The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, garfield said:

The camera was in the instrument room to attempt to catch non-band members who were slitting drum heads.

Facts matter.

It was wrong, but he was not doing what some people here are claiming.

Oh those darn drum heads keep jumping off those drums! What's next a bridge to sell?

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

He videotaped a place where it’s known kids change clothes. That’s bad enough

For the record, the kids were not permitted to use the instrument room to change clothes, so there was no expectation on his part that he was going to capture tape of girls undressing.

The kids were not punished for using the instrument room for changing clothes.

(And, no, I'm not being relative.)

10 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Oh those darn drum heads keep jumping off those drums! What's next a bridge to sell?

How about police reports of damaged instruments presented at trial?

2 hours ago, garfield said:

And, of course, MikeD, your attitude is contributing to the deviance in society, and you should be shunned as should the person whose rights you're trying to defend.

Brasso doesn't engage with me anymore because I call him out on his embellishments ("...shower..."?  WTH?), but he might listen to you.

The defense by a small cadre of people here on DCP ( very small, thankfully ) of an adult hire in DCI Corps that previously was found guilty by a Jury of his Peers of  the disgusting incident  of secretly videotaping a female minor in" a changing room" at school is enlightening, if but indeed sad and shameful. The fact that the incident reported was in fact in a " changing area " in the school, instead my comment above that I misstated " shower " seems to have the intent at getting others to focus on the rather insignificant detail of the location of his disgusting act, rather than on why he is was hired back into youth groups that practice, perform, tour in summer months in school settings and  away from their parents. They want to defend even NOW this hire despite the fact that within the last year when this background of his came to public light, he was let go by George Hopkins.... a sexual creep himself around females that allegedly has over 3 decades worth of multiple incidences of sexual abuse while involved in a Youth Activity. No wonder it took an outside group... the media... to get the ball rolling to reveal with how much further work DCI HQ and DCI Drum Corps needs to do to change attitudes, change hiring practices, change personnel in order to maximize safety for all. DCP indirectly serves an educational value purpose here these last 24-48 hours to illustrate how cavalier attitudes are still present in some quarters in DCI Corps, DCI Fandom, that makes its current troubles perhaps almost inevitable. Yesterday, there was even the hint of suggestion by a DCP poster that " don't be too sure " that sexual deviants with horrific uncovered behaviors before in DCI wont once again find their way back to DCI.... leaving the door open that perhaps George Hopkins himself could find his way back to DCI Drum Corps presumably after this all blows over. Such a nightmare thought scenario if it future occured would betray the very reason these 11 brave women came forth recently.

As we can readily see then, imo there remains lots of work ahead for DCI Corps, DCI HQ, to change the culture, change attitudes,  etc after we read some folks out and about digging in their heels attempting to defend the indefensible hires of people that broke laws, broke faith, with youth in the past and as a result really have no further business being found around youth in school settings after such incidents any longer, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Thank you for sharing

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

For the record, the kids were not permitted to use the instrument room to change clothes, so there was no expectation on his part that he was going to capture tape of girls undressing.

The kids were not punished for using the instrument room for changing clothes.

(And, no, I'm not being relative.)

And kids always listen (eyeroll)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

I was one step ahead of your accusation, Jim, but I knew it was coming

Doesn't change anything.

It should change one thing: perception. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

His marching in am all-age corps.  My days of reporting  lifetime registered sex offenders in drum corps are over however.   All you get is hard time. No good deed goes unpunished. 

So this was not a senior corps?  He was marching alongside minors?

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So this was not a senior corps?  He was marching alongside minors?

It was an all-age Corps.  There is no more senior corps.  This is not ancient news.  This was 2012.

He was on school property.  He was in DCI open class shows with the Colts Cadets. I believe he was marching with minors.  I think I heard that their parents were ok with their minor children marching with a lifetime registered sex offender. :blink:

Edited by Terri Schehr