The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

The thing is, there really is no way anyone can spin this to make GH look good.  Even if every one of the accusing women had utterly consented to each of the alleged actions, that would still be enough to demand his removal:  as a staff member having sex with a marching member, or as a director having sex with employees - the simple occurrence of those actions, without regard to consent, is enough to indicate that he was unfit to retain the position.

Like boss  or owner having relations with an employee, legal but not good for the organization.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I didn't go there. Afraid to look.

Same pic I’ve seen in some news articles. GH in front of corps with facial close up. GH looks worn out or .... stopping there...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, camel lips said:

I'm sorry. But you get a phone call that GH is having sex with a corps member. Your going to remember it. Its not exactly the same thing as A Caption Head or instructor at a lower scoring Open Class corps had a affair with a corps member. This was George Hopkins. Possibly  the most polarizing Director of Drum and Bugle corps ever IMHO.  

I agree, which is why I did say "I just wish Dan would have remembered that conversation better..."  I will let Dan speak for himself on this.  It definitely doesn't look good, but what evidence was given? Did Stuart give Dan a phone number, email, some way to contact the accuser?  Did he contact YEA board members?  I do not know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

Wow. Never thought of that. But, to use that as the topic in an effort to make money? It's kinda evil.

True, but some folks just don't care how they make a buck.  Probably have very little idea about GH other than he's a hot topic at this moment.

I guess I'd rather think of the page owner as that than a true believer.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh I'm with you. I looked up the old post....and the few that followed. We all told him to go to the proper authorities. Stuart, who should have known better, wanted to act like so many that DCI is monolithic institution that oversees all

If you go on the "about" page of DCI is says towards the bottom of the page. 

Mutual Care and Respect: DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention, and appreciation; and seeks these traits in others with whom it engages  

I would think the if DCI is wanting Mutual Care and Respect and seeking those traits in others with whom they are engaging.. that its mission is much deeper than setting a world stage for the marching arts. Its a Age 13-22 Activity for DCI so they do have some responsibility for the youth involved in the activity regardless if they want to say that corps need to police themselves. 

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree, which is why I did say "I just wish Dan would have remembered that conversation better..."  I will let Dan speak for himself on this.  It definitely doesn't look good, but what evidence was given? Did Stuart give Dan a phone number, email, some way to contact the accuser?  Did he contact YEA board members?  I do not know. 

IDK either. And not accusing anyone of anything. Seriously STU was no stranger to the marching arts and in 2003 if Dan needed to follow up with Stu he would have been really easy to find even if he had not left contact information. 

Im pretty sure in 2003 if I had read the RAMD thread about GH I would NOT have forgotten it. Had STU called me in 2003 and told me that GH was sleeping with membership..I would have darn well remembered it. But that's me. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Christy leaving was just a matter of time, but that's a huge loss. I would imagine thats going to make some kids rethink where they go to tryout this coming week. How do they fill that position 5 weeks before the season starts, and with a (somewhat) new show to design?

In the scheme of the guard world, if members want to be there they will. There are those who marched because of 1 person BUT many who didn't because of 1 person. Time will tell I suppose

17 minutes ago, Eleran said:

The thing is, there really is no way anyone can spin this to make GH look good.  Even if every one of the accusing women had utterly consented to each of the alleged actions, that would still be enough to demand his removal:  as a staff member having sex with a marching member, or as a director having sex with employees - the simple occurrence of those actions, without regard to consent, is enough to indicate that he was unfit to retain the position.

IN a nutshell he basically tried to put the same spin on it that some people have tried to put on it here that he is being framed by The Cadets Alumni that wanted GH out and it was all a lie. He said he had proof that at least one of the women was lying about it. I thought for a second that maybe this guy was some sort of paid person by Hopkins media or something to proactive to rally for his public imagine but we have a lot of good friends and common   and by all accounts he appears to be a stand up guy. I think he is just a GH supporter that believes what he strongly believes in. I won't slight a man that has strong beliefs even if I don't agree with him. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Eleran said:

And that's one of the failing of some corps - not willing to have a bright-line policy at all, or not willing to enforce it to the letter, even in those cases where it seems everything is above-board and consensual.   Probably the most innocent problem:  two members are dating, but one's an age out and the other still has a year left.  When the corps wants the age-out to come back as a tech the following season, what do they do?  I personally believe they should uphold the policy  -  one of the two needs to find a new home the next season.   But DCI people are mostly musicians, not managers, and they probably don't want to be that bad guy.   So instead, they turn a blind eye to it, or they have no policy to begin with.   And nothing necessarily goes wrong, so the status quo continues.  But then another staff member might feel that is implicit approval of hitting on members, and suddenly you have a problem.

Totally agree with you here. It's a fine line. Some colleges allow it, others do not.  I can't think of any drum corps that will allow it now.