The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Let’s nitpick everything to death 

guess what? Rome wasn’t built in a day, YEA won’t turn into Sytem Blue in five minutes and Hopkins won’t be erased from the internet instantly

There is no doubt a very long to do list, if we get months down the road and all the obvious basics aren’t handed I’d be surprised and then we can nitpick 

JMO 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

Yes, but the back office staff isn't huge.  And they are probably trying to keep tour going, keep USBANDS moving forward, and whatever other day to day objectives they have.  Additionally, I'm sure that some are involved in the "righting the ship" that needs to happen.  And while those people are doing that, someone would need to cover the "day jobs" of those people.  So, while yes, there is staff, and the show much go on, I think right now, they have better things to do with their time than cleanup YouTube.  It's probably on the long list of to-dos somewhere.  

I understand that the administrative staff is small and move in is only weeks away, but it needs to be on the short list of must do’s, unless you want GH to be the public face of the Cadets. Closing the current account would not take long, and a tech savvy volunteer could do the editing. Starting a new account is easy enough too. We can easily forget, lots of people watch these videos, including parents and potential donors and this may be where they get their information. We may also think they follow DCP, and Reddit too, but both are very small portions of the drum corps community. You and I may watch these videos, see GH and put it in perspective, and know YEA and Cadets is working tirelessly to correct things, but to others, it could look as if GH’s removal was only cosmetic and keeping videos front and center, especially if any include GH and accusers, could look callous and as if no one cares. I do speak about this from experience. Actions are always more important than appearances, but appearances matter too.

This is an area where other organizations who have had to deal with issues regarding sex abuse and harassment can be of help as far as advising is concerned, and perhaps this has happened. Of course there could also another road block: The account could be Cadets, but GH could be the owner of the account. In that case, doing anything will be problematic and I have no idea what the solution would be. 

• Like 2

Well, as relates to purging GH stuff from websites etc., there is some precedent. The Joe Paterno statue outside Beaver Stadium was removed in 2012 and replaced with some trees. It remains removed to this day. As the whole thing unraveled in November 2011, there was some time lag involved before the statue was removed. This speaks to George D's point that things will take a little time. However the precedent is clear, and clearing away GH remembrances is needed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Considering how much the old CEO and Director controlled absolutely everything I would expect every element of their operations to be in serious flux.

yeah i would imagine soon the Bobs will be called in to review everything

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Have you been there since this all started? They will get to it. Staff have bigger issues to deal with right now.

ok deep breath. I understand that. But.....there's a PR image to consider here, and anything and everything with his name out there should be dealt with fast. The Board can deal with the big picture issues, but the longer his name is in the public eye tied to the group, the worse it looks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok deep breath. I understand that. But.....there's a PR image to consider here, and anything and everything with his name out there should be dealt with fast. The Board can deal with the big picture issues, but the longer his name is in the public eye tied to the group, the worse it looks.

Not in disagreement... all in due time.

• Like 1