The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

15 hours ago, BigW said:

Thanks!- still, the last thing they'd want to do is spin them. My guess is they're getting help as to what needs to be put in those reports and how to be accurate in what's reported.

Agreed... I can tell you that the new board and Mr. Rutherford will not be spinning anything. They are committed to transparency and blunt conversations about the pathway forward. It will not always be pretty but the end result should be a much stronger viable YEA, Cadets, Cadets 2 and the dance program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

This is a bummer, because that's a great stadium to watch drum corps in.  However, I won't miss the city itself.

This is also a curious decision, considering the fact the all the corps leadership that organized the plans is now GONE.  What is Penn afraid of at this point?  Or is there more to this decision than they are saying?

It sounds like from the article that the decision was made before the changes (like right after the story first broke). This is disappointing but at least they do mention they want the organization to succeed so the door may be open for return events in the future.

2 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Agreed... I can tell you that the new board and Mr. Rutherford will not be spinning anything. They are committed to transparency and blunt conversations about the pathway forward. It will not always be pretty but the end result should be a much stronger viable YEA, Cadets, Cadets 2 and the dance program.

And if that blunt conversation comes from DCI in the near future that they not tour this summer?  Until such time as either party says otherwise, that possibility is still out there as outlined in the letter from DCI.  I know, it's rhetorical but is still not resolved (at least publicly).

• Like 1

Wonder how many potential show sites are looking at what went on with GH and thinking “that #### could have happened on our site”. Yes been mentioned before but wonder if that went into Penns reason to back off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daave said:

And if that blunt conversation comes from DCI in the near future that they not tour this summer?  Until such time as either party says otherwise, that possibility is still out there as outlined in the letter from DCI.  I know, it's rhetorical but is still not resolved (at least publicly).

I am referring to blunt conversations the board is having. But to address your point... the new board is taking all the steps outlined and they corps is now planning for spring training. Once the new director is named publicly it will become clear the Cadets will most certainly be on the tour this year. The decision to forgo the West Coast was based on the additional costs at a time when there are additional costs for the investigative law firm, communications firm, RAIIN consulting fees for program development. I would not be surprised if all the work that YEA is going through will not end up benefiting DCI as a whole. It certainly would be somewhat of a silver lining to a very ugly cloud.

18 hours ago, baristeve said:

The board. The dates, nature, and number of assaults exhibit a culture of rape within the administration that was active at the time. 

The board is gone. And remember that the composition of the board changed over time. Some members of the board may have known and should face the music. Others probably did not. I work with non-profit board members all the time. Many of them have only perfunctory knowledge of the inner workings of the organizations on which they sit. That's a shame, but also commonplace.

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Penn cancels plans with Cadets drum corps following sexual misconduct allegations against director

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/penn-cadets-george-hopkins-sexual-misconduct-20180501.html

A shame, given the steps that Cadets/YEA and DCI have taken, but Cadets will have to weather a few knocks and move on.

30 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How can anyone "blame Penn" for "overreacting"?  We all nodded our heads in agreement that we haven't seen the end of this, and that working their way back into the public trust will take time. So now this is an example of that. We all said we knew more repercussions were coming, so let's not feign disbelief when they do. Penn is doing what they feel they have to do. Don't be surprised if more things like this happen. Much as we would like the reset button to be pushed when Hopkins and the old BOD were flushed, others are taking a more cautious approach. Stop blaming them, those of you who are. 

I can make up my own mind who to blame, thanks.

If Penn had such an incident occur with a professor of their own, would they refuse to teach all the students of that professor due to their "association", even after the professor is gone?  Would they shut their own school down so as to no longer be associated with themselves?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I am referring to blunt conversations the board is having. But to address your point... the new board is taking all the steps outlined and they corps is now planning for spring training. Once the new director is named publicly it will become clear the Cadets will most certainly be on the tour this year. The decision to forgo the West Coast was based on the additional costs at a time when there are additional costs for the investigative law firm, communications firm, RAIIN consulting fees for program development. I would not be surprised if all the work that YEA is going through will not end up benefiting DCI as a whole. It certainly would be somewhat of a silver lining to a very ugly cloud.

Given the overall circumstances and conditions of the DCI letter, the name of one individual carry's that sort of certainty?