The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

I don't know what is more astounding, the poor judgement of taking that risk, the moral wrongness of it, or the stupidity of putting it in writing in an email.

All three are damning in and of themselves. At one time years ago when I was desperate for work, I seriously thought about working there and saw everyone I knew leave within one year. I knew better then that I was better off loading trucks. Evidently the word on the street became bad enough about working there that he couldn't get more fodder for the meat grinder. No surprise.

8 minutes ago, afd said:

This difference is Cosby is accused of drugging his victims. Not making any light at the crimes GH did but legally it’s a big difference. 

One of the incidents with YEA staff member in 2008(?) strongly hints of drugging

Here is link - http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/cadets-sexual-harassment-drum-corps-george-hopkins-rape-20180411.html

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
link added
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, afd said:

This difference is Cosby is accused of drugging his victims. Not making any light at the crimes GH did but legally it’s a big difference. 

Except that one of his victims in one of the first published Philly Inquirer stories said she believed she was drugged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don't know what is more astounding, the poor judgement of taking that risk, the moral wrongness of it, or the stupidity of putting it in writing in an email.

They were still doing them in 2013 and 14.  Jim paid for his own background check to volunteer. 

50 minutes ago, afd said:

That is what I was thinking. No doubt he's consulting attorneys about his next step and if was indeed fired whether he will or could file a lawsuit for wrongful termination. This could be a huge headache for the organization and a big expense for them if they do have to litigate this even for a settlement.

Yes, the YEA board certainly has to be careful here to avoid providing grounds that GH could use to sue for defamation, wrongful termination or similar. I am sure they are being advised by their counsel to toe the line in their public statements. 

20 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Whoa please keep up up to date on this one. What promises were made to membersand parents to keep marchers safe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, afd said:

What are you talking about? 

Your seemingly delightful wringing of the hands over possible financial malfeasance.  To me, yes, that's something that's not right and very reprehensible if that's found to be true. But the real issue here is the abuse and rape charges. They outweigh anything to do with the misuse  money by a long, long shot. Money can be raised, found, whatever. The damage done to the victims lives' is worth far more than any sum of money or misuse of it. Just my very serious thoughts and concerns about where you seemed to be going.

• Like 2

Listen I’m a lawyer who did criminal work. I’m not protecting GH at all. He’s a creep. What I’m stating these situations are hard to prove. What I’ve read is there is no active criminal investigation going on. Maybe that will change I have no idea. But don’t attrack me for stating that this is not any easy fix. I’m just stating what legal ramifications may happen and what the cost it could be. He had soooo much power in this organization that is so shocking and never should have happened. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, afd said:

Listen I’m a lawyer who did criminal work. I’m not protecting GH at all. He’s a creep. What I’m stating these situations are hard to prove. What I’ve read is there is no active criminal investigation going on. Maybe that will change I have no idea. But don’t attrack me for stating that this is not any easy fix. I’m just stating what legal ramifications may happen and what the cost it could be. He had soooo much power in this organization that is so shocking and never should have happened. 

Counselor - A process question:  Would it be typical for the police to investigate for a while before they bring the DA into the loop, or is the DA in from the get-go on these types of investigations?