The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

16 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Anyway, ignore at your own peril as there are many that are going to be far less sympathetic then I. The brand is tainted.

Funny /sad all these people trying to define the Cadets, saying that’s what Cadets are, Cadets are hard-working and they’ll fight for every tenth, that’s why I marched Cadets are in fact describing a Cadets culture.

If you think sexual harassment/abuse has only been present within the Cadets, stay tuned... Its presence is throughout the drum corps activity. As others have said, our community is a microcosm of our society

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Funny /sad all these people trying to define the Cadets, saying that’s what Cadets are, Cadets are hard-working and they’ll fight for every tenth, that’s why I marched Cadets are in fact describing a Cadets culture.

So we do acknowledge a Cadets Culture now?

Interesting 

Nobody is saying there isn't a Cadets culture, just that enabling rape isn't a part of the culture. I don't see the connection between working hard and fighting for every tenth and enabling rape. You want to throw the baby out with the bath water because you just don't like The Cadets or their supporters in general.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

If you think sexual harassment/abuse has only been present within the Cadets, stay tuned... Its presence is throughout the drum corps activity. As others have said, our community is a microcosm of our society

The environment is more condusive to such episodes if safety and reporting channels are not maximum sufficient/ efficient, as where else do we find over 3,000 youths and adults each summer away from home, traveling and sleeping in such close quarters for over 2 months ? That said, 95-99% of the people engaged in this summer activity do the right thing Id imagine,. But the sheer thousands of the numbers of participants in this activity all across the country would seem to logically point to others miss using their trust given to them by others in the past too. 1-3 % ( or whatever the percentage number is) is most certainly a number that mathmatically translates to more than just the number 1 ( ala, George Hopkins ).

Edited by BRASSO

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

What changes do you need to see?

It’s too early to say the corps is healthy. Most of the changes that have occurred have been mainly meant to stave off immediate financial ruin or are merely symbolic in nature. I need to see a consistent record of financial stability over a number of years. I want to see a clear and long record of transparency. I want to see a concerted effort to guarantee student safety on all levels. I want to see a system of accountability with a means of quick and decisive disciplinary action for those that violate a revised code of conduct for instructors and officers. Until I see these things in action consistently, I cannot in good conscience donate or send my students to an environment that engenders sexual abuse.

I hope that with George no longer associated with the organization, that the kids are treated better.  When I heard, two seasons ago, that they weren't even allowed to shower before finals, I felt sorry for the members.  Less sleep, no shower, less food does not make you a better corps.  Treat the kids better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Seriously? I mean like really?

And the rest of it, I don’t think you even understood my point.

But I did call it, described exactly what I’d get even though some want to say I’m wrong while giving it to me. You proved my point.

Anyway, ignore at your own peril as there are many that are going to be far less sympathetic then I. The brand is tainted.

So we do acknowledge a Cadets Culture now?

Interesting 

Acknowledging a culture is not the same thing as buying into it. I do think that some who follow the Cadets may find that all problems are not solved by removing G.H. and assembling a new board, and I do think their goals are great, but they may face challenges. I’ve also cautioned about expecting too much, and I have been responded to by people telling me how hard Cadets will push for every tenth. Are they describing a Cadets culture? Perhaps, but is it the culture GH developed? I don’t think so. You cannot expect that those who are closest to the corps are going to wave the white flag of surrender. That is not a drum corps tradition. I grew up in the Boston area and have never lived outside the greater Boston area, and the corps of my childhood are BAC, 27th, and North Star. The BAC today is very different from the BAC I see today, and in the early 80’s if you told me only one of the three would be competing today, I would have predicted 27th, maybe North Star, Boston Crusaders a long shot. When I see Boston Crusaders today, I still see that small, gritty, take no prisoners BAC. When I see Cadets, I have seen some of the greatest shows of all time, but I always go back to my favorite Cadets show, 1980, when some astute Cadets observers  said they would make finals and not look back.

• Thanks 1

The Cadets as an organization will be fine... the Cadets as a competitive drum corps will be fine... it's an unfortunate set of events that have occurred but they need to take these changes and use this as an opportunity to re-create and re-define themselves. 

In the 90's and early 2000's they were pretty consistently near the top - as drum corps began to evolve into WGI on a football field (not trying to start that debate, just stating the trend change) the Cadets didn't seem to keep up or know which direction to go.  I personally wish they would go back to the traditional 90's early 2000 style shows and quit forcing too much just to try to fit in with the other corps styles... but in order the be competitive, this may not work as well?

Just be the Cadets - in music, style, drill, etc. even if you stick with the traditional/older uniform - we don't need 15 bluecoats/devils/knights etc out on the field

Edited by dcibrando

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I'm going to confess ignorance.  I had never heard the name George Zingali until now.  I googled it, and now I do.  From what I can see, it looks like he died quite some time ago.  So while I am sorry to hear what your friend went through, I don't see how it is relevant in the context of accusing people who are on the scene NOW of having protected anyone.  All of the anger should be directed at one person unless there are specific allegations against people who are alive of either having done something or ignored something.

You need to remember that many of the allegations that have been reported included several victims from the same time period when Mr. Zingali was with the Corps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I'm going to confess ignorance.  I had never heard the name George Zingali until now.  I googled it, and now I do.  From what I can see, it looks like he died quite some time ago.  So while I am sorry to hear what your friend went through, I don't see how it is relevant in the context of accusing people who are on the scene NOW of having protected anyone.  All of the anger should be directed at one person unless there are specific allegations against people who are alive of either having done something or ignored something.

Thanks for Googling.  I'm sure many here besides me can tell you about the impact that Zingali had on the activity, including at Cadets.

The reference to Zingali was, in fact, to identify that there was an era where much of what is considered harassment today was just playing around back then.

Many involved in the discussion have posited that anyone "with knowledge" who didn't speak up is, somehow, almost an accomplice for not reporting the culture at Cadets since the time of the original harassment, according to the claims.  My point is that it's likely that, at the time, there was nothing to report.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wallace said:

It’s too early to say the corps is healthy. Most of the changes that have occurred have been mainly meant to stave off immediate financial ruin or are merely symbolic in nature. I need to see a consistent record of financial stability over a number of years. I want to see a clear and long record of transparency. I want to see a concerted effort to guarantee student safety on all levels. I want to see a system of accountability with a means of quick and decisive disciplinary action for those that violate a revised code of conduct for instructors and officers. Until I see these things in action consistently, I cannot in good conscience donate or send my students to an environment that engenders sexual abuse.

Thanks for the response. I disagree with the last sentence completely however, it applies much more to a couple other corps organizations in comparison to Cadets.