Corps Responses to Inquirer Article

5 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

I'm very proud to say these commitments were the Southwind board's first priority when we got back home. Before the end of January, we had initiated a whistleblower reporting form and policy, and we strengthened measures we already had in place with firmer policies and created a Compliance Committee to follow through with reported incidents. We were already doing background checks on staff, so that was nothing new. We did expand our background checks to include all volunteers (and strengthened our volunteer policies along with them). Our corps director gathered everyone at our January camp and we had a serious talk with all of the members, parents and volunteers (and a separate, even more serious talk with the staff) so that they all were VERY clear on our policies. Everyone was required to sign off as having read and understood them as a requirement of their employment or member contract status.

Whether or not corps have made public statements, many corps already had a lot of these items either in place or in the works. I think there is a misconception out there that DCI boards are hands off or only care about the competitive aspects of the organization. My experience with the board members I've had the pleasure to meet the past few years at Consortium is the exact opposite - we are all passionate about bringing as many people as possible to the activity that we all love so well, and we are equally as passionate about protecting the youth we serve so that they can gain all of the benefits (work ethic, leadership skills, learning you can exceed your own expectations) that many of us were able to gain when we were their age as participating members and/or fans. Most of us try to work as a team across the activity because we want to see it thrive, sharing ideas and best practices with each other freely - and we leave the competition to the directors, the creative staff and the kids on the field.

Sorry that I'm posting a novel, but it's been on my mind.

This is how it should be done.  Congratulations!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freanz said:

Thank you. That one was mentioned way back on the first page and I overlooked it. (But I also didn't put BK in the no-announcement list.) Fixed.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Guardians have a page on their website regarding harassment (adapted from, and credit to, the wonderful resources Oregon Crusaders have developed), along with a whistleblower form. 

Mike

So they do: https://www.guardiansdbc.org/safety

Fixed.

(If I missed that before, I apologize. If they just added it, good for them.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Whether it's Boston or any other corps that "hasn't stepped up yet" Jim, I feel these announcements, no matter how sincere and how bad a corps feels about what's taking place recently, are just PR spin for parents and future mm.  "Hey, we better send out an announcement 'cause many other corps are doing it."  After reading part of the first announcement posted, that was all I needed since I felt the future ones would be very similar.  This past week or so has been tough for the activity and could get worse in the weeks ahead.  Maybe I'm just selfish enough that I only want to enjoy D&BC and not the behind the scenes activities.  Some, which have been going on "behind the scenes" for decades.

Let's be careful not to axiomatically use "PR" as a term of approbation. Relating information to the public is a good thing!

5 hours ago, OldBones said:

Each corps is handling this in their own way. I believe every group in DCI, DCA, Soundsport and WGI have policies in place. If not, shame on them. 

Raiders stand by not only the victims but with all alumni and current corps members as this tragedy unfolds. We have not placed a public statement here because we know the current members are reading all the comments, good and bad, which is, in my opinion, making it very hard for them.

Raiders have a strong harassment policy, and always had, and it is in each members, staff, admin and board contract.

We are now in the process of putting together a harassment hotline.

We also released a statement to everyone on our Alumni, Friends and Family mailing lists.

Thanks for this information. This whole thread was started (not by me) to note how each corps was responding to the news. After most of a week I decided it was time to collate all the information we had. I wasn't saying that corps should publish anything on DCP!

However, I do feel that a good drum corps sexual harassment policy would include having information on the corps' website, including clear reporting procedures, along the lines of what Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and several of the other groups in the first list have done. This only helps the corps demonstrated to staff, members, and potential members/parents that they are aware of how serious this issue. That said, it's not my call. Each corps, as you note, will deal with this in their own way. I'm mostly just reporting out what I learned.

I've updated the first list to include Raiders, based on the emailed statement you describe.

4 hours ago, c mor said:

Haven't heard from the Couchmen.

they were taking the issue in repose

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, c mor said:

Haven't heard from the Couchmen.

Rumors are that they will be asking around to see who wants to be on a 5 person committee to explore whether or not a much larger committee needs to be set up to look into what might need to be done, The asking around phase of this is expected to be completed no later than July 1st..... more or less.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Regarding Boston, their website still has the January camp report, which clearly states that a 60 minute meeting/training session was held for all members and staff focused on hazing, harassment, abuse, reporting chain, and what kind of atmosphere and level of excellence they are striving for on and off the field.  It is an unambiguous statement, and dated Jan 23, 2018. 

20 minutes ago, craiga said:

Regarding Boston, their website still has the January camp report, which clearly states that a 60 minute meeting/training session was held for all members and staff focused on hazing, harassment, abuse, reporting chain, and what kind of atmosphere and level of excellence they are striving for on and off the field.  It is an unambiguous statement, and dated Jan 23, 2018.

And here is the link to that report: https://bostoncrusaders.org/2018/01/january-production-camp-recap/

Thank you! This is why I asked for help. I knew I'd miss something in the course of scanning 59 different organizations' websites, Facebook pages, and Twitter feeds.

I have moved Boston to the first list.