The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

38 minutes ago, baristeve said:

If the board of the cadets could not stop this from happening then maybe they should stop being a drum corps.

Or, how about they just replace the BoD?

The BoD failing to act like fiduciaries is not a reason to "stop being a drum corps".

It's appropriate to separate out governance, executive, and staff functions, IMO.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Could you be more specific? Stop what exactly?

Stop talking about, e.g., Cadets' decision not to tour to the west coast this summer?

Stop linking to a reporter's tweets when she has an update on this story, e.g., about Hopkins having returned a company car and laptop?

Speaking of more specific what is meant by "dog in the fight? Cadets or GH specifically, been a victim, been involved in stopping, family member victim, just sickened in general?

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, jsd said:

How many of you were directly affected by this alleged situation? How many of you were victims of this alleged situation? How many of you have a "dog in this fight"?

If your answer is, "not me", then just stop.

None of us know the details of the situation. All of the allegations could very well be true, and then, at that point, the law compels folks to act accordingly (but let us be clear...that does not make "the law" correct). At that point, maybe folks will feel like justice has been served.

Until then, stop with the piling on. 

And, just so we are clear, this post is from a BD honk who has a large level of dislike for the Cadets in general.

At the same time, humanity is humanity. There are two sides to EVERY story, and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Stop piling on poor GH?  There are two sides to every story? Sure. We've heard Hopkins' side since about 1982. Now you don't want to hear the other side?  Yeah. Whatever. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Stop piling on poor GH?  There are two sides to every story? Sure. We've heard Hopkins' side since about 1982. Now you don't want to hear the other side?  Yeah. Whatever. 

Yep GH said he did nothing wrong so we did hear his side of the story.... annnnd not finishing my thoughts

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep GH said he did nothing wrong so we did hear his side of the story.... annnnd not finishing my thoughts

I guess he told us.  Some people deserve the piling on. 

There will always be apologists for predatory behavior.  I’ve seen it my entire life. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess he told us.  Some people deserve the piling on. 

There will always be apologists for predatory behavior.  I’ve seen it my entire life. 

The one that makes me puke is pointing out all the good they did so they could never do anything evil. My usual response is Pogo the clown who worked with kids and who got his picture taken with First Lady Carter, real name John Wayne Gacy. And Messers Cosby, Jackson (alleged never proven) and Sandusky. Watching GH saga to see how it plays out. At least it’s not PSU and have to hear it every day, especially when the local paper broke the story and took crap for it.

ps just got link for DCW but haven’t had time to check. Anything in there?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, baristeve said:

If the board of the cadets could not stop this from happening then maybe they should stop being a drum corps.

Hopkins is gone and that board is gone, so it is hard to imagine any legitimate, non-malicious purpose that would serve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, baristeve said:

Sorry to disappoint you with the continued existence of the corps. Thanks for the hot take though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

ps just got link for DCA but haven’t had time to check. Anything in there?

Quite a thorough response, actually. What DCA's doing, explanation of what they can't do, etc. Really - Good statement.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The one that makes me puke is pointing out all the good they did so they could never do anything evil. My usual response is Pogo the clown who worked with kids and who got his picture taken with First Lady Carter, real name John Wayne Gacy. And Messers Cosby, Jackson (alleged never proven) and Sandusky. Watching GH saga to see how it plays out. At least it’s not PSU and have to hear it every day, especially when the local paper broke the story and took crap for it.

ps just got link for DCA but haven’t had time to check. Anything in there?

Yes, there is a statement from DCA, Jim:

http://dcacorps.org/a-note-from-the-president/

My guess is that they wanted to have something to say about what they're doing about the issue before they said anything at all. From what it looks like, DCA will get the same bi-weekly report that DCI will be getting from RAINN.