Sign in to follow this  
Dchristian125

The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

    • Yes
      135
    • No
      45


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

After the recent events regarding the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, I have come to wonder what the future will be for the corps. I personally will say that the Cadets are an amazing corps and always put on a fun, entertaining show. However, now that the corps reputation has been badly damaged, I am fearing the worst. Many people who I have spoken to have said that people will not want to march Cadets because of everything that has happened. People are thinking that they don’t want to be part of a corps with a history of sexual harassment and assault. As a result of this, some people are thinking that the corps will eventually die out because no one would want to march there. I know this whole thing is a theory; however, there are lots of people who share and believe in these theories. 

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march in the Cadets? Please anwser in the poll provided.

Edited by Dchristian125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

some people are thinking that the corps will eventually die out because no one would want to march there. .

 Huh ? I have not heard that sentiment expressed  here on DCP, nor anywhere else on Social Media  If you are hearing this, it sounds ridiculous as an opinion, ie   that the Corps will eventually die out because " no one would want to march there. " 

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

 Huh ? I have not heard that sentiment expressed  here on DCP, nor anywhere else on Social Media  If you are hearing this, it sounds ridiculous as an opinion, ie   that " no one would want to march there. " 

These are all theories that I’ve been hearing not from DCP but from people who are involved in the marching arts.

Edited by Dchristian125
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

Hi everyone,

After the recent events regarding the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, I have come to wonder what the future will be for the corps. I personally will say that the Cadets are an amazing corps and always put on a fun, entertaining show. However, now that the corps reputation has been badly damaged, I am fearing the worst. Many people who I have spoken to have said that people will not want to march Cadets because of everything that has happened. People are thinking that they don’t want to be part of a corps with a history of sexual harassment and assault. As a result of this, some people are thinking that the corps will eventually die out because no one would want to march there. I know this whole thing is a theory; however, there are lots of people who share and believe in these theories. 

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march in the Cadets? Please anwser in the poll provided.

Cadets have cleaned house. I look at this sort of like air travel after 9/11. I have always thought the safest day to fly was the day the airlines resumed flights after that fateful day. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never would have wanted to march there anyway. Even before it came out that Hopkins was a rapist, they were infamous for eating and sleeping less than anyone else, and as a result having more people either getting hurt or burning out and leaving early than pretty much any other corps. And their lousy show design lately certainly didn't improve my impression of them. I do know people who left my corps to go there, but why you'd pick the Cadets as the corps you want to make finals with over literally anyone else is beyond me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of the allegations of assault within The Cadets by the director were current, it would tear up the corps from the inside.  So far everything is from years ago and the one person who has been accused is gone.  So the members can look at each other and band together (which is exactly what is happening).  My prediction is that with 50 DCI corps out there, odds are someone is going to have a more current problem.  That will be a much bigger problem for recruitment.  Penn State's recruitment suffered for several years because their problems were ongoing at the time they were discovered.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

These are all theories that I’ve been hearing not from DCP but from people who are involved in the marching arts.

 Thats a shame then. I seriously doubt that the Cadets will eventually fold because" nobody will want to march there anymore ". If the former Cadets victims sue for financial damages in Civil Court, that would be highly problematic to the Cadets/ Cadets2 eventual survival, imo... but not that " no one would want to march there anymore ". From reports from George Dixon, Eleran and others there has been no defections, and the Corps is doing super, and better than last season talent wise. If "nobody wants to march there ", then how does one square that sentiment with the reality that the reports from people close to the Corps that the Corps is stronger this season than last season in both numbers of vet returnees, and in overall marcher numbers and talent ?

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Cadets have cleaned house. I look at this sort of like air travel after 9/11. I have always thought the safest day to fly was the day the airlines resumed flights after that fateful day. 

I agree on your point on safety...I think the intimation here is more about the stigma that is attached...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Icer said:

  Penn State's recruitment suffered for several years because their problems were ongoing at the time they were discovered.

... and Penn State's Football Program did not die because " no one wanted to play there anymore ". The NCAA put heavy sanctions and penalties on that School too. It took a hit, but they rebounded nicely after cleaning house. ( and yes, I realize that Penn State has the resources to withstand such a period better than  YEA, as we are a very niche activity, with not a lot of room for financial hits to any Corps ). Most DCI Corps that fail to survive do not fold  because " no one wants to march there anymore ". They fold because that Corps could no longer financially afford to perform and compete anymore.

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I would let my son march The Cadets, if he were of age (same with a hypothetical daughter).  Right now, it would be the safest place to be, quite honestly with all of the attention and process improvement going on.  Cadets are cleaning house ...but, who knows what else is out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.