD was paying a lot of money to Hopkins ($177,000 per year) and getting nothing for it. Seriously.  The guy apparently couldn't manage a budget, had no clue how to delegate and let his staff do their job, was alleged to have committed any number of crimes, and has now left The Cadets in a very difficult position. 

You’re making the mistake of assuming the old BOD was making decisions and overseeing Hopkins in a real way. Not sure that was the case. 

We don’t really know if Cadets were left in a good financial position or not, so I believe the reviews underway now are valuable 

• Thanks 1