The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I get that.  I am trying to find an analogy that fits;  Google tried, but most would seem offensive to one group or another.

Let me try this:  Drum Corps from this time forward will be different than it has been in the past because of these accusations.  Just like it seems to be happening in the entertainment industry.  And it will take some time before all the impacts to the activity are known.

Is that better?

Absolutely.  I think we will come back a more healthy activity because we’ve dealt with this in a responsible manner.  :14_relaxed:

Edited by Terri Schehr

Analogizing is not equating.  It's a completely different thing.  And it is entirely reasonable, common and normal to use extreme examples that everyone is familiar with to make a point about something less extreme.  In no way does an analogy suggest that everything, or even most things, about the two concepts being compared are the same.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Analogizing is not equating.  It's a completely different thing.  And it is entirely reasonable, common and normal to use extreme examples that everyone is familiar with to make a point about something less extreme.  In no way does an analogy suggest that everything, or even most things, about the two concepts being compared are the same.  

I respectfully disagree.  

• a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects.

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I get that.  I am trying to find an analogy that fits;  Google tried, but most would seem offensive to one group or another.

Let me try this:  Drum Corps from this time forward will be different than it has been in the past because of these accusations.  Just like it seems to be happening in the entertainment industry.  And it will take some time before all the impacts to the activity are known.

Is that better?

Yes; the Weinstine/Spacey/Hollywood situation, or the Cosby situation, or even the Lance Armstrong doping situation with the Tour de France, are akin to the GH/Cadets/DCI situation; a cultural change within a sub-culture that does not deal with a multitude/thousands of deaths and global war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is that better?

How about we call it the Harvey Weinstein of drum corps. A powerful person in the industry taken down by years of his own indiscretions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes; the Weinstine/Spacey/Hollywood situation, or the Cosby situation, or even the Lance Armstrong doping situation with the Tour de France, are akin to the GH/Cadets/DCI situation; a cultural change within a sub-culture that does not deal with a multitude/thousands of deaths and global war.

At least Lance was on an even playing field...the entire frigging peloton was doping...he is a genetic freak who was blessed with a huge engine to begin with and whose body also adapted to the EPO better.  Not sure about the French hating Hop but then again they hate everyone on principal alone.  Then they elect a president who shagged and later married his teacher.  Maybe there was this Hop-Lance-Macron conspiracy all along and 2006 was an homage to Cosby.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is that better?

Related image

42 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I respectfully disagree.  

• a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects.

But see, it is entirely possible to be comparable in significant respects without being equatable in most or all respects.  

I appreciate the respectfulness of your disagreement, though.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Was it an analogy that caused her pain, or the fact that someone wrote on her head?

Maybe it was the same student that did both..... I don't know.