The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 minutes ago, geluf said:

The reality is that Tresona is precisely what the music industry wants.  If it wasn't them, it would be someone else.  *Someone* would be filling that role right now.  We can direct our ire at Tresona because they're the ones who did, but we were never going to avoid a Tresona-like presence.

Given that you can't beat the system, you try to bring a rep of the system under your umbrella and work that way.  

true. However receiving calls from them, for something I have no part of, I did not appreciate their attempted strong arm tactics. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

true. However receiving calls from them, for something I have no part of, I did not appreciate their attempted strong arm tactics. 

Oh I'm not a fan of that aspect either, but lemons and lemonade and all that.

My guess is that if there was a group wanted changes at Cadets they had already asked people to consider joining the board.  I doubt that in a couple days they found, vetted and asked what appears to be qualified candidates to constitute a new board.  That is why I think they were able to act quickly.

43 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The ever-expanding Johns Hopkins. LOL. Bayview is now a huge complex.

And of course, the main JHH city campus is so big, it could be its own country.  :tongue:

That’s a no bleeper. Few times I was at that part of the complex I’d about tattoo my parking slot on my arm as I’d never see my car again if I forget where it was. Slot... floor... building... zip code...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daave said:

Never, in the history of calming down has anyone ever calmed down after being told to calm down.

:laughing:

Just a guess, things probably just have to calm down first.

Edited by BRASSO

14 minutes ago, geluf said:

Honestly the speed with which they filled the major board positions was remarkable, all things considered.  

I think it demonstrates that a board upheaval has been in the works since the news broke (maybe before?). Folks on DCP wanted the board TO BE OUT IMMEDIATELY - RIGHT NOW - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON - WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING. I think the organization did the right thing by waiting until the new board was in place to make any kind of statement about the previous board.

Also, this gives YEA a great opportunity to say, in essence, "the old board wrote the original tone deaf response (among other things) - we have a new approach now." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

As much as GH changed modern day drum corps he may be the one to have it die a quicker death! Parents and young people alike will see or hear about this and think twice about sending their kids to a drum corps. We MAY see an end to the activity we all love!

Maybe, but I doubt it. Despite the current focus here on the bad apple, and the bad apples that might surface in any further investigations on all this, its just as likely a stronger, healthier, even more prosperous DCI could emerge in the aftermath of this. It may take time, but there is still a demand out there for summer field competition, students who want increase their skills, participate in healthy competition, great and honorable instructors to teach, fans to come and watch, and donors who still want to support a youth activity that by and large does wonderful things for the young that makes them stronger, better people, and future citizens of the community/ nation. I wish I had a buck for every time over the years that  I've heard that this or that " could be the end of the Drum Corps activity". I could buy Bermuda now. Some unfamiliar with Drum Corps might see George Hopkins as what the Drum Corps activity is all about. That is of course regrettable, as he is not who we are. And future events , imo, will demonstrate that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

One has to think these changes didn't happen overnight...which is consistent with conversations I had at brass camp last weekend. Kudos to the Cadets for making changes that strengthen the organization moving forward. Changes are happening that I hoped would happen for years! I believe that the Cadets future looks very bright. FHNSAB is real! So excited to see the Cadets this summer.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s a no bleeper. Few times I was at that part of the complex I’d about tattoo my parking slot on my arm as I’d never see my car again if I forget where it was. Slot... floor... building... zip code...

The outpatient center there is something like two football fields long. You need a degree in forensics to find your way around. LOL