The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

56 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Christy leaving was just a matter of time, but that's a huge loss. I would imagine thats going to make some kids rethink where they go to tryout this coming week. How do they fill that position 5 weeks before the season starts, and with a (somewhat) new show to design?

I feel for her. But I could not imagine her staying there. If for no other reason the constant sneers and looks she would get at every competition. It would be a huge distraction in the warm up areas people coming by and pointing fingers saying that's Hops Girlfriend. 

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

In the scheme of the guard world, if members want to be there they will. There are those who marched because of 1 person BUT many who didn't because of 1 person. Time will tell I suppose

I can't imagine a huge revolt. I know Guard and Drum folks are a bit Cliques though and march to a different beat. So its anyones guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Having finally read the Stuart Rice claims what I came away with was this:

• He says he spoke with Dan at DCI and mentioned that he had "heard" that a staff member was sleeping with a student. 
  • Then he called again and says he was more specific that it was Hopkins of the Cadets who was sleeping with a student.
  • In each case he said he "heard" these claims but had no proof. He did not provide names of the accusers, nor did he provide contact info for Dan to follow up.
  • The accusation he clearly mentioned is "having sex with..."  Not sexual abuse, rape, or other charges.
  • Even though most corps may have a POLICY that staff and admins are not allowed to have romantic/sexual relationships with corps members, we must remember that providing this encounter was consensual and the girl/guy was 18 or over, then it's perfectly legal.  Very inappropriate...but legal.  Dan had to be careful about how he proceeded, and with no proof and no contact info for the accusers there is not much he can do. 
  • As much as I want to see justice served (and in my heart I believe these young ladies who have accused Hopkins), I feel Stuart is trying to stir the pot more so than is needed. He didn't offer us anything back in the days on RAMD, and he didn't offer anything credible to Dan A when he called him.  And why did he NOT call the YEA board?  
  • All of this is unfortunate because in hindsight Stuart Rice -- who I always felt was a super smart guy even when I disagreed with him -- probably heard a very true story, but with no evidence and no accusers willing to talk it simply had no legs.  I believe he was trying to do the right thing and I commend him for that, but DCI needed more.  Stuart is a good guy but I am not sure where all of this goes from here.

I still side with Dan A on this one. I just wish Dan would have remembered that conversation better, but in fairness he gets so many calls about inappropriate behavior or other complaints that it has to be difficult to remember all of them.  And we must remember that the accusation was that "Hopkins was having sex with a student."  Not, Hopkins is having sex with a minor, or Hopkins is raping or molesting or sexually mistreating women of his corps. 

agreed. Given what a lightning rod Hopkins was, can you imagine how many calls Dan got about him for any number of things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

So -- why the page?  Created by a GH supporter or a troll/like-farmer trying to cash in on the recent activity?  Cashing in maybe the operative term. If a FB page could generate the activity this thread has, it could easily be sold off to someone who ditches the content, but still retains the likes and ranking. 

more like a misguided pre-emptive strike to stem the loss of blood when it hit the news

Wait. There are still GH supporters out there?  Wow. What a country. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree, which is why I did say "I just wish Dan would have remembered that conversation better..."  I will let Dan speak for himself on this.  It definitely doesn't look good, but what evidence was given? Did Stuart give Dan a phone number, email, some way to contact the accuser?  Did he contact YEA board members?  I do not know. 

right. So let's imagine Dan gets this call. He has no solid info to go off of, just " I heard".

So then he calls George. "Hop it's Dan. one of the RAMD guys called me saying you're having sex with the kids. is this true?"

Yeah like that would have accomplished anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, camel lips said:

If you go on the "about" page of DCI is says towards the bottom of the page. 

Mutual Care and Respect: DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention, and appreciation; and seeks these traits in others with whom it engages  

I would think the if DCI is wanting Mutual Care and Respect and seeking those traits in others with whom they are engaging.. that its mission is much deeper than setting a world stage for the marching arts. Its a Age 13-22 Activity for DCI so they do have some responsibility for the youth involved in the activity regardless if they want to say that corps need to police themselves. 

and without specific information to use other than third party "hey I heard....." rumors...what exactly was Dan to do? As I said in my last post, Call Hop and say " is it true you're sleeping with kids? I heard it from a third party who heard it from a third party."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Still have people claiming Jerry Sandusky was framed after 40 or so guilty verdicts....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hey, the Menendez brothers found a couple of chicks to marry them in prison.  The Parkland shooter receives love letters.  Things like this are why I want to be the one to colonize the moon. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1