Corps Responses to Inquirer Article

Can we start a thread with all of this information? I've seen a few corps releasing public statements such as Cascades, OC, and Blue Knights.

Cascades: https://www.seattlecascades.org/single-post/2018/04/06/Seattle-Cascades-Response-to-Philadelphia-Inquirer-Article

Oregon Crusaders: http://oregoncrusaders.org/response-inquirer-article

Ascend performing Arts (Blue Knights) https://ascendperformingarts.org/ascend-continues-focus-on-members-workplace-safety/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pacific Crest:

http://www.pacific-crest.org/2018/04/pacific-crest-statement/

Southwind (from their FB page):

Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps is, above all things, a youth organization. That means we take the safety and security of our members, staff and alumni very seriously.

That’s why Southwind has a stringent policy on harassment with well-defined guidelines on respectful ways to interact with one another. This includes conduct between members, between staff and members, and between our vendors and members.

Our policy is a zero-tolerance policy. Further, our policy is clearly explained at the beginning of every season with clear-cut rules how staff and board members are to interact with corps membership.

Employment with Southwind is contingent on fully understanding and agreeing to these rules. As an additional precaution, all staff members, board members, and volunteers must submit to a screening for any questionable past actions.

Drum corps is an extraordinarily rewarding experience for its members and staff alike, teaching both musical skills and self-reliance, lessons that serve its members and alumni for life. We believe that drum corps creates lifelong friendships based on mutual trust and shared experience.

We are proud of the safe and nurturing environment we create for our members, youth who come to us from all walks of life. And we look forward to continue creating a positive experience for future generations of performers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Troopers also made a post on their Facebook with a link to http://www.TroopersDrumCorps.org/membersafety

Here is their statement on facebook... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156356013892996&id=46584577995

• Like 1

It gives me great hope to read of the individual corps responses. This topic is painful and it is far easier to shut down all discussions than to acknowledge that abuse exists, and then finding ways to change the cult mentality. A great start would be:

Yearly background checks

A mandatory whistleblower web site 

Mandatory sexual harrassment training policies

Edited by Corps_Efan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corps_Efan said:

It gives me great hope to read of the individual corps responses. This topic is painful and it is far easier to shut down all discussions than to acknowledge that abuse exists, and then finding ways to change the cult mentality. A great start would be:

Yearly background checks

A mandatory whistleblower web site 

Mandatory sexual harrassment training policies

Of the three things you mention, all of which are important. I’m assuming the background checks mean criminal background checks which may already in place if for no other reason than insurance requirements. While some might argue they are limited, especially if a crime occurred in a state other than where the person lives and there is not a national sex offender registry unless it is prosecuted federally, and of course you have to be convicted, programs that teach people how to keep sex offenders away from children often cite studies that claim offenders do not risk background checks. In some cases you might be avoiding a problem before it happens. Sexual harassment training should be In place as well. I agree too with a whistleblower website in theory, but it has to be well organized and those involved who should not be associated with any corps need to know what is expected. My guess is colleges may have such sites available and would probably be happy to help. 

My thought is this year, drum corps will be the safest place for a young person. Every corps will be extra vigilant this year as often happens in the immediate aftermath of a scandal such as this, but it there has to be a long term commitment to the efforts. What I do think could happen is the current allegations will most likely bring other situations to the surface, some which happened years ago and some with disbanded corps and perpetrators who are dead. Helping survivors of abuse in drum corps could present different challenges than those schools, churches, scouting organizations and the like face which have stronger organizational structure, a central authority, and resources available. I do know that DCI is a governing board, it does not have direct authority over the individual corps, etc., but this could be an area where they could organize a group to address the issues unique to drum corps, and the efforts would be welcome and appreciated.

• Like 1

As a follow up to the DCI winter meetings, I'd imagine all the Corps are now revamping and shoring up their policies and procedures regarding this all important issue.. and the insistence on available institutional channels that are available so that noone should feel feel unsafe, intimidated,  and isolated as these women regrettably were ever again.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Missing in action so far: DCA. It's a much smaller organization than DCI, with, I believe, just one full-time staffperson (office manager?), but you'd think by now they'd have said something about the "all age" corps (whose membership has been largely under 21) that won their circuit just two years ago (and was third last year and second three years ago).

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Missing in action so far: DCA. It's a much smaller organization than DCI, with, I believe, just one full-time staffperson (office manager?), but you'd think by now they'd have said something about the "all age" corps (whose membership has been largely under 21) that won their circuit just two years ago (and was third last year and second three years ago).

Agreed, especially with YEA connected to them as well.