The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

40 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

... and Penn State's Football Program did not die because " no one wanted to play there anymore ". The NCAA put heavy sanctions and penalties on that School too. It took a hit, but they rebounded nicely after cleaning house. ( and yes, I realize that Penn State has the resources to withstand such a period better than  YEA, as we are a very niche activity, with not a lot of room for financial hits to any Corps ). Most DCI Corps that fail to survive do not fold  because " no one wants to march there anymore ". They fold because that Corps could no longer financially afford to perform and compete anymore.

Ohio State was punished far more by both the NCAA and the B1G for tattoos for trinkets. Look it up. PSU had their scholarships restored while Ohio State scholarships were still under suspension. Now they have a full time tattoo person and put them in the Woody Hayes [Athletic Center]. Either way both schools recovered just fine, hopefully so will Cadets.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-21/chronology-ohio-state-scandal

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/ohio-state-gets-bowl-ban-loss-of-scholarships-1.3401982

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 3

If the news regarding the Cadets hit the press last fall, I think our discussions at this point would be different and fielding a corps would be in jeopardy. It hit in April with the brass spots filled and attendance at the April brass camp was encouraging. If the same holds true when color guard and percussion are included at the last camp before move in, Cadets will be off to a good start, and reliable folks on this site believe that will be the case.

The test will not be fielding a corps that will be ready in June. The summer will be critical. For the past few years, some have blamed GH and behind the scenes drama as part of the reason placement dropped. The drama and stress of this situation cannot make its way to the field. It could impact marching members who do not age out who may choose to march elsewhere next year. There can be no unexpected surprises such as the corps having to do a sudden fundraiser to complete the tour. Further allegations against GH will not help, .save GH campaigns” could make things worse, and if it turns out GH turned a blind eye to sexual misconduct between staff and marching members because of his actions, it could be a fatal blow.

This coming summer seems to be all set, but how things go this summer will be what determines the future. My thought is the corps will survive but what happens between now and Labor Day will be critical.

Now, to the poll question. Since those who answer are active on DCP, the answer will be yes. However, how many of us have children eligible to march? If we do not have children who could march with Cadets, i’m not sure we can accurately answer it. Personally I believe that Cadets will be the safest place for a kid to march, but if I had a son or daughter who wanted to march, if I was not 100% comfortable,  I’d probably steer them to another corps. If I had a child and as a parent did not know much about drum corps and googled Cadets, my kid would not be marching. In this age of helicopter parenting, I would not be alone, and this is why this summer will be critical for next year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have before the news broke. Now with that person out, i would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

I never would have wanted to march there anyway. Even before it came out that Hopkins was a rapist, they were infamous for eating and sleeping less than anyone else, and as a result having more people either getting hurt or burning out and leaving early than pretty much any other corps. And their lousy show design lately certainly didn't improve my impression of them. I do know people who left my corps to go there, but why you'd pick the Cadets as the corps you want to make finals with over literally anyone else is beyond me.

We will mark you down as a definite “maybe” lol

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Now, to the poll question. Since those who answer are active on DCP, the answer will be yes. However, how many of us have children eligible to march? If we do not have children who could march with Cadets, i’m not sure we can accurately answer it. Personally I believe that Cadets will be the safest place for a kid to march, but if I had a son or daughter who wanted to march, if I was not 100% comfortable,  I’d probably steer them to another corps. If I had a child and as a parent did not know much about drum corps and googled Cadets, my kid would not be marching. In this age of helicopter parenting, I would not be alone, and this is why this summer will be critical for next year.

I completely agree that this will likely be a very closely monitored corps and possibly one of the safest for awhile.  Having a currently eligible marching member and knowing some who are currently in the Cadets, I can tell you they are commonly called to a corps for reasons much bigger than one person.  It's about their own personal mission and how that corps fits in to that mission.  It's about a feeling, a dream, a goal, an experience, etc.  Some are Cadets because that is what they've always wanted to be - call it their dream corps.  Those I've spoken with haven't changed their dream corps, even with all this going on.  Quite the opposite actually.  They are terrified they may have to walk away and want nothing more than to have a successful season.  On the flip side, others are simply not drawn to particular corps, for whatever reason.  My particular member had no interest in being a Cadet - it just didn't call to him.  He tried a couple different corps and was blessed to be able to choose the one he felt best fit him.  It's such a personal experience and I truly hope the current members can continue to push forward and rebuild the true meaning of being a Cadet!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

I agree on your point on safety...I think the intimation here is more about the stigma that is attached...

Stigma and/or reputation need not develop into a long term or crippling problem unless the organization is seen as ignoring or making light of the factors that led to that stigma. I firmly believe that those now in charge, alumni, and the current marching members will do what is needed to insure that going forward, the reputation and integrity of the Cadets need not be of concern, and they will continue to be thought of as a highly desirable corps. The honor of the corps did not, and will not, end because of the shameful actions of a single individual. 

• Like 1

For the record- I knew I would never have fit in with them back when I could have marched Cadets. And that's not a slam on the corps, just knowing even then I wasn't the kind of person that fit there. I had friends in college that did and it was cool, I respected them greatly, good people. Westshore was a lot more of a bunch of crazy, talented anarchists in comparison... and I fit well with the zen there.

The more I knew about certain things there as time went on... friends at work would ask me that had kids that were thinking about it. I told them there were better options and choices, 98% because of the person in charge, 1% because I felt they could get a start in the activity for a lot less money as well, 1% because I thought there were too many head games being played there.

Now that the main problem is gone- yeah, I would send my kid there if I had one. Maybe in large part because of something that happened between Dad and I BITD. If I was going to a DCI unit, I wanted to go to BD. I was clear about it. Westshore had some ties with BD. It wasn't as crazy hard to pull off back then. Dad loves PR. He told me a few years ago, if I had wanted to go to Phantom.... we might have been able to find the money. So, just because I might not fit in a place myself and a kid of mine might... I think after what happened with me, I wouldn't stop them. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

Read the question and would rather hear what Cadets (and other other corps they might be interested in) are doing to make sure this does not happen. The past is one thing but any potential member should be concerned about the future as that is when they will be involved 

• Like 1

This may only be the beginning!  I hope there is no more accusations in this activity BUT I believe it's been going on and, unfortunately, the climate in our country is such that more people will stand up and tell their story. If so it could be the downfall of drum corps. I hope that this was the only blemish and we can move on and let the law deal with GH. Pray that there are no more!

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dchristian125 said:

Hi everyone,

After the recent events regarding the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, I have come to wonder what the future will be for the corps. I personally will say that the Cadets are an amazing corps and always put on a fun, entertaining show. However, now that the corps reputation has been badly damaged, I am fearing the worst. Many people who I have spoken to have said that people will not want to march Cadets because of everything that has happened. People are thinking that they don’t want to be part of a corps with a history of sexual harassment and assault. As a result of this, some people are thinking that the corps will eventually die out because no one would want to march there. I know this whole thing is a theory; however, there are lots of people who share and believe in these theories.

- There are just as many theorizing that Cadets will immediately and permanently improve their reputation and competitive outcomes now that the directorship and BOD have changed.

- I think most people understand and make the distinction between "bad people" and "bad organizations", and will not shun the organization for what bad people did in the past (especially when so many steps are being taken to remove the bad people, and make sure nothing remotely like that can ever happen there again).