The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

I'm a member of several parent and volunteer Corps groups on Facebook and naturally follow several Corps pages. So, imagine my surprise when this page popped up as a suggestion of one to follow.  Needless to say, I probably won't. And a quick perusal of the comments indicates most aren't supportive. I wonder how long this page will stay up and it's real reason for existence.

https://m.facebook.com/supportgeorgehopkins/

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

That whole quote from ebo reminded me too much of Kenton's "Monotony".

Why is everyone giving crap to ebo for making that "over and over" post when all he/she did was merely restate the same thing Liahona had just posted?  I agree that ebo's posts have been repetitive, slightly combative, and could be called tone deaf/tactless to the overall situation.  But having recently read the 2003 RAMD posts about Stuart Rice, the last couple days have looked entirely like deja vu, with everyone here ganging up on ebo in the same way many of the same people ganged up on Stuart Rice back in 2003.   If you don't like ebo, put him on ignore and stop responding, but this whole thread has acquired a very distasteful meanness to it lately.

[Edit:   Although I quoted BigW because his post triggered by first sentence, he wasn't exactly who I was thinking of for the rest of the post.   Sorry, BigW]

Edited by Eleran
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

Christy leaving was just a matter of time, but that's a huge loss. I would imagine thats going to make some kids rethink where they go to tryout this coming week. How do they fill that position 5 weeks before the season starts, and with a (somewhat) new show to design?

Very good thought. One thing the Cadets have going for them institutionally is their respected work ethic. They're just going to have to dig their way out using it. Hopefully they can bring in good design help that can come up with good solutions quickly as well. Those people are out there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eleran said:

Why is everyone giving crap to ebo for making that "over and over" post when all he/she did was merely restate the same thing Liahona had just posted?  I agree that ebo's posts have been repetitive, slightly combative, and could be called tone deaf/tactless to the overall situation.  But having recently read the 2003 RAMD posts about Stuart Rice, the last couple days have looked entirely like deja vu, with everyone here ganging up on ebo in the same way many of the same people ganged up on Stuart Rice back in 2003.   If you don't like ebo, put him on ignore and stop responding, but this whole thread has acquired a very distasteful meanness to it lately.

If I did that, I'd expect the rotten tomatoes to come flying as well as whatever anyone chose to hurl, and I'd deserve it.

5 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I'm a member of several parent and volunteer Corps groups on Facebook and naturally follow several Corps pages. So, imagine my surprise when this page popped up as a suggestion of one to follow.  Needless to say, I probably won't. And a quick perusal of the comments indicates most aren't supportive. I wonder how long this page will stay up and it's real reason for existence.

Well, it's been up there since the new first broke and it's gotten a whopping 24 Likes and less than 50 followers.

With thousands of kids "touched" by Cadets over the years, I'd say Hop is officially ignored now (until the lawsuit hits the courts, anyway).

7 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Thought there were 71 likes so checked the list of names. Most have the POed looking face icon and not the thumb up

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:
  • Even though most corps may have a POLICY that staff and admins are not allowed to have romantic/sexual relationships with corps members, we must remember that providing this encounter was consensual and the girl/guy was 18 or over, then it's perfectly legal.  Very inappropriate...but legal.  Dan had to be careful about how he proceeded, and with no proof and no contact info for the accusers there is not much he can do. 

And that's one of the failing of some corps - not willing to have a bright-line policy at all, or not willing to enforce it to the letter, even in those cases where it seems everything is above-board and consensual.   Probably the most innocent problem:  two members are dating, but one's an age out and the other still has a year left.  When the corps wants the age-out to come back as a tech the following season, what do they do?  I personally believe they should uphold the policy  -  one of the two needs to find a new home the next season.   But DCI people are mostly musicians, not managers, and they probably don't want to be that bad guy.   So instead, they turn a blind eye to it, or they have no policy to begin with.   And nothing necessarily goes wrong, so the status quo continues.  But then another staff member might feel that is implicit approval of hitting on members, and suddenly you have a problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

If I did that, I'd expect the rotten tomatoes to come flying as well as whatever anyone chose to hurl, and I'd deserve it.

I edited above to note that although I quoted you because your post was the most recent about ebo's "over and over", you were not really the motivator behind the remainder of my post.  Sorry. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, it's been up there since the new first broke and it's gotten a whopping 24 Likes and less than 50 followers.

With thousands of kids "touched" by Cadets over the years, I'd say Hop is officially ignored now (until the lawsuit hits the courts, anyway).

So -- why the page?  Created by a GH supporter or a troll/like-farmer trying to cash in on the recent activity?  Cashing in maybe the operative term. If a FB page could generate the activity this thread has, it could easily be sold off to someone who ditches the content, but still retains the likes and ranking.