mingusmonk

The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 hours ago, BigW said:

IIRC, many comments over the years from knowledgeable people on DCP have stated his salary was in line with comparably sized/scaled non-profits. The trick SER is using is pretty typical. To the average bloke, it's a lot of money and appears excessive.

The one thing that's been stressed in some circles of late is that DCI World Class is no longer a "Mom and Pop" activity. You can't run one of these corps as a hobby. SER seems to be stuck in a nostalgic past. Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to the gritty realities and make it happen anyway. It might be interesting to see the salaries of the other Directors to get a feel for the truth here, but that's another thread, I guess.

JMO

1st we haven't been a Mom and Pop activity for decades now. The corps that realized this have succeeded competitively, many have made mistakes and ruled with just heat ( which is not bad ) but with no head.

With that said, Many of us come from a time when directors made nothing and a staff person, which were very few were lucky if they got paid BUT maybe got gas money. Corps also didn't have to pay much for a school or a rehearsal site, etc etc. To run a corps today on any scale requires an incredible amount of time and often without praise. Truly great and successful directors IMO get the money they deserve and wish it ran through the entire activity. Now if you are running a corps PLUS many other programs this even more difficult.

So just to add what you have said YES you are right, Nostalgia is great and even necessary BUT IMO not to run a corps of today on many fronts.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, garfield said:

Embellishment seems to be a hallmark of Mr. Rice's and I hope the reporter takes that into account when publishing his comments.

Another reason while I think Twitter is a waste of heartbeats. And snotty comments always makes someone more believable *sarcasm*

12 hours ago, garfield said:

"The good news is, even without the company car and expense account, likely millionaire George Hopkins has over 15,000 Facebook friends to couch surf. (Of course, that's called *sarcasm*.)"

-Stuart Evan Rice (source: https://twitter.com/SEvanRice/status/987040000930856961)

"...likely millionaire..."

So, now this has gone beyond GH simply being lecherous.  Now he's RICH and lecherous.

Director's Social class warfare in drum corps.  Great.  Thanks for that.

What's next, all directors must be poor and chaste to gain entry to the DCI competition field?

Fact: at a national savings rate of less than 5%, even if Hop paid himself $175,000/year for 30 years (didn't happen) he'd "likely" have accumulated about a quarter-million dollars, plus or minus.

Embellishment seems to be a hallmark of Mr. Rice's and I hope the reporter takes that into account when publishing his comments.

Well, I read Rice's argument there, flawed as he may be about the actual figures, as being not class warfare but pushback against anyone who says they feel sorry for Hopkins. His salary was three times the median for Pennsylvania, and now it will seem to some observers that he was being rewarded for being a monster.

Still, Aaron Sorkin hears you.

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I read Rice's argument there, flawed as he may be about the actual figures, as being not class warfare but pushback against anyone who says they feel sorry for Hopkins. His salary was three times the median for Pennsylvania, and now it will seem to some observers that he was being rewarded for being a monster.

Still, Aaron Sorkin hears you.

N.E. Brigand, my friend.

Challenges me to think.  Enjoys the joust.  Is honest with his heart.  Knows me.

16 months away from the Planet, and this is the first thread to which I see upon return.

Wow.  Just...wow.

• Like 2