The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

6 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

or is GH being vindictive - who knows what he is up to in the back ground?

I highly doubt he is being talked to by very many in the activity at any level right now

Edited by mingusmonk

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. several schools have left USBAnds, or at least pulled back on involvement, despite the good things the new board has done so far. Just to be associated with the organization is too much for some. it will take time to rebuild some goodwill

Sad to hear... but can't blame these schools at the moment either, of course. These alleged incidents of sexual abuse took place over a period of more than 3 decades while GH was the Corps Director there at The Cadets and at YEA.. Any expectations from Drum Corps fans that  30 years of this can be fixed quickly by the new YEA Board/ Cadets/ Cadets2 is unreasonable. This repair work is going to take a long, long time, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I highly doubt he is being talked to by very many in the activity at any level right now

Agreed. Any authority he had, explicit or implied, has been vaporized. Regardless of organization or institution.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

Agreed. Any authority he had, explicit or implied, has been vaporized. Regardless of organization or institution.

and i cant see him doing things out of spite, because if found out it could blow up in his face

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How can anyone "blame Penn" for "overreacting"?  We all nodded our heads in agreement that we haven't seen the end of this, and that working their way back into the public trust will take time. So now this is an example of that. We all said we knew more repercussions were coming, so let's not feign disbelief when they do. Penn is doing what they feel they have to do. Don't be surprised if more things like this happen. Much as we would like the reset button to be pushed when Hopkins and the old BOD were flushed, others are taking a more cautious approach. Stop blaming them, those of you who are. 

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How can anyone "blame Penn" for "overreacting"?  We all nodded our heads in agreement that we haven't seen the end of this, and that working their way back into the public trust will take time. So now this is an example of that. We all said we knew more repercussions were coming, so let's not feign disbelief when they do. Penn is doing what they feel they have to do. Don't be surprised if more things like this happen. Much as we would like the reset button to be pushed when Hopkins and the old BOD were flushed, others are taking a more cautious approach. Stop blaming them, those of you who are. 

I didn't choose my words very carefully when I said they "overreacted." I completely understand why they did what they did. At some point, my hope is that people will stop holding the current Cadets responsible for the actions of one disturbed individual.

1 hour ago, dans said:

Penn University is an extremely liberal/leftist institution. This development is predictable knowing how they overreact to social issues.

I wasn't aware that sexual harassment and assault are SOCIAL issues.

I also wasn't aware that only people on the left have a problem with sexual harassment and assault and people on the right are fine with it.

I don't think that's the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

What is Penn afraid of at this point?  

My guess, from their perspective, there is not a lot of potential upside to hosting this ( Lord Knows, this Ivy League University doesn't need the dough from the stadium rental ), but a potential major fall out downside if things don't go well. Schools as Institutions are notoriously risk avoidance... and Sexual Abuse,/ Sexual Harrassment is currently a hot button issue on University campuses from coast to coast.  Put it all together, and this all seemed pretty inevitable some Schools would take this cautious position, imo. Can't blame them either, imo. Their fidciciary duties do not extend to YEA/ Cadets afterall.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3