Corps Responses to Inquirer Article

Well, I don't see it here so here is OC's response.  I am just REELING from this news... haven't been paying much attention to DCI as of late and saw some postings on facebook about it just a few minutes ago.  Holy crap.  

http://oregoncrusaders.org/response-inquirer-article

• Like 1

From 7th Regiment's FB page:

On behalf of myself and the 7th Regiment Board of Directors, I would like to address the recent article in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

As a youth-centered organization, 7th Regiment has a responsibility to ensure that our members feel safe, confident,  comfortable, and supported. I would like to reassure you that the health, safety, and well-being of our members is our top priority and we are proud of the current policies we have in place to support this.

As we do each season, we will continue to review these policies to ensure that they are current, clear, and followed.

Your feedback, suggestions, and thoughts are important to me. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me.

Kevin Lowery
Director - 7th Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps
director@7thregiment.email

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Missing in action so far: DCA. It's a much smaller organization than DCI, with, I believe, just one full-time staffperson (office manager?), but you'd think by now they'd have said something about the "all age" corps (whose membership has been largely under 21) that won their circuit just two years ago (and was third last year and second three years ago).

Sunrisers:   

29261782_818486111672969_682389313810148

A statement from the Sunrisers-

The Sunrisers continue to focus on safety of our members, volunteers, instructors & administrative staff. 

As an organization, we will continue to do everything possible to ensure that our members, administrative, educational staff, and volunteers are able to enjoy all that we have to offer in a safe and appropriate environment. 

The Sunrisers are reviewing and updating our policies in order to to maintain the highest level of integrity. Specifically, the Sunrisers maintains a zero-tolerance policy regarding harassing or other improper behavior by its executive team, board, volunteers, staff and/or marching members.

This process we have undertaken includes updating or implementing a number of policies including our whistleblower policy, staff, volunteer, and member handbooks, criminal background check policy, and training requirements to provide more support to everyone involved in the organization.

For further information regarding these policies, please contact Director, David Hobart via email: dhobart1@gmail.com or phone- (917) 528-9340

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In response to insurance helping to drive organizations to do the right thing with background checks I agree. Was on church council in the 90s when we started checks. Sad part was we had to sell that idea to some people by saying the insurance cost would go down.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

In response to insurance helping to drive organizations to do the right thing with background checks I agree. Was on church council in the 90s when we started checks. Sad part was we had to sell that idea to some people by saying the insurance cost would go down.

I believe the expression “best practices” if not originated by insurance companies,  became closely associated with insurance companies. I was on a committee that had to preview sexual abuse prevention training programs. I saw about ten different programs and the expeesssion “best practices” was common to just about every program. The same held true for school safety programs. For better or worse, insurance costs often make us face up to the importance of safety, abuse prevention, sexual harassment, proper protocols in all sorts of areas. I understand where your church community was coming from regarding background checks. From teaching, to seminary training, and ministry, I have been employed by the Roman Catholic Church since 1982. In 2002 when the sexual abuse scandals that plagued the Church came to light, especially in a Boston, volunteers were insulted at having to fill out CORI forms and go through abuse prevention training, after all they didn’t do anything, non clergy employees were angry, and many priests were furious because they were not the offenders, which in the case of 95% of the clergy and 98% of lay employees was true. Today those protocols are in place and while vigilance is still necessary, there is a comfort in knowing everyone has been checked and trained. It becomes common practice and no one gives it a second thought.

Safe harbor and whistleblower policies are important.  A number of experiences I have read about (not limited to this one story) involve abuse by staff members that never got reported because the victims were afraid of retribution, of being cut, of being ostracized, and so forth.  

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Missing in action so far: DCA. It's a much smaller organization than DCI, with, I believe, just one full-time staffperson (office manager?), but you'd think by now they'd have said something about the "all age" corps (whose membership has been largely under 21) that won their circuit just two years ago (and was third last year and second three years ago).

Erie Thunderbirds have posted a response on their pages regarding policies and youth protection.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skevinp said:

Safe harbor and whistleblower policies are important.  A number of experiences I have read about (not limited to this one story) involve abuse by staff members that never got reported because the victims were afraid of retribution, of being cut, of being ostracized, and so forth.  

Work for Uncle Sam and get this training every year. Part of the training is how to report and who to report it to. And..... who to go to if you don’t trust who you are supposed to report the abuse.

• Like 1