The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Quite a thorough response, actually. What DCA's doing, explanation of what they can't do, etc. Really - Good statement.

I thought the statement was fine as well, though my guess is someone will find something to dig for, but I don't see that as a bad thing, either.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:47 PM, cowtown said:

I'm curious 

a lot of people say this is the tip of the iceberg so how bad is the problem, what are the numbers and what are they really talking about?

are they saying that to try and mitigate the situation, act like an insider or because it's a huge problem? 

In the past 35 years plus, I've known of three issues (one unconfirmed);  Hoppy, the other guy no longer in DCI that we all know about but can't talk about (which I found out about because of the Hoppy thing), then way back in the early 80s a top staffer didn't return from a corps, no explanation from staff just gone. There were rumors in the corps that he dated and age out and got bounced so at least that corps in the 80's didn't put up with it

so let's put some numbers on this so I have a context

Sent you a PM 

1 hour ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Quite a thorough response, actually. What DCA's doing, explanation of what they can't do, etc. Really - Good statement.

Sorry I meant DCW but spellchecker changed and I missed the change

edit: took a quick look and few pages on DCI discussing it at the January meeting and all I noticed. Maybe events kicked in before Steve V could get in or waiting until things are clearer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

41 minutes ago, BigW said:

It's okay- I think people have been waiting for DCA to say something- and there it is for those who've been wanting to see something.

Yeah I can see why my screw up made sense. Get a smart phone (finally) and it makes you look dumb when you use it lol 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry I meant DCW but spellchecker changed and I missed the change

edit: took a quick look and few pages on DCI discussing it at the January meeting and all I noticed. Maybe events kicked in before Steve V could get in or waiting until things are clearer.

If DCW is like it used to be, it only comes out once every month at this point in the season, maybe every 2 weeks at best?

14 hours ago, jsd said:

How many of you were directly affected by this alleged situation? How many of you were victims of this alleged situation? How many of you have a "dog in this fight"?

If your answer is, "not me", then just stop.

None of us know the details of the situation. All of the allegations could very well be true, and then, at that point, the law compels folks to act accordingly (but let us be clear...that does not make "the law" correct). At that point, maybe folks will feel like justice has been served.

Until then, stop with the piling on. 

And, just so we are clear, this post is from a BD honk who has a large level of dislike for the Cadets in general.

At the same time, humanity is humanity. There are two sides to EVERY story, and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Sweet. Heaven.

"The law" will not be deciding on the great majority of these assaults and other incidents of extreme sexual harassment which occurred past the statute of limitations. Does that mean in your mind that until there is a criminal conviction, GH is entitled to the benefit of the doubt, even from the court of public opinion? Would you be willing to take him at his word that he did nothing wrong, and that all of these incidents either never occurred or occurred but were consensual? In your mind, should he still be running the Cadets until "the law" at least indicts him? Because it would be true, would it not, that if even one of these incidents occurred as all those victims stated, he would not be qualified. Would you allow your daughter to march in Cadets if he were running the corps, pending at least a criminal indictment?

You might want to go back to the post early in the thread from hostrauser which calculated the mathematical chance that this many victims, many of whom provided corroborating details to Philadelphia Inquirer journalist Patricia Nadolny, could have independently invented all this. Did you read her articles? Did you watch the victim interview in one of her articles and the other victim interview for local TV news?

Your post said nothing about his victims of sexual assault and extreme sexual harassment, but it's hard not to infer that you're inclined to at least question their honesty ("two sides to EVERY story"). There's only one sympathetic victim in your post:  George Hopkins.

Just Wow.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess he told us.  Some people deserve the piling on. 

There will always be apologists for predatory behavior.  I’ve seen it my entire life. 

i'm not apologizing for a thing I've said.

• Thanks 1