The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

The man Beyer said she confided in, Sean King, last week was named as Hopkins’ interim replacement.

...stunned if this is true.  OK, board of directors #2 out... time for panel #3!

Edited by JMS1995
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm still pessimistic that the organization will survive - just being realistic. But, this direction does give them a fighting chance to make it. This will be a battle fought by the leadership and new board, the performers will have no impact on that battle. Hopefully they can stay focused and put out a great show this year. It's very wise to do a financial review and make sure that a successful season is possible. It looks like they're doing things right. IMO, the biggest potential peril is that donations dry up. Not because alumni, I assume they're the greatest source of donations, don't support the organization, but if lawsuits happen people don't want to donate money to help pay off lawsuits, they want to support the corps. That's my analysis from the outside. Hope they make it, killing the current BoD is the best move I've seen so far.

How so?  Cadets have a long history which means lots of alumni and historically they have always donated very well.  In fact, I think this will encourage them to donate as well as bring more alumni and other Cadet fans out of the woodwork to support the corps.

Everyone likes to say this will kill the corps.  Remember, as every news article has stated, drum corps has a small following and eventually it will fade (but not forgotten).

There have been a few posts regarding whether Dan Acheson and HQ has the authority to do what it did, well since I do not know  the bylaws, charter, or whatever type of document DCI uses for governance by heart, I cannot say for certain. What I do know is DCI needed to take a leadership role, and it was wiser and quite frankly an example of good leadership to set up this plan of action with or without authority. It would then be up to the directors to complain, and the complaint would not be heard as a problem with procedure, it would be viewed in the court of public opinion as supporting an abuser. Also, what corps director is going to oppose a policy that says write a procure regarding safety and reporting and follow it,  make sure you’re sound fiscally, and have a compliance officer who reports to DCI? Just yesterday on Facebook, I saw two posts in my feed from corps directors. Both were family photos, one included a girl about the same age as the young women who mave made the accusations. These guys may think competitively when it comes to the field, but my hunch would be when it comes to matters such as this, they think men who have young people who call them “Dad.” Both of these corps directed by these men had policies in place prior to last Thursday. 

5 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

The man Beyer said she confided in, Sean King, last week was named as Hopkins’ interim replacement.

...stunned if this is true.  OK, board of directors #2 out... time for panel #3!

I can't see the article since apparently I've viewed too many free articles, but Sean King was put in place by either the old board or by GH.  While this definitely not good optics, his title is interim after all.  

6 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

How so?  Cadets have a long history which means lots of alumni and historically they have always donated very well.  In fact, I think this will encourage them to donate as well as bring more alumni and other Cadet fans out of the woodwork to support the corps.

Everyone likes to say this will kill the corps.  Remember, as every news article has stated, drum corps has a small following and eventually it will fade (but not forgotten).

Alumni donations have been diminishing for at least 20 years for one single readon