YEA board resigns

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I responded to this...."So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   That sounds like you are referring to the new BOD.

Have you been reading all of the more recent information? You seem to be lagging behind  the current state of knowledge and ongoing activities. Nobody I have seen is downplaying what has happened at all. 

The new BOD  is doing an outstanding job.  They were handed a bucket of doodoo to deal with and they’ve gone right to work to clean up the mess. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Based on just information made public, I am more than satisfied with the efforts underway by the new BOD to recover from the damage done before they were seated. My hope is the new BOD will make decisions that lead to shoring up finances, by reducing expenses. The future of fundraising is unclear, particularly if more negative news comes forward at a later date. This whole "YEA business operation" might need a trimming, less expense exposure, etc. Whatever net asset growth occurs needs to be committed to the original mission . . . fielding a strong DCI participant. Through it all, I think Cadets will continue on for years to come. Wounded now, but nothing terminal.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Ok fine. The new Board may be wonderful.  I haven't seen them apologize for the old Board's initial statement.   But I still believe it's worth exposing to keep the new Board accountable to realizing that we don't want statements about how great a season this is going to be this year!  So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   

I you read the press release on yea.org you wil see the apology

there is no sweeping things under the rug as stated in another press release where they hired an law firm for a full investigation and another release which stares they have launched a tip line etc

so go to yea.org and read 

2 hours ago, chris7997 said:

Did I say YEA was sweeping things under the rug? My response was to an the old Board post.  I don't know what the new Board is like. They may be terrific.    

Good for her. I'm glad she's supporting the Cadets and standing up!  I don't believe in making everyone a victim or guilty because some were a few bad apples.   Please understand. 

But I'm concerned about the danger to say, "yeah yeah...there was sexual abuse...and there still might be...but look, some of the victims are supporting the corps...we got it taken care of. Let's just move on.  Come on.  Let it go. Nothing to see here anymore."  It's been what, a week?!  A week of action?  Healing and changing the culture doesn't happen in one week.   I'm not saying you are saying that, but you could imagine that some drum corps fans, leaders, whomever who just want to "be entertained" for the next season and don't want these things to be exposed. 

Calling for more accountability and exposure and time on focusing on this issue of sexual abuse is not "un-supporting" the corps themselves. It's supporting the corps, whichever corps, because it's wanting the corps to be healthy and safe.  It's actually a healthy thing that we just don't want fans to focus on the next season and take some time to focus on what's really important.   Who cares about the next season?  Drum corps is not life.  It's not religion. "Drum corps seasons" aren't sacred.    But for too many people it is "the ultimate" and that leads I think to some of these issues. 

allow me to be blunt

aint no one with the cadets organization saying "all done move forward"

not one ####### person

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris7997 said:

I got to tell you, I don't know if the initial statement by the YEA Board of Directors in response to the sexual abuse allegations was the OLD board or the NEW board, but it is pathetic (assuming the allegations are true).  I wrote about this on another stream, but I think it's worth exposing again. ...

So it's a useful object lesson for you to be posting as you have (in two threads): before commenting on an explosive subject, we should try to make ourselves fully informed.

For instance, are you aware that DCI has put Cadets on probation?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

allow me to be blunt

aint no one with the cadets organization saying "all done move forward"

not one ####### person

The safety and protection of the kids is never done. It's an ongoing job that must not be compromised.

21 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

The safety and protection of the kids is never done. It's an ongoing job that must not be compromised.

I think this is dawning on DCI HQ right now.  Some member corps do a much better job at this than others. There are ones that have strong policies in place already that are re-reviewing them as a result of the GH incident to see of they can still do better.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, chris7997 said:

Calling for more accountability and exposure and time on focusing on this issue of sexual abuse is not "un-supporting" the corps themselves. It's supporting the corps, whichever corps, because it's wanting the corps to be healthy and safe.  It's actually a healthy thing that we just don't want fans to focus on the next season and take some time to focus on what's really important.   Who cares about the next season?  Drum corps is not life.  It's not religion. "Drum corps seasons" aren't sacred.    But for too many people it is "the ultimate" and that leads I think to some of these issues. 

The organization can walk and chew gum at the same time. They have been aggressively dealing with the issues at hand and putting in place structures to support the victims (known and unknown), are working with National experts to create best in class training and guidelines to make sure the health and safety of EVERYONE comes first while at the same time stabilizing the organization and reviewing the finances to make sure they will be able to keep all their commitments without sacrificing the work in other areas. So, how about we let the new kids in town (the new YEA Board) who are the ones with the actual authority to address these issues a minute and a half to get some things figured out.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, chris7997 said:

Did I say YEA was sweeping things under the rug? My response was to an the old Board post.  I don't know what the new Board is like. They may be terrific.    

Good for her. I'm glad she's supporting the Cadets and standing up!  I don't believe in making everyone a victim or guilty because some were a few bad apples.   Please understand. 

But I'm concerned about the danger to say, "yeah yeah...there was sexual abuse...and there still might be...but look, some of the victims are supporting the corps...we got it taken care of. Let's just move on.  Come on.  Let it go. Nothing to see here anymore."  It's been what, a week?!  A week of action?  Healing and changing the culture doesn't happen in one week.   I'm not saying you are saying that, but you could imagine that some drum corps fans, leaders, whomever who just want to "be entertained" for the next season and don't want these things to be exposed. 

Your pitchfork has particularly pointy tines.  Perhaps you should blunt your tips on the concrete before you plunge it into the chests of those who have kept current with events.

The first post of the controversy thread has links to EVERYTHING.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, chris7997 said:

Ok fine. The new Board may be wonderful.  I haven't seen them apologize for the old Board's initial statement.   But I still believe it's worth exposing to keep the new Board accountable to realizing that we don't want statements about how great a season this is going to be this year!  So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   

I believe everyone's time to "move on" is different, but I also believe that none see their "move-on moment" as an intentional insult to the victims.

People heal differently.